Inkjet for my wife??

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
October 18, 2004 10:52:48 PM

My wife uses one of my old PCs mainly for emails to her family and
friends. Right now she has a very old Epson dot matrix printer
connected to this PC and she wants a new color inkjet (hey, don’t ask).
Because she doesn’t do much printing (maybe two or three times a
month) I’m concerned that the ink in the printheads will dry-up and
clog. Which lesser expensive brand of inkjet, Canon, Epson or HP, would
fit her needs.

TIA, Jerry

PS. I’ve heard the Epson’s clog-up when not used regularly, however,
you get a new head with each HP cartridge. Don’t know a thing about the
Canons. All the reviews seem to be geared towards photo inkjets which
she doesn’t need. BTW, she does not want to share my HP LaserJet. "I
want my own color printer"!!!

More about : inkjet wife

Anonymous
a b α HP
October 19, 2004 1:48:14 AM

"jerry" <jerry@any.net> wrote in message news:cl1ogj02rtm@enews1.newsguy.com...
> My wife uses one of my old PCs mainly for emails to her family and friends.
> Right now she has a very old Epson dot matrix printer connected to this PC
> and she wants a new color inkjet (hey, don’t ask). Because she doesn’t do
> much printing (maybe two or three times a month) I’m concerned that the ink
> in the printheads will dry-up and clog. Which lesser expensive brand of
> inkjet, Canon, Epson or HP, would fit her needs.

How old is her PC? Most low cost printers these days have only a USB
connection, which generally requires Win 98 or later. If she has USB and Win
98 or later the DeskJet 3745 is a basic unit with excellent print quality for
$49. See
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236...
for details.

The DeskJet 5650 is a bit of a step up in speed and quality, and includes
parallel and USB connectivity. It is currently $89, spec's are at:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236...

Another possibility would be a printer/scanner/copier. The low end PSC 1310A
at $99 provides standalone color or B&W copies and scanning in addition to
printing and includes photo card slots. See:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-238...
The PSC 1210 may still be available in some outlets for ~ $79. It is similar
to the PSC 1310 but does not include the 1310's card slots to print directly
from digital cameras.

Regards,
a b α HP
October 19, 2004 12:21:24 PM

"jerry" <jerry@any.net> wrote in message news:cl1ogj02rtm@enews1.newsguy.com...
> My wife uses one of my old PCs mainly for emails to her family and
> friends. Right now she has a very old Epson dot matrix printer
> connected to this PC and she wants a new color inkjet (hey, don’t ask).
> Because she doesn’t do much printing (maybe two or three times a
> month) I’m concerned that the ink in the printheads will dry-up and
> clog. Which lesser expensive brand of inkjet, Canon, Epson or HP, would
> fit her needs.
>
> TIA, Jerry
>
> PS. I’ve heard the Epson’s clog-up when not used regularly, however,
> you get a new head with each HP cartridge. Don’t know a thing about the
> Canons. All the reviews seem to be geared towards photo inkjets which
> she doesn’t need. BTW, she does not want to share my HP LaserJet. "I
> want my own color printer"!!!

"You_can't_always_get_what_you_want" - Rolling Stones

Hmmm, her *own* printer? Well then, have her use her *own*
money from here on out.

mark_
Related resources
October 19, 2004 12:39:59 PM

Bob Headrick wrote:
> "jerry" <jerry@any.net> wrote in message news:cl1ogj02rtm@enews1.newsguy.com...
>
>>My wife uses one of my old PCs mainly for emails to her family and friends.
>>Right now she has a very old Epson dot matrix printer connected to this PC
>>and she wants a new color inkjet (hey, don’t ask). Because she doesn’t do
>>much printing (maybe two or three times a month) I’m concerned that the ink
>>in the printheads will dry-up and clog. Which lesser expensive brand of
>>inkjet, Canon, Epson or HP, would fit her needs.
>

> How old is her PC? Most low cost printers these days have only a USB
> connection, which generally requires Win 98 or later. If she has USB and Win
> 98 or later the DeskJet 3745 is a basic unit with excellent print quality for
> $49. See
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236...
> for details.
>
> The DeskJet 5650 is a bit of a step up in speed and quality, and includes
> parallel and USB connectivity. It is currently $89, spec's are at:
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236...
>
> Another possibility would be a printer/scanner/copier. The low end PSC 1310A
> at $99 provides standalone color or B&W copies and scanning in addition to
> printing and includes photo card slots. See:
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-238...
> The PSC 1210 may still be available in some outlets for ~ $79. It is similar
> to the PSC 1310 but does not include the 1310's card slots to print directly
> from digital cameras.
>
> Regards,

Bob, thanks for your reply.

