nitto1320i

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2005
Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core (Manchester, 90nm, L2 Cache 2 x 512KB)
Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ (E4 version)
Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4200+ (E4 version)
Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4600+ (E4 version)
Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core (Manchester, 90nm, L2 Cache 2 x 512KB)
Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ (E6 version)
Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4200+ (E6 version)
Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4600+ (E6 version)
Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core (Toledo, 90nm, L2 Cache 2 x 1MB)
Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4400+ (E6 version)
Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4800+ (E6 version)

im confuse.. im not getting anytime soon but just incase. which one should i get? whats the difference from e4 and e6 revisions?

RichPLS

Champion
The E6 versions are current chips.
Then the 512cache models overclock a bit better than the 1megs do, but the cache helps processor work more of the time making it the prefered choice if you need it, at a cost.

It depends on what you need or want actually, and in some cases, what you can get.

sturm

Splendid
the e6 versions have very small, mostly unnoticeable changes/corrections in the core. Its like software versions, the highest number is the most current, upto date, less bugs, more refined, etc.

RichPLS

Champion
if I am not mistaken, once they switch core versions, older versions are not produced any longer, so if you buy new, and get an old core, you got old stock or a used chip, like a return.
So it benifits you to know the production versions.

nitto1320i

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2005
well, i usually use my pc for editing sound/video, photoshop, sql webserver (whenever my pc at work needs to work on something else), encoding,php programming, cloning tons of HD for my cafe and work, testing appz/games before i put it on my cafe, and ofcourse my favorite (play games like doom3 and F.E.A.R) :D i have read somewhere on this forum that a single core proc. can run games better than a dual core but a dual core can do multi session which in the other hand i also need badly. :? i need some advice/recommendation on which x2 will i get since on a single core i cant do much of my work. but still wanna play game the way it should. :cry:

RichPLS

Champion
A dual core compared with single core at identical clock speed, not the AMD + rating, will game the same, with an edge to the dual core, since it can offload some os and other tasks, devoting one core mostly to the game performance. Also, ATI has new 5.13 driver that gives your graphics a 5 percent boost with multi-threaded drivers. Not to mention, games are noticing dual core, and will be writing code more and more to take advantage of it...

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
IMHO 200mhz makes more of a difference than 512 more on the cache...the cache really wont make that much of a difference to the average user, you have to be doing some intense stuff to really see any difference with a different cache...its not worth the extra money. Dual core is nice and will always benefit because you can run whatever you want in the background while gaming...and like they said, newer drivers are coming out to utilize the dual cores more...but unless things are multi-threaded its a moot point anyway