Windows RT Tablets Up to $300 Less Than Windows 8 Slates

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
windows rt at $300-$400 seems really attractive. i see the windows metro formula working really well with the tablets, and I have no doubt WinRT will be a very polished product. I might get one. just hope enough people start programming for it.

one thing Im wondering is how they plan to make WinRT tablets that cheap. If Im not mistaken, WinRT isnt free like Android(mostly). And if Im not mistaken, that "isnt free" is actually $85 for each liscense(if the old reports are true). how much is the compromise against other android tablets in that price? also is WinRT as resource hungry as android?

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Where i see Windows 8 making a lot of money from is tablets and mobile phones where i see it not making a lot of money is on desktops and laptops. The Modern UI works great on tablets and mobiel devices not so much on desktop and latops. I think and hopefully MS next edition of Windows OS comes with two versions a Tablet\Mobile edition of Windows 9 with Modenr UI and a Desktop\Laptop Edition of Windows 9 without the Modenr UI and with a start menu. That would be great or at the very least allow users to disable Windows 9 Modenr UI and enable the start menu in Windows 9 for daesktop and laptop users.

[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]Where i see Windows 8 making a lot of money from is tablets and mobile phones where i see it not making a lot of money is on desktops and laptops. The Modern UI works great on tablets and mobiel devices not so much on desktop and latops. I think and hopefully MS next edition of Windows OS comes with two versions a Tablet\Mobile edition of Windows 9 with Modenr UI and a Desktop\Laptop Edition of Windows 9 without the Modenr UI and with a start menu. That would be great or at the very least allow users to disable Windows 9 Modenr UI and enable the start menu in Windows 9 for daesktop and laptop users.[/citation]
I don't know what actually will happen, but there is some potential in touchscreen laptops. The current touchpads aren't all that fun to work with, and could benefit greatly from touchscreens.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Call me crazy but if its anything over 300-400 dollars I think I will pass.... in the 250-300 range we have things like the Nexus 7 and Galaxy Tab 2. They both work wonderfully and are connected to a decent app store.

In the 499+ range we have things like the Ipad no I am not a huge fan of the IPad and I most likely never own one. The reason I go with IPad over Microsoft is the IPads been proven to be stable.

I think people some times forget to look ahead. What happens in a year if the "Microsoft tablet" you payed 500+ dollars for is not a hit. What happens if the app store in Metro.... Opps sorry "windows 8" does not take off?

What happens if company decide its not cost effective to design software for it. Keep in mind this is not Android or Apple based.

Microsoft late to the party when it comes to Tablets so we will have to see how everything works out for them. The designers, programers, etc are not just going to drop everything to start working on Windows tablet. Special not when they already have 2 profitable platforms to design for.

G

once the eco system is in full swing, and the largest body of developers on earth are building apps for this platform 300 bucks will make peoples heads spin. I'm in at all price points. My samsung slate runs 8 like a champ. I can't imagine owning a device that can't be both pixel pointed and fat fingered.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]HotRoderx[/nom]Call me crazy but if its anything over 300-400 dollars I think I will pass.... in the 250-300 range we have things like the Nexus 7 and Galaxy Tab 2. They both work wonderfully and are connected to a decent app store. In the 499+ range we have things like the Ipad no I am not a huge fan of the IPad and I most likely never own one. The reason I go with IPad over Microsoft is the IPads been proven to be stable. I think people some times forget to look ahead. What happens in a year if the "Microsoft tablet" you payed 500+ dollars for is not a hit. What happens if the app store in Metro.... Opps sorry "windows 8" does not take off? What happens if company decide its not cost effective to design software for it. Keep in mind this is not Android or Apple based. Microsoft late to the party when it comes to Tablets so we will have to see how everything works out for them. The designers, programers, etc are not just going to drop everything to start working on Windows tablet. Special not when they already have 2 profitable platforms to design for.[/citation]

Because the one you paid $500+ for is x86 and does all of things your computer does?

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Can't imagine them selling well if they are above 400, getting perilously close to the iPad with its proven track record and huge software base. Best they can probably hope for is medium to top Android pricing as RT doesn't really offer much more and is going to need some pushing early on with the lack of apps. If enough apps don't appear it could get kind of ugly. I mean, the touchpad and the playbook were actually quite nice machines.

[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]What does RT stand for?[/citation]

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-04-17/news/31350495_1_windows-xp-windows-nt-microsoft

It stands for Runtime.