Jerry
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 19, 2004 12:42:59 PM

For the OP why not consider the Canon i560. It is a very inexpensive printer
and has both USB and parallel port connections. So even if her system does
not have a free USB or no USB ports, it will work just fine.

Regards,
John O.

"Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

> "jerry" <jerry@any.net> wrote in message
>> My wife uses one of my old PCs mainly for emails to her family and
>> friends. Right now she has a very old Epson dot matrix printer connected
>> to this PC and she wants a new color inkjet (hey, don't ask). Because she
>> doesn't do much printing (maybe two or three times a month) I'm concerned
>> that the ink in the printheads will dry-up and clog. Which lesser
>> expensive brand of inkjet, Canon, Epson or HP, would fit her needs.
>
> How old is her PC? Most low cost printers these days have only a USB
> connection, which generally requires Win 98 or later. If she has USB and
> Win 98 or later the DeskJet 3745 is a basic unit with excellent print
> quality for $49. See
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236...
> for details.
>
> The DeskJet 5650 is a bit of a step up in speed and quality, and includes
> parallel and USB connectivity. It is currently $89, spec's are at:
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236...
>
> Another possibility would be a printer/scanner/copier. The low end PSC
> 1310A at $99 provides standalone color or B&W copies and scanning in
> addition to printing and includes photo card slots. See:
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-238...
> The PSC 1210 may still be available in some outlets for ~ $79. It is
> similar to the PSC 1310 but does not include the 1310's card slots to
> print directly from digital cameras.
>
> Regards,

October 19, 2004 12:57:07 PM

John, thanks for your reply. I like the i560, but I'm concerned about
the heads clogging. Do you think that would be a problem?

Jerry

JJO wrote:
> For the OP why not consider the Canon i560. It is a very inexpensive printer
> and has both USB and parallel port connections. So even if her system does
> not have a free USB or no USB ports, it will work just fine.
>
> Regards,
> John O.
>
> "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message
>
>>"jerry" <jerry@any.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>My wife uses one of my old PCs mainly for emails to her family and
>>>friends. Right now she has a very old Epson dot matrix printer connected
>>>to this PC and she wants a new color inkjet (hey, don't ask). Because she
>>>doesn't do much printing (maybe two or three times a month) I'm concerned
>>>that the ink in the printheads will dry-up and clog. Which lesser
>>>expensive brand of inkjet, Canon, Epson or HP, would fit her needs.
>>
>>How old is her PC? Most low cost printers these days have only a USB
>>connection, which generally requires Win 98 or later. If she has USB and
>>Win 98 or later the DeskJet 3745 is a basic unit with excellent print
>>quality for $49. See
>>http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236...
>>for details.
>>
>>The DeskJet 5650 is a bit of a step up in speed and quality, and includes
>>parallel and USB connectivity. It is currently $89, spec's are at:
>>http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236...
>>
>>Another possibility would be a printer/scanner/copier. The low end PSC
>>1310A at $99 provides standalone color or B&W copies and scanning in
>>addition to printing and includes photo card slots. See:
>>http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-238...
>>The PSC 1210 may still be available in some outlets for ~ $79. It is
>>similar to the PSC 1310 but does not include the 1310's card slots to
>>print directly from digital cameras.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

Anonymous
a b α HP
October 19, 2004 4:41:01 PM

FWIW, my Canon S600 sat in storage for 4 months without being used.
Connected it up and it worked just as well as it did the day it was laid up.
No clogging or color problems.

An inexpensive Canon color printer should solve your wife's problems.

Michael Bird

"jerry" <jerry@any.net> wrote in message
> My wife uses one of my old PCs mainly for emails to her family and
> friends. Right now she has a very old Epson dot matrix printer
> connected to this PC and she wants a new color inkjet (hey, don’t ask).
> Because she doesn’t do much printing (maybe two or three times a
> month) I’m concerned that the ink in the printheads will dry-up and
> clog. Which lesser expensive brand of inkjet, Canon, Epson or HP, would
> fit her needs.
>
> TIA, Jerry
>
> PS. I’ve heard the Epson’s clog-up when not used regularly, however,
> you get a new head with each HP cartridge. Don’t know a thing about the
> Canons. All the reviews seem to be geared towards photo inkjets which
> she doesn’t need. BTW, she does not want to share my HP LaserJet. "I
> want my own color printer"!!!
October 19, 2004 4:41:02 PM

Michael, thanks for your reply. Good to hear that about your Canon. My
brother had an Epson and it started spiting ink all over the inside of
the case. Something clog-up? Anyway it made him so mad he toss it in
the trash and bought an HP. He said he never did like the damn thing
anyway. I'm thinking Canon because the ink cartridges seem to be cheaper.

