Difference Between SLI and Non certified?

w4ffl35

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I was wondering about the difference in power supplies when they say SLI certified and non-Certified. Because the certified ones are usually $100+ more expensive. All help appreciated.

mpjesse

Splendid
The logo guarantees that the power supply has enough power to run 2x nVidia cards. That's all. So basically you're paying for bragging rights.

So long as you get a PSU over 500W, SLi will work fine. Don't worry about that stupid certification.

I have a non-SLi certified PSU (485W) and it works fine in SLi. I have 2x 7800GTX's. Though, I wouldn't recommend getting anything under 500W... I'm just special. :wink:

-mpjesse

RamaX

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
Glad i checked out this forum and thread~! Im building 3 systems and was just about done, just double checking my chices of power supplies and boy im glad i did~!.
Im going with the Biostar VNF4SLI, and on kid will get a 7800GT the other 2 will get 6800 GT`s. Im not going to get 2 cards for each yet, but i got the SLI for upgradability. I was considering the FSP for the 2 680GT machines and a Thermaltake for the 7800GT machine. I had thought that 450 should have been enough power, and at 480 was def good, i was alot more concerned about what im hearing about single VS dual 12 volt (which im not even sure if they are referring to cords/lines or what) but im glad i read this thread, are you saying NEITHER of these power supplies will be good ? Should i upgrade to maybe an Antec ?
PS: i wasnt real concerned about the LEDs on the Themaltake, but it would be nice as that machine will be in a clear acrylic case (4 fan) so it was a nice little bonus LED, so if you have any recomednations id love to hear them, and LED is i suppose a sweet bonus.

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Not 100% sure, but I think that there is one other difference between an SLI-Ready and non-SLI ready PSU besides the total available power: 2 PCIe 6-pin power connectors on it. Prevents you frm having to use 2 molex connectors and an adapter to power the second card.

With Riches 400W load on benchies, it should be noted that those systems are generally streamlined to their necessarry components. I.E. single optical drive, single hard drive. So make sure that you leave yourself enough room for any other components you're putting in.

While I don't like that ATI and nVidia don't disclose the power-draw of their GPUs, at least they're smart enough to leave themselves plenty of headroom on their minimum PSU requirements to account for many additional items, rather than bare minimums.