Landing

Smoothly landing an aircraft, whether with or without ILS, is the most
satisfying part of aviation. So says I.

Huw

crash

Huw Roberts wrote:
> Smoothly landing an aircraft, whether with or without ILS, is the most
> satisfying part of aviation. So says I.

If you can reuse the aircraft, it was a wonderful landing!!

I favor small rural fields, sometimes devoid of any nearby nav aids, and
with some inclement weather cranked in, sometimes just finding the field to
even attempt the landing is exhilarating!! Unless you "cheat" by using the
map or GPS.. d:->))

Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
Don

dallas

"Huw Roberts"
> Smoothly landing an aircraft, whether with or without ILS, is the most
> satisfying part of aviation. So says I.

Followed closely by getting yourself into a life threatening situation and
saving yourself.

:)

Dallas

> "Huw Roberts"
> > Smoothly landing an aircraft, whether with or without ILS, is the most
> > satisfying part of aviation. So says I.
>
> Followed closely by getting yourself into a life threatening situation and
> saving yourself.
>
> :)
>
> Dallas

Without spilling your beverage

shu

CRaSH wrote:
> Huw Roberts wrote:
>
>>Smoothly landing an aircraft, whether with or without ILS, is the most
>>satisfying part of aviation. So says I.
>>

> If you can reuse the aircraft, it was a wonderful landing!!
>
> I favor small rural fields, sometimes devoid of any nearby nav aids, and
> with some inclement weather cranked in, sometimes just finding the field to
> even attempt the landing is exhilarating!! Unless you "cheat" by using the
> map or GPS.. d:->))
>
> Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
> Don

Yeah, I try not to use the map or the GPS either. I suppose it isn't
really cheating if real pilots use them, but I just feel they take too
much of the joys of navigation away.

I'll probably feel differently once I start flying in atrocious weather
conditions. ;)

Huw

"Huw Roberts" <f@ke.com> wrote in message
> CRaSH wrote:
>> I favor small rural fields, sometimes devoid of any nearby nav aids, and
>> with some inclement weather cranked in, sometimes just finding the field
>> to even attempt the landing is exhilarating!! Unless you "cheat" by
>> using the map or GPS.. d:->))
>>
>> Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
>> Don
>
> Yeah, I try not to use the map or the GPS either. I suppose it isn't
> really cheating if real pilots use them, but I just feel they take too
> much of the joys of navigation away.
>
> I'll probably feel differently once I start flying in atrocious weather
> conditions. ;)
>
> Huw

You better believe it. A real pilot uses everything he/she can get their
hands on.
All the time!!!!! We do not have a death wish. "There are old pilots, and
bold pilots, but no old bold pilots." Being stupid is an accident looking
for a place to happen. :)

Paul

crash

Paul Riley wrote:

> You better believe it. A real pilot uses everything he/she can get
> their hands on.

But in the sim you can be dumb as a fence post and survive, hell I ......
ahh, errrr.... never mind.....

Seriously though, when I was flying IRL back in the 60's (and walked to
school 5 miles in the snow, uphill, both ways) the 150's had a single
com/nav factory POS radio, and that was it!! Plus I try to imagine what I'd
have if I could afford anything today, and it'd probably be a ultralite with
a handheld com radio - so I try and keep the memories alive........ True,
the new stuff makes life easier, just like microwaves, but it's still fun to
apply the old technologies..... At least for us old farts that aren't
trying to prepare for current RL realities... d:->))

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

> "Huw Roberts"
> > Smoothly landing an aircraft, whether with or without ILS, is the most
> > satisfying part of aviation. So says I.
>
> Followed closely by getting yourself into a life threatening situation and
> saving yourself.

As the saying goes.....
The exceptionally skilled pilot uses his exceptional pilot skills to avoid
those situations which might require the use of his exceptional skill as a
pilot.

Steve

dallas

"CRaSH"
> apply the old technologies..... At least for us old farts that aren't
> trying to prepare for current RL realities... d:->))

No.. you are not being silly. I know two commercial pilots that climb out
of EFIS equipped aircraft and into the most basic aircraft you can imagine
just to have some fun flying.

Dallas

Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

> "CRaSH"
>> apply the old technologies..... At least for us old farts that aren't
>> trying to prepare for current RL realities... d:->))
>
> No.. you are not being silly. I know two commercial pilots that climb out
> of EFIS equipped aircraft and into the most basic aircraft you can imagine
> just to have some fun flying.

You know what they say... How do you take all of the fun out of a hobby?
Make it a career.

It's always interesting how most people who romanticize about fun flying
always equate it to simpler is better.

Me, I enjoy the challenges of IFR flying, which mixes basic
stick-and-rudder skills with a myriad of other important skills, from
technical to weather-related. Perhaps I enjoy this flying so much because
I do *not* do it every day.

--
Peter

> I favor small rural fields, sometimes devoid of any nearby nav aids,
> and with some inclement weather cranked in, sometimes just finding
> the field to even attempt the landing is exhilarating!! Unless you
> "cheat" by using the map or GPS.. d:->))
>
> Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
> Don

Come come Don, that's not cheating, that's good airmanship...