Jerry

Michael Bird wrote:
> FWIW, my Canon S600 sat in storage for 4 months without being used.
> Connected it up and it worked just as well as it did the day it was laid up.
> No clogging or color problems.
>
> An inexpensive Canon color printer should solve your wife's problems.
>
> Michael Bird
>

> "jerry" <jerry@any.net> wrote in message
>
>>My wife uses one of my old PCs mainly for emails to her family and
>>friends. Right now she has a very old Epson dot matrix printer
>>connected to this PC and she wants a new color inkjet (hey, don’t ask).
>> Because she doesn’t do much printing (maybe two or three times a
>>month) I’m concerned that the ink in the printheads will dry-up and
>>clog. Which lesser expensive brand of inkjet, Canon, Epson or HP, would
>>fit her needs.
>>
>>TIA, Jerry
>>
>>PS. I’ve heard the Epson’s clog-up when not used regularly, however,
>>you get a new head with each HP cartridge. Don’t know a thing about the
>>Canons. All the reviews seem to be geared towards photo inkjets which
>>she doesn’t need. BTW, she does not want to share my HP LaserJet. "I
>>want my own color printer"!!!

October 19, 2004 6:30:32 PM

Get a new inkjet printer for your wife, it would be a great trade..........

"jerry" <jerry@any.net> wrote in message
> My wife uses one of my old PCs mainly for emails to her family and
> friends. Right now she has a very old Epson dot matrix printer
> connected to this PC and she wants a new color inkjet (hey, don’t ask).
> Because she doesn’t do much printing (maybe two or three times a
> month) I’m concerned that the ink in the printheads will dry-up and
> clog. Which lesser expensive brand of inkjet, Canon, Epson or HP, would
> fit her needs.
>
> TIA, Jerry
>
> PS. I’ve heard the Epson’s clog-up when not used regularly, however,
> you get a new head with each HP cartridge. Don’t know a thing about the
> Canons. All the reviews seem to be geared towards photo inkjets which
> she doesn’t need. BTW, she does not want to share my HP LaserJet. "I
> want my own color printer"!!!
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 20, 2004 2:15:49 AM

Gee for that much use I'd look on ebay for an old Canon BJC-265SP or
something.
Mine sits there for months on end & I've never had problems next time I need
it. When it "parks" while turned off, it seals off on a little rubber pad.
Most do that.
The 265 has it's own head on each cartridge & you need to swap cartridges
between black or colour which makes it really cheap if you do mostly black
printing. They are also one of the easiest to refill.
BruceM

"mark_digital©" <XXX-RIR@comcast.net> wrote in message

"jerry" <jerry@any.net> wrote in message
> My wife uses one of my old PCs mainly for emails to her family and
> friends. Right now she has a very old Epson dot matrix printer
> connected to this PC and she wants a new color inkjet (hey, don’t ask).
> Because she doesn’t do much printing (maybe two or three times a
> month) I’m concerned that the ink in the printheads will dry-up and
> clog. Which lesser expensive brand of inkjet, Canon, Epson or HP, would
> fit her needs.
>
> TIA, Jerry
>
> PS. I’ve heard the Epson’s clog-up when not used regularly, however,
> you get a new head with each HP cartridge. Don’t know a thing about the
> Canons. All the reviews seem to be geared towards photo inkjets which
> she doesn’t need. BTW, she does not want to share my HP LaserJet. "I
> want my own color printer"!!!

"You_can't_always_get_what_you_want" - Rolling Stones

Hmmm, her *own* printer? Well then, have her use her *own*
money from here on out.

mark_
October 20, 2004 2:15:50 AM

Bruce, thanks for your reply. I've been looking at the Canon printers,
(also the HPs) but like I said I'm concerned about the heads clogging.
BTW, I don't plan on refilling the cartridges.

