BFG 7800 GT freezing up - X200 chipset problem?

ffmadcow

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I recently went to the BFG 7800 GT OC card from the X700 Pro. Nice upgrade, but since doing so, my BF2 has started freezing up a ton. It seems to be graphics related, but the card is not getting too hot - doesn't go over 60C. Usually not over 55C. It just freezes, then causes a reboot.

The question is this (and I have contacted BFG tech support, but they are so freaking slow) - are there issues with the ATI X200 chipset with this card? I uninstalled the ATI drivers when I installed the NVidia ones, and am wondering if perhaps I need to reinstall them for at least the mobo/chipset support? Any ideas here?

Yes, I am at the 81.95 drivers. AMD 64 3200+ Winchester, 1.5 gig RAM, MSI-7093 mobo. Am also wondering if my PSU might be crapping out - I upgraded to a 430 W, but maybe should go with a 550 Antec (I am gonna build a new gaming rig with that 7800 GT anyway).

Thanks in advance.

ffmadcow

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah, I cleaned them all out. Then this AM I reinstalled the ATI chipset drivers and downgraded my NVIdia drivers to 78.01 per BFG's recommendation, and still no dice. BF2 freezes up at very inoportune times.

I am thinking power supply now. It is a 430 W supply, which should be fine, but I have a feeling that it is not getting the juice it needs. Speedfan is registering only 9.31V on the 12V rail, I believe. It was cheap (cooler master) so I am thinking that must be it at this point. I have sent Newegg an email wanting a refund.

Does this sound plausible to others?