--
Cheers,

Quilly

crash

Quilljar wrote:

> Come come Don, that's not cheating, that's good airmanship...

True - IF I were flying today, and had a GPS, I would most likely put it to
good use, for the safety of those in the same air space if nothing else.
Can't you just picture an old 150 wandering around the sky, with some old
codger trying to get the sectional chart spread out and far enough away to
focus on?? d:->))

CRaSH wrote:
> Quilljar wrote:
>
>>Come come Don, that's not cheating, that's good airmanship...
>

> True - IF I were flying today, and had a GPS, I would most likely put it to
> good use, for the safety of those in the same air space if nothing else.
> Can't you just picture an old 150 wandering around the sky, with some old
> codger trying to get the sectional chart spread out and far enough away to
> focus on?? d:->))

That's the difference though, isn't it? If I were flying a plane in
real life, I'd make use of absolutely everything. In the game, though,
I like to add to the challenge by only using map/GPS when I really have to.

Huw

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:57:35 -0600, "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com>
wrote:

>I favor small rural fields, sometimes devoid of any nearby nav aids, and
>with some inclement weather cranked in, sometimes just finding the field to
>even attempt the landing is exhilarating!! Unless you "cheat" by using the
>map or GPS.. d:->))

Hi Crash

I guess I semi-cheat. Often, I tune my NDB to a suitable frequency, to
a beacon reasonably near but not at my destination. By doing this I
know that, at the very least, I'll be somewhere near my chosen landing
place.

However, using that GPS is all too easy - a temtation i do try to
avoid.

James

crash

James Hodson wrote:
> I guess I semi-cheat. Often, I tune my NDB to a suitable frequency, to
> a beacon reasonably near but not at my destination.

I guess cheat is a little dramatic, especially if you're really wanting
total emersion in the realities of flying today, with all the airspace
restrictions, etc., especially in urban areas, you really need to know
EXACTLY where you are. But navigation via Dead Reckoning (my initials
aren't DR Parker for nothing :) with just the fundamental electronics (NDB,
VOR, DME) and a sectional (or even an old road atlas), is just plain fun and
entertaining. Then throw in some nasty weather! In fact, even having a NDB
and DME was a luxury in the old 150 trainers, and having DUAL systems would
have been hog heaven! Almost like getting an IBM PC with DUAL 5.25" drives.
WOW! I dunno, but having everything laid out, labeled, headings, eta's, and
a bug tracing your exact route, is like using "paint by numbers", and
calling yourself an artist.... But then, I don't use ATC or the com radios
either - just drop in unannounced, grab a burger, some fuel, and leave
again.... Now that's cheating! d:->))

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 01:26:11 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> No.. you are not being silly. I know two commercial pilots that climb out
> of EFIS equipped aircraft and into the most basic aircraft you can imagine
> just to have some fun flying.

I once read about commercial pilots having trouble flying light GA's after
long periods of flying heavy airliners.
I think it had something to do with going from 'highly technical, but I use
it every day' to 'oh my god...where is the trimwheel??'.

--

Marcel
(There's no such thing as a natural-born pilot. - Chuck Yeager)

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:54:40 -0600, "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com>
wrote:

>James Hodson wrote:
>> I guess I semi-cheat. Often, I tune my NDB to a suitable frequency, to
>> a beacon reasonably near but not at my destination.
>
>I guess cheat is a little dramatic, especially if you're really wanting
>total emersion in the realities of flying today, with all the airspace
>restrictions, etc., especially in urban areas, you really need to know
>EXACTLY where you are. But navigation via Dead Reckoning (my initials
>aren't DR Parker for nothing :) with just the fundamental electronics (NDB,
>VOR, DME) and a sectional (or even an old road atlas), is just plain fun and
>entertaining. Then throw in some nasty weather! In fact, even having a NDB
>and DME was a luxury in the old 150 trainers, and having DUAL systems would
>have been hog heaven! Almost like getting an IBM PC with DUAL 5.25" drives.
>WOW! I dunno, but having everything laid out, labeled, headings, eta's, and
>a bug tracing your exact route, is like using "paint by numbers", and
>calling yourself an artist.... But then, I don't use ATC or the com radios
>either - just drop in unannounced, grab a burger, some fuel, and leave
>again.... Now that's cheating! d:->))

Hi DR!

I do most of my flying in GB and the island of Ireland. I do have a
road atlas for these islands (don't drive so not sure why I bought one
- I do love maps, though) and do a lot of my pre-flight "navigation"
using just that atlas.

Of course, the atlas is rather small scale so is not particularly
accurate. What I do is head off in a direction about 15 degrees away
from the direct direction (?) and only divert when I come across a
reckognizable landmark or pre-selected NDB.

Also, Crash, I try to use my clock and airspeed to calculate the
approximate time of arrival at wherever it is I'm heading towards.

One of these days I'll have to get hold of some realiatic scenery, if
only to make life a little easier for me.

James