NON SLI Socket 939 Motherboard Opinion

landlocked32371

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
I have evaluated my needs, and determined I do not need SLI.

75% use of this computer will be photoshop cs2
20% the latest games
5% typical business crap

1.Can I get some opinions on NON SLI socket 939 motherboards?

2.I have read that nVidia is the current chipset dujour...what are the notable differences between nForce 4, 4x, and 4ultra?

thank you!

The differences in the chipsets is features that are supported - just look at the different features and you can put together a list. The performance will be similar in all nF4 chipsets. Some recommendations: Epox 9NPA= Ultra and Abit AN8 Ultra.

mr_trotta

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2004
I ended up with the MSI KN8 Neo4 Platinum. This was last May though, so no doubt there are newer options. It has the Nvidial 4 Ultra chipset and the mobo has given me no problems. Bought it off of Newegg with the rest of the components.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
4x is a cut down nForce4 standard. The standard supports 5x hypertransport bus, the 4x doesn't. nVidia has a comparison table of chipset features on their site.

Epox has a nice, full featured nForce4 Ultra board, but I forgot the model number.

landlocked32371

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
Thanks for all the info.

From what I've seen and researched the Ultra appears the way im going to go. My digital cam only has firewire out...and it seems that most of the Ultras have FW support built in.