home page question

RB

I go to START, then up to the INTERNET icon at top left.

There, I right click on INTERNET PROPERTIES. This brings up the Internet
Properties Window.

Now go to the General Tab, and then to the Home Page area.

My pc has only the active home page of my choice in it. I can delete that
one and change to another as I choose.

A friend's pc I'm trying to clean up from a number of problems, has a button
which produces a drop down window, with a list of 10 web sites in it. And,
I can't delete any of them. I also can delete the active home page entry,
but one of the ones in the drop down window comes back. The pc I'm working
on runs Win XP Pro, if that makes a difference in this instance.

What's going on here, and why can't we enter and set the home page we want?

Type 'spyware' into an IE or Google search box.. find the websites for
Adaware and Spybot and CWShredder(easier than you think because they are
near the top of the search).. download the latest free versions of all
three.. install and run them.. then go to www.pchell.com and save the page
as a favourite.. check out all of the text on that page and see if any
applies.. if it does, follow instructions on how to remove offending
software..