are cpu fans needed?

anesh16

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
is it necessary to have a cpu fan if u have the heatsink.i have a amd sempron 2200 and i have the heatsink but my fan is not working .i only found that out today? but over the past few months my pc has been freezing up constantlybut has worked normall when i put he house fan facing on it.is it because there is no fan in the heatsink? and what RPM would you recommend for a fan on a sempron 2200? thanks

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
is it necessary to have a cpu fan if u have the heatsink.i have a amd sempron 2200 and i have the heatsink but my fan is not working .i only found that out today? but over the past few months my pc has been freezing up constantlybut has worked normall when i put he house fan facing on it.is it because there is no fan in the heatsink? and what RPM would you recommend for a fan on a sempron 2200? thanks

I wouldn't even run it without the cpu fan on!

DRAGoNX

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
Yes, unless you got some huge ass heatsink with sh!t ton of airflow, you NEED a cpu fan.

(*reading OP's original post*)...

Ah, now wonder it's been freezing, it's overheating. Verysimple, get a new fan and you'll be all set.

anesh16

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
it seems to hve gone a couple of months and the pc worked normally just with some frequent times of freezing up. i only found out yesterday so i buying one today. but what i want to know is if it is possible the missing fan that causes the freezing up?

DRAGoNX

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
it seems to hve gone a couple of months and the pc worked normally just with some frequent times of freezing up. i only found out yesterday so i buying one today. but what i want to know is if it is possible the missing fan that causes the freezing up?

Yes because the fan is missing the processor heats up to "unberable" temps. Thus freezing up. just to let you know, you could have burned out your processor.

BlueMoonKid

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
You only need a CPU fan if the computer is turned on . . if you run the computer without a CPU fan or cooling then the computer will soon shut itself off permanently . . . once again no fan will be needed then. No fan / cooling = CPU failure.