Unable to delete a virus infected file

AVG informs me that a file in the depths of the System
Volume Information is infected, but XP home denies access.
I've tried taking the tick from the read only box, only
to find that it has appeared next time I look. Although I
can get the folder to show in explorer, I can't access it
at all, even when booting in Safe Mode command prompt, or
from another drive with XP on.
3 answers Last reply
More about unable delete virus infected file

    Greetings --

    To clear viruses from the "System Volume Information," simply turn
    off the System Restore feature (Start > All Programs > Accessories >
    System Tools > System Restore, System Restore Settings), reboot, then
    re-enable System Restore, and reboot one last time. This will delete
    all of your Restore Points, including the corrupted one(s), and allow
    you start with a clean slate.

    However, if you have Restore Points that you'd really rather not
    lose, and know which one is corrupted, very carefully try this:

    How to Gain Access to the System Volume Information Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;309531

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Martin Ellis" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > AVG informs me that a file in the depths of the System
    > Volume Information is infected, but XP home denies access.
    > I've tried taking the tick from the read only box, only
    > to find that it has appeared next time I look. Although I
    > can get the folder to show in explorer, I can't access it
    > at all, even when booting in Safe Mode command prompt, or
    > from another drive with XP on.

    Hi

    You will need to stop/start System Restore - this will also delete all
    existing checkpoints:

    Right click on My Computer, select Properties and then the System Restore
    tab. Enable 'Turn off System Restore on all drives' and click Apply>OK.
    Then reboot your PC. After that first reboot go back into System Restore,
    disable 'Turn off System Restore on all drives' and click Apply>OK. Then
    reboot your PC again. After this second reboot the virus would have been
    deleted and you will have a newly created checkpoint.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "Martin Ellis" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | AVG informs me that a file in the depths of the System
    | Volume Information is infected, but XP home denies access.
    | I've tried taking the tick from the read only box, only
    | to find that it has appeared next time I look. Although I
    | can get the folder to show in explorer, I can't access it
    | at all, even when booting in Safe Mode command prompt, or
    | from another drive with XP on.

    You got home OK then.
    Joan

    Will Denny wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > You will need to stop/start System Restore - this will also delete all
    > existing checkpoints:
    > snip>>

Windows XP