OMG HELP! OCing just killed my HDD!!!

cat_empire

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Hey there i am back again except this time i need help urgently! I just got my new pc recently and as stated i OCed my CPU to 4400 level. Recently however i have been reading how i could overclock my cpu beyond this pooint easily and so i did. However after this i decided that i was happy the wway it was before and my system didnt need to extra unnecessary stress, also my computer was continually freezing on boot up (5 seconds into it). So i went back to the bios and loaded the optimized defaults taking it back to 3800 level. After that however on reboot my PC failed to detect my HDD and continues to do so. Can someone please help me i am seriously freaking out! This is a brand new computer and if my mum and dad find out i have already screwed it before i have even had it for a week they will KILL ME! We are under a bit of financial pressure at the moment and my dad is under heaps of stress from his job and this is extra stress they do not need.
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

specs:
AMD 64 3800 X2 (OCed to 4400 level)
eVGA 7800GT CO 256MB (OCed to GTX level)
1024MB DDR400 (PC 3200)
Maxtor 200GB HDD
Gigabyte K8N Triton Nforce 4 SLI mobo
550W power supply
LG x16 Dual layer DVD burner
x8 internal case fans

danskal

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2003
Overclocking your cpu is very unlikely to affect your hard drive. It is just about possible that you managed to fry your HDD controller, but even in that case your hard disk should be just fine with another motherboard.

But the most likely reason for your problems (especially if the hard disk is new), is simply that the hard disk is a dud, and was going to die even without the overclocking. So try it in a friend's pc or another pc if you can. That will tell you what the problem is.

/Michael

ps: if it is a bought complete system you should just call the store and tell them the error message you are getting.
pps: next time just skip the overclocking - you have a very nice, fast system. And if you can't afford to replace the parts, you shouldn't overclock them, because it will reduce their lifespan, even if it is a successful overclock.

Kougar

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2005
So basically you reset your BIOS... Just my guess, but you might need to reset the boot device order in your BIOS now assuming you have multiple devices. This has happened to me every time I end up reseting my BIOS to defaults, as the BIOS tries to boot off the wrong drive.

Does the hard drive show up at all in the BIOS, and does it still spin up/can you hear it reading when you boot? Did it work previously? If you've been doing anything inside the case itself in addition to your overclocking then I suggest checking all the cables involving the HDD are still securely attached where they need to be, HDD power, HDD to motherboard cable, etc etc. Hopefully one of those will be it...