My first flight with a King Air

Well damn, this thing is *fast!*

So fast, in fact, that I was caught quite unawares on the runway and for
the first time in my short FS2004 career, I had a pretty bumpy takeoff.
Never mind, once I was up in the air I started to have fun.

Is it just me, or is the KA somehow configured for a smooth flight? It
handled absolutely beautifully all the way home, and made me look like
an expert! Unprepared though I was for the raw power - that thing
actually /wants/ to go fast and won't take no for an answer - flying it
was a dream. Isn't the cockpit odd though? It looks simultaneously
older and newer than the Baron's. Like the radio stack, for example.

There were some other things I wasn't prepared for. Where has my
throttle indicator gone?! I assume I'm now supposed to be adjusting
that "torque" stuff, whatever that is. As if manifold pressure wasn't
complicated enough...
Oh, and how about the engine starter thingies? I like to end every
flight by properly parking the aircraft and shutting down the engines,
but I couldn't find a way to do that in the KA. I ended up having to
just use the fuel mixture levers to cut the engines (something that I
guess makes the real pilots in this group shudder).

All in all, though, it was a glorious flight. My first time past the
10,000 feet barrier too! I was looking down on clouds and everything!
I think it might not be long before I start on the jets - can't wait for
that! :)

Huw

petebert

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003

king airs are sweet, might be what i buy when i win the lotto

"Petebert" <castle@nthrax.org> wrote in message
> king airs are sweet, might be what i buy when i win the lotto

You and me both. My wife says though, that if she wins, I am out of luck!! I
already have enough "toys"!!!! <LOL>

Paul

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Huw Roberts wrote:

> Hehe....erm....yes, that's what I was doing. And I thought I was doing
> the right thing, too! Ah well, you learn something every day.
> Especially when you're learning how to fly airplanes. ;)
>
> Huw

Hey Huw,

You might want to check out AeroTexas.com.

The checkride to join is a flight in the default King Air. Just be sure
to cross both VORs and land at the correct airport to pass. :)

It's not a very big VA but has a couple nice airplanes to fly. I like
the old TTA flights but they only have an old Convair 240. They say they
are going to get more in but it's been a while now. But you start out
with some smaller twins and progress. It's just something to do while
you are learning. They have a verification program which you start when
you are ready to taxi and complete it when you are at the destination
gate. It makes it easy to log the hours and hard for someone to cheat
by writing down more hours than flown.

Here are a couple flights I've flown.

http://xs20.xs.to/pics/05112/atx-19febcv2400tj.jpg

http://xs20.xs.to/pics/05112/atx-cv240kaus7cp.jpg

http://xs20.xs.to/pics/05112/atx-e1358vp.jpg

http://xs20.xs.to/pics/05112/atx-fuel-problem.jpg

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

boB wrote:

> Hey Huw,
>
> You might want to check out AeroTexas.com.
>
> The checkride to join is a flight in the default King Air. Just be sure
> to cross both VORs and land at the correct airport to pass. :)
>
> It's not a very big VA but has a couple nice airplanes to fly. I like
> the old TTA flights but they only have an old Convair 240. They say they
> are going to get more in but it's been a while now. But you start out
> with some smaller twins and progress. It's just something to do while
> you are learning. They have a verification program which you start when
> you are ready to taxi and complete it when you are at the destination
> gate. It makes it easy to log the hours and hard for someone to cheat
> by writing down more hours than flown.
>
> Here are a couple flights I've flown.
>
> http://xs20.xs.to/pics/05112/atx-19febcv2400tj.jpg
>
> http://xs20.xs.to/pics/05112/atx-cv240kaus7cp.jpg
>
> http://xs20.xs.to/pics/05112/atx-e1358vp.jpg
>
> http://xs20.xs.to/pics/05112/atx-fuel-problem.jpg

Hi Bob!

First of all I want to say I'm flattered I've been offered to apply for
your VA! I've looked into a couple and it sounds like a lot of fun.

The thing is, though, is that I really don't think I'm ready for
anything like that. I'm still very much at the bottom of a learning
curve, and I'm doing more messing around than learning at the moment.
There are whole chunks of material I haven't bothered reading about yet,
and to be honest I don't even fully understand exactly what everything
does in my King Air cockpit.

Maybe in a month or so? :)

Thanks again,
Huw

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Huw Roberts wrote:

> Hi Bob!
>
> First of all I want to say I'm flattered I've been offered to apply for
> your VA! I've looked into a couple and it sounds like a lot of fun.
>
> The thing is, though, is that I really don't think I'm ready for
> anything like that. I'm still very much at the bottom of a learning
> curve, and I'm doing more messing around than learning at the moment.
> There are whole chunks of material I haven't bothered reading about yet,
> and to be honest I don't even fully understand exactly what everything
> does in my King Air cockpit.
>
> Maybe in a month or so? :)
>
> Thanks again,
> Huw

Thanks Huw. But it's not my VA. I'm just one of the pilots flying
there. It's a VA with some fairly easy flights where you can learn while
having a purpose in mind. I still fly there but am flying a lot more
with Livewire VA. They had a couple helicopters there that I like to
fly. I haven't tried any of their fixed wings yet but that's coming. :)

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)