VPN Clients Disconnect After Exactly Two Minutes

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.ras (More info?)

I have a PPTP VPN server setup with RRAS on a Windows Server 2003
Enterprise box I have here. It's behind a Linux NAT with 1723/tcp
forwarded to the server and GRE passthrough enabled in the kernel of
the router. Some clients can connect fine and stay connected for days.
Some, however, will connect and the connection will stop to funtion
after two minutes exactly. I can watch them connect, ping them and
when their connection time hits 00:02:00, I can't ping them any more
and eventually they drop the connection.

Like I said, only some clients do this. I've not been able to find
what's the same between each client that it doesn't work on. For
example, some aren't behind a firewall at all. Some are behind a NAT.
I'm behind a PIX firewall from another location and it does it. Some
of the clients that it does work fine for for days are also behind the
same setups as those that it does not work for -- linksys routers,
fully public machines, etc.

I have no idea what is causing this. Anyone have any thoughts?

-ee99ee

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.ras (More info?)

Apparently, I am having the same exact problem, but with W2K server. The technet article 834426 seems to refer to a similar occurrence, but with demand-dial PPTP connections disconnecting after 1 minute and 30 seconds or so. This really doesn't help, because although I do have a demand-dial interface on the server, it is configured properly, and working fine. The disconnections are random clients, NOT the demand-dial interface. The event ID: 20048 from RemoteAccess that gets logged in the system log suggests that the user is requesting the disconnection, but this is obviously bogus. This is happenning to several of my remote users, and they are getting frustrated. Anyone out there who can help? It would be greatly appreciated. Here is an example of the event that is associated with the disconnection:
Event Type: Information
Event Source: RemoteAccess
Event Category: None
Event ID: 20048
Date: 7/29/2004
Time: 7:05:33 PM
User: N/A
Computer: EXODUS
The user HOMEBASE\xxxxxx connected on port VPN3-13 on 07/29/2004 at 07:03pm and disconnected on 07/29/2004 at 07:05pm. The user was active for 1 minutes 59 seconds. 1822773 bytes were sent and 170064 bytes were received. The port speed was 100000000. The reason for disconnecting was user request.