Sign in with
Your question

My System Overheating

Last response: in Systems
December 20, 2005 9:04:08 PM

I believe my system is overheating, when I begin to use Intensive Programs such as games and what-not.

Right now I've got an assortment of cooling items in the case including a slot cooler next to my videocard, a large 5 1/4" cooler positioned around my Memory & Motherboard, and a large fan right about the CPU exhaust.

Now what's strange is my CPU (P4 LGA 775 Prescott 3.2ghz) is running around 37 C, when idling. When I start games it starts out fine, but once with a short-time period less then a minute generally the CPU shuts off, or I believe it is since the system remains on, but monitor output and the like dies.

I believe it's because the CPU is overheating. When I transferred the CPU & Heatsink to my new system I had some issues getting the Heatsink Gel off (It got on the underside of the dye to say the least :? ), and when all was said and done there was much more left over gel residue on the top then I had hoped for. I slapped a healthy amount of artic cooler on top, and haven't looked back (that was last week). However with such a high idling temp of around 37 C, and the heat related rebootes (or so I think).

I'm wondering if such a small amount of heatsink residue could be causing this? I can always take off what's left right now, just don't want to mess around with the CPU more then needed.

More about : system overheating

a b à CPUs
December 20, 2005 11:35:44 PM

You should NOT reinstall a HSF before you have completely removed the previous thermal paste. You should use 90% or better rubbing alcohol. If you don't thne you won't get good contact/thermal conductivity between the CPU/HSF. That being said - 38C isn't a bad idle temp for a presHot...

What type of PSU are you using - model/mfr? Amps on 12V, 3.3V and 5V rails? Have you disabled auto reboot on error in Windows? If not, then do that and google the error you get after the system locks up.
December 21, 2005 3:28:50 AM

What are all your system specs? What kind of case to? It may be your PSU, or maybe you don't have airflow. How are your fans setup, what fans are pushing and pulling and where are they? You don't want to put on a lot of Thermal Grease, and make sure you cleaned your old Thermal Grease off really good before you put the new stuff on. This is how you should apply it:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions....

Hope this helps.
Related resources
December 24, 2005 7:26:36 PM

Hmm, I'm not "entirely" sure it's a Heatpaste issue just yet since computer Auto-reboots when I try the intensive games/3dsmax.

I turned off auto-reboot, but it still seems to do it even when turned off. What's the best method for viewing the windows error log IE: minidump?
December 25, 2005 8:38:05 AM

Try using a spyware programme. Had the same thing to mine and when the data miner was removed all was ok. Just a suggestion.
a b à CPUs
December 25, 2005 11:35:45 AM

You need to give more info. What are your system specs, including mfr/model of PSU. Tell us what you have done to try and correct the issue and the results.
December 25, 2005 3:28:05 PM

Okay,

System is in an Aspire Microatx case, (One on the frontpage of THG),

I've got it down to the bare parts right now, until I get this resolved.

1GB of DDR 2 Ram
P5LD2-VM Microatx ASUS board
3.2ghz LGA 775 Prescott
Single 250GB HD

Standard case cooling parts, plus slot cooler next to videocard and additional cooler in front pooling air off the mobo & CPU.

After getting the cooling situation a bit better, I found the system showed up as cooler in my ASUS readings (40 C or less idling), but still reboots whenever I try intensive applications, namely games.
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2005 11:44:14 AM

What ever you did increased your idle temps unless your 37C idle temps in your first post were innacurate. :confused:

Open the side of the case, point a common house fan into the case and then try running the "intensive application." If it doesn't reboot, then it's probably a heat issue.

Have you updated all of your drivers?

Dr Watson does loggin in Windows. Use windows help to track it down.
December 28, 2005 10:42:41 PM

Correction Rugger I mean originally my Temps were around:

40C Idle & 55C with Installation/Semi-Intensive Applications, Crash with Intensive Applications.

After adding some more cooling components I hit,
37C Idle & 45-50C with Installation/Semi-Intensive Applications, Still Crashing with "Some" Intensive Applications. Strangely enough 3dsmax is working and it's quite an intensive application.

I removed the thermal paste & reapplied about an hour ago, just to see if that would help. It did provide marginal improvements.

36C Idle & 48C with Installation/Semi-Intensive Applications. I'm going to try running a game or something now and if I get a reboot I'll try the fan.
December 29, 2005 5:46:49 PM

Awesome :) 

I tried using the fan which dropped the Idle even lower to 34C, but was really effective when running applications. I played some fairly intense games & used some intense applications perfectly fine which leads me to believe my problem was definitely overheating.

Even better I just removed the fan, and I can still use those applications without things running nearly as hot as before. It leads me to believe that the heat dissipation is more considerable the hotter it gets, so that while my idling temprature isn't much better, that it doesnt increase nearly as much while running CPU intensive applications.
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2005 6:01:16 PM

Quote:
It leads me to believe that the heat dissipation is more considerable the hotter it gets, so that while my idling temprature isn't much better, that it doesnt increase nearly as much while running CPU intensive applications.

I don't really get what you're trying to say here. :?:

You should run the same benchmarks or stress tests each time so your results are consistent. It sounds like you've got a lot of things stuffed into that microatx case. What have you done for cable management? You have a lot of fans, but if the air can't flow, then you won't properly cool the system.
January 4, 2006 7:19:40 PM

It's a fairly spacious case (the Aspire one) and almost everything is really well positioned to allow solid heat dissipation.

Earlier today I got some professional help with the CPU & Thermal Gel from TigerDirect and they did a great job removing & reapplying, but yet again I'm still getting automatic reboots whenever I'm running intensive programs.

I disabled Windows Auto-reboot, but it still does it.

Now I'm not sure what the heck is causing the automatic reboots,since when I run a fan on the system it generally keeps it running well.
!