one computer can't see other workgroup computers

Hope someone can help! I've got a desktop, and two laptops. desktop is
wired into wireless router. laptops connect wirelessly (internet, printer
sharing all fine).

Desktop and Laptop1 can see all other computers in workgroup including
laptop2, and the print server, but cannot access any shared folders on
laptop2.

Laptop2 sees nothing except one shared folder on the desktop, and it cannot
access that.

Desktop and laptop1 are Winxp home sp2. laptop2 in winxp pro. all
computer nes are unique, and all workgroup names are the same.

Thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about computer workgroup computers

    Hi
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "xshacker" <xshacker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hope someone can help! I've got a desktop, and two laptops. desktop is
    > wired into wireless router. laptops connect wirelessly (internet, printer
    > sharing all fine).
    >
    > Desktop and Laptop1 can see all other computers in workgroup including
    > laptop2, and the print server, but cannot access any shared folders on
    > laptop2.
    >
    > Laptop2 sees nothing except one shared folder on the desktop, and it
    cannot
    > access that.
    >
    > Desktop and laptop1 are Winxp home sp2. laptop2 in winxp pro. all
    > computer nes are unique, and all workgroup names are the same.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Thanks for the link, but I've been thru that a few times - I will continue
    though, cause there's a lot of stuff there.

    I'm convinced the problem lies with the XP Pro machine. If I click 'View
    Workgroup Computers' enough times, I can eventually get to a point where all
    machines see everyone else and the print server. I have shared files between
    the 2 XP Home edition machines, and everyone can print wirelessly/wired.
    However, if any machine tries to 'look at' the XP Pro machine, it gets a
    'network path not found'. If the XP Pro machine tries to look at anything on
    the network, including the print server, it gets the same error, but as I
    said, it can print fine.

    Any Ideas?

    "Jack" wrote:

    > Hi
    > May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "xshacker" <xshacker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hope someone can help! I've got a desktop, and two laptops. desktop is
    > > wired into wireless router. laptops connect wirelessly (internet, printer
    > > sharing all fine).
    > >
    > > Desktop and Laptop1 can see all other computers in workgroup including
    > > laptop2, and the print server, but cannot access any shared folders on
    > > laptop2.
    > >
    > > Laptop2 sees nothing except one shared folder on the desktop, and it
    > cannot
    > > access that.
    > >
    > > Desktop and laptop1 are Winxp home sp2. laptop2 in winxp pro. all
    > > computer nes are unique, and all workgroup names are the same.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.

    Additional info:

    all computers can ping each others IP addresses. the WINXP PRO system
    however cannot ping or be pinged using the computer name option. but net
    view shows the PRO system by computer name. where is this information (for
    net view) coming from? must be the router, correct?

    "Jack" wrote:

    > Hi
    > May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "xshacker" <xshacker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hope someone can help! I've got a desktop, and two laptops. desktop is
    > > wired into wireless router. laptops connect wirelessly (internet, printer
    > > sharing all fine).
    > >
    > > Desktop and Laptop1 can see all other computers in workgroup including
    > > laptop2, and the print server, but cannot access any shared folders on
    > > laptop2.
    > >
    > > Laptop2 sees nothing except one shared folder on the desktop, and it
    > cannot
    > > access that.
    > >
    > > Desktop and laptop1 are Winxp home sp2. laptop2 in winxp pro. all
    > > computer nes are unique, and all workgroup names are the same.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.

    also, ipconfig show a node type of UNKNOWN for the 2 WINXP Home computers,
    but shows PEER-PEER for the XP PRO machine.

    "Jack" wrote:

    > Hi
    > May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "xshacker" <xshacker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hope someone can help! I've got a desktop, and two laptops. desktop is
    > > wired into wireless router. laptops connect wirelessly (internet, printer
    > > sharing all fine).
    > >
    > > Desktop and Laptop1 can see all other computers in workgroup including
    > > laptop2, and the print server, but cannot access any shared folders on
    > > laptop2.
    > >
    > > Laptop2 sees nothing except one shared folder on the desktop, and it
    > cannot
    > > access that.
    > >
    > > Desktop and laptop1 are Winxp home sp2. laptop2 in winxp pro. all
    > > computer nes are unique, and all workgroup names are the same.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.

Desktops Computers Wireless Networking