Heatsink/Fan for X2 with light OC

HisoKa

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
guys.. i got X2 4200 with A8N32-SLI in my cooler master centurion 5 case... using stock HSF now... and planning t give it light oc... what's the best HSF for it...?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
For a light OC? Stock.

But for better try the Thermalright SI-120 and a nice quiet 120mm fan. Or a Scythe Ninja (I think that's what its called... hate my memory sometimes... :cry: ) is almost as good I understand.

Mike.

HisoKa

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
schyte ninja... heard about it before... how about the ones from zalman...? i think its the cnps 7000? or 7700 im not sure... lotsa ppl talking about it... and... will it be expensive...? like... above 60-70US$?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Zalman is OK, I'd probably put it about the lvl of the ninja. 9500 & 7700 are better than the 7000, but they have fit issues with some mobos.

The other thing I don't like (not that this is bad since their fans are pretty quiet) is that it comes with a fan - the SI-120 or XP-90 let you choose your choice of fan - very high flow (CFM) for a little more noise, med flow and quiet, adjustable, etc.

Mike.

HisoKa

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
hmm... if id get the SI-120 or XP-90... what is the best Fan with Noise to airflow ratio do u think...? will silenX do...?

BlueMoonKid

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Light overclocking ? That is a bit funny to me . .cuz there is always the temptation for a few more MHZ of speed. sort of like a woman being just a little bit pregnant. You can live dangerously and try to control heat and stability with heatsinks and fans and monitor temps constantly or ya can get serious and go for max performance and max cooling together. Overclocking and watercooling are meant for each other . . if you dont overclock you dont need watercooling.(unless you have a Pentium 4 . .then you need watercooling in the winter in Alaska). Non stock heatsinks and fans on CPUs seems to be a waste of money cuz a stock HSF does well (not overclocked) and if your gonna push things over the limit then you need more than HSF to deal with the heat.

HisoKa

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
well.. to begin with... watercooling is a bit too expensive for me... secondly... because that is my primary computer... placing a water cooling will become too much of a hassle and requires lotsa time and attention. since im moving from places to places (im doing my degree overseas) so it will not be a practical solution ^^ tts y i guess ill just get some pretty good heatsink/fan and oc my system abit... just to get more value out of my money and simply quenching my curiosity and interest abt computer.

thx for your suggestion ^^

RichPLS

Champion
The BigWaterSE is $100 and can be mounted internal in many mid-tower cases, and most all tower cases. Very good quality beginner/intermediate water cooling, that is simple to maintain and use.