Warning: you can broke your ST3200822AS if you use GA-K8NF-9

ediaz

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Hi to all:
This is the problem..

Please don't make this you can broke your disk and may be replacement.

one motherboard GA-K8NF-9

Put your disk in SATA3 (see in your board)

ST3200822AS your disk only show 136Gb.

you NEVER can change the size you must send a replace for segeate.

how can happend this??.

bad bad bad for seagate.

Take other disk, (same model) put in other SATA, no problem.

regards!

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Did you try the same drive in another motherboard and it worked fine?

This sounds like a 48-bit addressing problem. Which is strange as the motherboard you listed seems fairly recent. Check for bios updates and and other references to "48-bit" addressing.

137gb is the size limit for the previous addressing scheme (cant remember what its called right now).

ediaz

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Yes, but the motherboard it is very new, and I try in other systems and the disk only show 136MB, I upgrade my bios to last version but the disk never will recover.

regards!

I try with linux too, and happends the same.

regards!

linux_0

Splendid
That's right the BIOS needs to use 48bit LBA addressing and windows XP MUST have at LEAST SP1 or SP2 and 2000 needs to have at LEAST SP3 to see disks larger than 137GB.

Update your BIOS if necessary.

Linux does not have this problem :-D

happy holidayz y'all

TC10284

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2001
lol linux_0 you like pimping out Linux don't ya? =P
I've known that it didn't have that addressing problem.
What distro's do you use? Fedora, Ubuntu, Suse, OpenSuse, Mandrake, etc?

linux_0

Splendid
Fedora, RedHat, Knoppix, etc.

I've also used Slackware, Debian and many obscure distributions no one has even heard of ;-)

Let me also put in a good word for *BSD in here too! *BSD is kewl!

Call me old fashioned but I also automatically respect any system that is a Unix system or Unix clone except M$ Unix and SCO Unix :-D

Do you Linux?, BSD?, Unix?

TC10284

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2001
I've used Fedora Core mostly. I've installed Debian and Ubuntu. I really wish I could get into Linux distro's a LOT more because it's a really good thing to learn and I realize Linux is VERY powerful and versatile. I know you can setup a Domain Controller and a DNS server (NAMED and BIND) among MANY other things like those daemons. I've acomplished the DNS server with webmin but I haven't tried the LDAP server to create a DC for Windows clients yet. I lack in time because of college =/

I've used Coyote Linux, BrazilFW, and IPCop which are all linux routers as well as the live CD, Knoppix (oh and the DVD image of it hehe).

These are in my linux ISO image download folder:
Debian, Fedora, FreeBSD, Gentoo, Kanotix, Knoppix, Mandrake, MINIX, OpenSUSE, Phlak, Redhat 7.3 and 9.0, Slackware, SLAX, SUSE, Ubuntu, Xandros. But like I said, I wish I had more time to mess with more distro's. =/
Windows is really hard to get away from but I would love to be Windows indepenent (or the capability thereof hehe). I don't want to start a flame but the activation, WGA, and licensing is really annoying me mostly because it's a hassle. I understand the reasons, but yea...

ediaz

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
In one of this system don't have O.S, because are installing.

I check in webpage of Gigabyte the BIOS have 48Bit. And I get other disk same and put in correct SATA and the bios show 200G.

No, Linux don't have any problem (for me are the best) I want to test that the problem is not for software.

In my case I test with a live CD. R.I.P.

Regards!