It refers to WinRT, the Windows Runtime Library.

It's actually quite a tricky and important bit of technology, because it allows developers to write one app that runs on both Windows 8 (which uses Intel-type processors) and Windows RT (which uses ARM). Without it, developers would have to do extra work to get their apps to run on each platform.

Read more: http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-04-17/news/31350495_1_windows-xp-windows-nt-microsoft#ixzz246shJNBi

That is also good news. Programs written for one version of windows should work for the other as well.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
[citation][nom]cscott_it[/nom]Because the one you paid $500+ for is x86 and does all of things your computer does?[/citation]

even if its x86 based unless its packing a laptop processor then its not going to be able to do a lot of the things a pc or laptop can. Basically with what your saying you would need whats basically a laptop with a touch screen. Call me nuts but that's going to be on the bulky side and weight a at least a 1lb or 2 unless its one of these "ultra book things I here about" then its going to cost your arm and both legs. This is assuming it will be able to run most apps a pc runs along with having more then 2-3hrs battery life. The more I think about this the more it sounds like a fail idea in the making.

Part of what makes the Ipad and Android based tablets so popular is size. I have a buddy that works IT that is connected at the hip with his tablet. He literally uses it for everything. He does video calls on it when working on projects. He uses it for trouble shooting different issues. He uses it for keeping track of inventory so he can working on something and know in moments if he needs to order parts. Then he can order parts right from the device. The fact the device weights under a lb and is ultra portable makes it light years more suited for his needs then a laptop.

The other thing is the app store take apples or Androids app store away and both devices would fail. I really hope Windows has some serious backing when it comes to apps.

As far as running Android apps on the pc only thing I found to do that is blue-stack. The android applications have to be emulated. That basically means any type of android app we have no will have to be re designed to work with windows based computer.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]HotRoderx[/nom]even if its x86 based unless its packing a laptop processor then its not going to be able to do a lot of the things a pc or laptop can. Basically with what your saying you would need whats basically a laptop with a touch screen. Call me nuts but that's going to be on the bulky side and weight a at least a 1lb or 2 unless its one of these "ultra book things I here about" then its going to cost your arm and both legs. This is assuming it will be able to run most apps a pc runs along with having more then 2-3hrs battery life. The more I think about this the more it sounds like a fail idea in the making. Part of what makes the Ipad and Android based tablets so popular is size. I have a buddy that works IT that is connected at the hip with his tablet. He literally uses it for everything. He does video calls on it when working on projects. He uses it for trouble shooting different issues. He uses it for keeping track of inventory so he can working on something and know in moments if he needs to order parts. Then he can order parts right from the device. The fact the device weights under a lb and is ultra portable makes it light years more suited for his needs then a laptop. The other thing is the app store take apples or Androids app store away and both devices would fail. I really hope Windows has some serious backing when it comes to apps. As far as running Android apps on the pc only thing I found to do that is blue-stack. The android applications have to be emulated. That basically means any type of android app we have no will have to be re designed to work with windows based computer.[/citation]

If it's x86 then it will be packing a laptop processor (x86 is done by Intel and AMD - with a few exceptions like VAIO) , which the specs are for (I believe) an i5 or an i5 ulv (ultra-low voltage). Regardless, their plan is to compete with ultrabooks as far as specs and performance.

As far as apps go, it's up to developers, but I'm hopeful they continue to make things easy to port. Like between the 360 and PC.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
AMD or bust. Don't want a weak graphically underpowered tablet. Nothing worse then hearing how someone bought a top of the line Intel Laptop with "Intel Integrated Graphics Solution", and they can't play any games.

I believe the Surface Pro is supposed to use an i5, so that is a typical laptop processor. Though they may also make a few with Atom's (like the new Medfield designs), which are more like netbooks, though the new Atom's are much better than what you remember.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]AMD or bust. Don't want a weak graphically underpowered tablet. Nothing worse then hearing how someone bought a top of the line Intel Laptop with "Intel Integrated Graphics Solution", and they can't play any games.[/citation]

You're assuming most people play games (that can't be played on integrated graphics). The most played games are Zynga games on Facebook, Angry Birds and stuff like that.

faizyab

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
i must say it was good you can also read this http://sevencolourgossips.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/windows-rt-tablets-by-microsoft-a-real-market-breaker/

Status
Not open for further replies.