Jerry

BruceM wrote:
> Gee for that much use I'd look on ebay for an old Canon BJC-265SP or
> something.
> Mine sits there for months on end & I've never had problems next time I need
> it. When it "parks" while turned off, it seals off on a little rubber pad.
> Most do that.
> The 265 has it's own head on each cartridge & you need to swap cartridges
> between black or colour which makes it really cheap if you do mostly black
> printing. They are also one of the easiest to refill.
> BruceM
>

> "mark_digital©" <XXX-RIR@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
> "jerry" <jerry@any.net> wrote in message
>
>>My wife uses one of my old PCs mainly for emails to her family and
>>friends. Right now she has a very old Epson dot matrix printer
>>connected to this PC and she wants a new color inkjet (hey, don’t ask).
>> Because she doesn’t do much printing (maybe two or three times a
>>month) I’m concerned that the ink in the printheads will dry-up and
>>clog. Which lesser expensive brand of inkjet, Canon, Epson or HP, would
>>fit her needs.
>>
>>TIA, Jerry
>>
>>PS. I’ve heard the Epson’s clog-up when not used regularly, however,
>>you get a new head with each HP cartridge. Don’t know a thing about the
>>Canons. All the reviews seem to be geared towards photo inkjets which
>>she doesn’t need. BTW, she does not want to share my HP LaserJet. "I
>>want my own color printer"!!!
>

> "You_can't_always_get_what_you_want" - Rolling Stones
>
> Hmmm, her *own* printer? Well then, have her use her *own*
> money from here on out.
>
> mark_

Anonymous
a b α HP
October 20, 2004 2:15:51 AM

I agree with jjo, a Canon i560 would be perfect. Even a couple of the latest
Canon "iP" series offer parallel should that be an issue.
Another plus for Canon in your situation is that the printhead is covered
under the warrantee, so even if it does clog (which it shouldn't) it would
be replaced for free.

> Bruce, thanks for your reply. I've been looking at the Canon printers,
> (also the HPs) but like I said I'm concerned about the heads clogging.
> BTW, I don't plan on refilling the cartridges.
>
> Jerry
>

> BruceM wrote:
>> Gee for that much use I'd look on ebay for an old Canon BJC-265SP or
>> something.
>> Mine sits there for months on end & I've never had problems next time I
>> need
>> it. When it "parks" while turned off, it seals off on a little rubber
>> pad.
>> Most do that.
>> The 265 has it's own head on each cartridge & you need to swap cartridges
>> between black or colour which makes it really cheap if you do mostly
>> black
>> printing. They are also one of the easiest to refill.
>> BruceM
>>

>> "mark_digital©" <XXX-RIR@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "jerry" <jerry@any.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>My wife uses one of my old PCs mainly for emails to her family and
>>>friends. Right now she has a very old Epson dot matrix printer
>>>connected to this PC and she wants a new color inkjet (hey, don’t ask).
>>> Because she doesn’t do much printing (maybe two or three times a
>>>month) I’m concerned that the ink in the printheads will dry-up and
>>>clog. Which lesser expensive brand of inkjet, Canon, Epson or HP, would
>>>fit her needs.
>>>
>>>TIA, Jerry
>>>
>>>PS. I’ve heard the Epson’s clog-up when not used regularly, however,
>>>you get a new head with each HP cartridge. Don’t know a thing about the
>>>Canons. All the reviews seem to be geared towards photo inkjets which
>>>she doesn’t need. BTW, she does not want to share my HP LaserJet. "I
>>>want my own color printer"!!!
>>

>> "You_can't_always_get_what_you_want" - Rolling Stones
>>
>> Hmmm, her *own* printer? Well then, have her use her *own*
>> money from here on out.
>>
>> mark_

Anonymous
a b α HP
October 20, 2004 3:13:01 AM

I have had a couple or 3 Canons of late and have never had heads clog. The
printhead is under warranty so that should ease your mind. The i560 is fast,
very quiet and gives excellent results.

Regards,
John O.

> John, thanks for your reply. I like the i560, but I'm concerned about the
> heads clogging. Do you think that would be a problem?
>
> Jerry
>

> JJO wrote:
>> For the OP why not consider the Canon i560. It is a very inexpensive
>> printer and has both USB and parallel port connections. So even if her
>> system does not have a free USB or no USB ports, it will work just fine.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John O.
>>
>> "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"jerry" <jerry@any.net> wrote in message

>>>How old is her PC? Most low cost printers these days have only a USB
>>>connection, which generally requires Win 98 or later. If she has USB and
>>>Win 98 or later the DeskJet 3745 is a basic unit with excellent print
>>>quality for $49. See
>>>http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236...
>>>for details.
>>>
>>>The DeskJet 5650 is a bit of a step up in speed and quality, and includes
>>>parallel and USB connectivity. It is currently $89, spec's are at:
>>>http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236...
>>>
>>>Another possibility would be a printer/scanner/copier. The low end PSC
>>>1310A at $99 provides standalone color or B&W copies and scanning in
>>>addition to printing and includes photo card slots. See:
>>>http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-238...
>>>The PSC 1210 may still be available in some outlets for ~ $79. It is
>>>similar to the PSC 1310 but does not include the 1310's card slots to
>>>print directly from digital cameras.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

Anonymous
a b α HP
October 20, 2004 6:32:18 AM

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 08:57:07 -0600, jerry <jerry@any.net> wrote:

>John, thanks for your reply. I like the i560, but I'm concerned about
>the heads clogging. Do you think that would be a problem?

