Computer sometimes freezes after startup.

My computer will freeze after start up within a minute of the boot up finishing. I have to restart the computer and it sometimes freezes on boot up or after boot up. After 2 - 4 times of this happening, my comp boots and runs fine.

I've run in safe mode and it still freezes.

Startup repair did nothing.

I can't do error checking to my 160 GB WD HDD because last time I did that, when the countdown to error checking would start, the computer would freeze up at 1 second and the keyboard wouldn't work so I would not be able to stop it, so I had to reinstall Windows.

I've tried switching cables.

I've updated the BIOS for my MOBO

Installed all drivers to date

Ran a virus scan

Not really sure if this is a hard drive problem or a motherboard problem or something else. Not a windows problem because I've reinstalled it twice now. What's going on?
5 answers Last reply
More about computer freezes startup
  1. We need your basic system specs to give a qualified answer. However, you are describing a possible heat/power issue. Be sure to include the make/model of your motherboard, power supply, and video card, along with all installed devices and the flavor of Win 7 you are using.

Please clarify and good luck!
  2. Quote:
    We need your basic system specs to give a qualified answer. However, you are describing a possible heat/power issue. Be sure to include the make/model of your motherboard, power supply, and video card, along with all installed devices and the flavor of Win 7 you are using.

Specs

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz
    Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770
    160 GB HDD for Windows 7
    1 TB HDD
    Asus M4A88TD-V Evo/USB3 Motherboard
    1920 x 1080 23" Screen
    Asus DVD drive
  3. AS79 said:
    Quote:
    We need your basic system specs to give a qualified answer. However, you are describing a possible heat/power issue. Be sure to include the make/model of your motherboard, power supply, and video card, along with all installed devices and the flavor of Win 7 you are using.

Specs

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz
    Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770
    160 GB HDD for Windows 7
    1 TB HDD
    Asus M4A88TD-V Evo/USB3 Motherboard
    1920 x 1080 23" Screen
    Asus DVD drive

What make/model of PSU?
  4. COLGeek said:
    What make/model of PSU?

Corsair 950TX
  5. Are you overclocking anything? If so, stop until the problem is resolved. How much memory do you have and what speed is it running? Also, have you tested your memory?
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Boot Windows 7