Problems:

Canon - Print heads burn out
Epson - Get clogging in the wrong atmosphere
HP - only write drivers for the latest Operating system for the latest
printers
Lexmark - die as soon as their warranty runs out

Hope that helps :)

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

What about BROTHER printers :)

:
: >John, thanks for your reply. I like the i560, but I'm concerned about
: >the heads clogging. Do you think that would be a problem?
: >
: Problems:
:
: Canon - Print heads burn out
: Epson - Get clogging in the wrong atmosphere
: HP - only write drivers for the latest Operating system for the latest
: printers
: Lexmark - die as soon as their warranty runs out
:
: Hope that helps :)
:
: --
:
: Hecate - The Real One
: Hecate@newsguy.com
: veni, vidi, reliqui
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 20, 2004 12:52:30 PM

I'll pay that one Mark!!!
Actually an old broken down one for my wife would be a good trade!!
(ducking now)
BruceM

"Mark" <marklb@bogus.net> wrote in message
> Get a new inkjet printer for your wife, it would be a great
trade..........

> "jerry" <jerry@any.net> wrote in message
> > My wife uses one of my old PCs mainly for emails to her family and
> > friends. Right now she has a very old Epson dot matrix printer
> > connected to this PC and she wants a new color inkjet (hey, don't ask).
> > Because she doesn't do much printing (maybe two or three times a
> > month) I'm concerned that the ink in the printheads will dry-up and
> > clog. Which lesser expensive brand of inkjet, Canon, Epson or HP, would
> > fit her needs.
> >
> > TIA, Jerry
> >
> > PS. I've heard the Epson's clog-up when not used regularly, however,
> > you get a new head with each HP cartridge. Don't know a thing about the
> > Canons. All the reviews seem to be geared towards photo inkjets which
> > she doesn't need. BTW, she does not want to share my HP LaserJet. "I
> > want my own color printer"!!!

October 20, 2004 2:13:52 PM

Hecate, thanks for your reply.

Jerry

Hecate wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 08:57:07 -0600, jerry <jerry@any.net> wrote:
>

>>John, thanks for your reply. I like the i560, but I'm concerned about
>>the heads clogging. Do you think that would be a problem?
>>

> Problems:
>
> Canon - Print heads burn out
> Epson - Get clogging in the wrong atmosphere
> HP - only write drivers for the latest Operating system for the latest
> printers
> Lexmark - die as soon as their warranty runs out
>
> Hope that helps :)
>
> --
>
> Hecate - The Real One
> Hecate@newsguy.com
> veni, vidi, reliqui
October 20, 2004 2:22:13 PM

John, thanks. I like the i560, but living in a small town I'll have to
use mail order and there are limited suppliers. I guess the i560 is MD
and replaced by the IP3000. Still looking.

Jerry

JJO wrote:
> I have had a couple or 3 Canons of late and have never had heads clog. The
> printhead is under warranty so that should ease your mind. The i560 is fast,
> very quiet and gives excellent results.
>
> Regards,
> John O.
>

> "jerry" <jerry@any.net> wrote in message
>
>>John, thanks for your reply. I like the i560, but I'm concerned about the
>>heads clogging. Do you think that would be a problem?
>>
>>Jerry
>>

>>JJO wrote:
>>
>>>For the OP why not consider the Canon i560. It is a very inexpensive
>>>printer and has both USB and parallel port connections. So even if her
>>>system does not have a free USB or no USB ports, it will work just fine.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>John O.
>>>
>>>"Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

October 29, 2004 8:56:29 AM

Unfortunately, they will all clog when left unused for a long period of
time. For some good info on printers, inks, and papers look at the
following website - http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html He
advises purchase of Canon printers (the I960 particularly) and shows one
source of aftermarket cheap cartridges - inkgrabber - that he claims do a
great job. I followed his advice for my photo printing, bought a canon
I960, and am refilling with MIS inks. I can't tell the difference between
MIS ink and OEM canon carts. Great print quality and color. Of interest to
you will be his treatise on keeping the print heads clear of clogs.

!