Decent Spec but low 3d Mark 05 Score

AldorPK

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Hi,

I recently upgraded (well rebuilt) a new system, as I have done quite a few times, and ran some benchmark tests to see what performace I was getting.

Although this was a improvment on my last system I am dissappointed with the results especially when compared to system specs which are lower than mine and getting higher scores.

My Current System

AMD Ath 64 3800
XFX 7800GTX 256 Card
Asus A8nSLI Premium
2GB standard Kingston PC3200
Creative Audigy Card
Enermax Liberty 500w

Current Score on 3dMark 05 - 5300

I have done all the following:

Updated All Nividia Drivers
Turned of AA/AF
Uninstalled and Cool N Quiet and disabled in Bios
Updated AMD Driver
Disabled N Synch
Updated Windows

Full screen shots of CPU-s and 3D Mark are here - http://www.pandionknights.co.uk/3dMarkResultDetails.zip

Can anyone help me with my low performance problem as I know with the system I have it should be in at least the 7000's area.

Many thanks,

Balthozar

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
2 things:

1. After you upgraded, did you reinstall the OS?

2. Which Nvidia drivers are you using? (You might want to consider using the Omega drivers.

ishbog

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
1. he better have. and what OS are you using?

2. shouldnt be a driver problem.

but, those are incredibly low scores.
i get 7983 with:
athlon 64 3500 Venice
7800GT
1GB corsair Value RAM, 3200
400w psu
nice case, mouse, kb, lcd.

i get 7983 OC'd a tiny bit, and 6800 or so with stock speeds. something is wrong with your system.

-- re-format HD and re-install everything, it may help.

mnzk_x

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
hey man i have

XFX 7800GTX
MSI SLI
AMD 3500+
2 GEGA RAM KINGSTON

I GET 8000

YOU HAVE A FASTER PROSS THAN MEEE STRANGE TO GET THIS BAD SCORE DID YOU CONNCET THE CARD WITH THE POWER CABLE YOU MUST BE SURE IF SOO. MAYBE YOU CAN TRY THE CARD ON ANOTHER SYSTEM TOO BE SURE THAT YOUR CARD IS WORKING WELL,TELL ME YOUR SCORE IN 2003 AND AQUA MARK TO COMPARE WITH MINE.

Samariah

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Hmm, I just built a new system. I have a BFG 7800 gtx OC SLI system with 2 gigs of corsair ram, a8n32-sli motherboard, and an athlon x2 4400 processor. Know what my whopping 3dmark 05 score is? My score is about 6000 on a good day. While 3dmark 05 is running, it keeps getting choppy and laggy. Something is definitely wrong. I think it's the power supply. The power supply I'm using is a thermaltake 680 purepower, which is not listed on slizone's sli recommended power supply list. I'm going to go see if I can pick up a different one...antec or something, and we'll see if that solves the problem. I'll report back.

Grabbar

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
I think the drivers can have a large effect on your score. I just recently built a new computer: 148 Opteron, 2GB PC3200 Corsair, 7800 GT, 80GB WD 7200 rpm hard drive, Win XP home, DFI UT nF4-D mobo. After I installed everything and got it fired up, I was consistently scoring 6200 on 3DMark05. I was pretty pleased, but decided to download Coolbits2 to see what kind of overclocking I could do... I overclocked my videocard by roughly 10% and my score immediatly dropped by 7% to 5800. I scratched my head for a while, then decided to reinstal my display drivers to get rid of Coolbits2. With the exact same settings I had before, and with no overclocking, my score has jumped up to 7600 (22.5% increase). Like I said, all my settings were exactly the same (used 81.98 drivers from Nvidia both times)... I even tried lowering the image settings to "High quality" and my score was essentially the same.

/shrug I'll take it, don't mind :p

Jagger

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
If you have turned off AA and AF (or set to application controled), then try turning the refresh rate down to 60 Hz. I had a major drop in scores and then updated the drivers (which reset these settings). Now I am at 11653.

X2 4400+ (OC'ed to 2.42 GHz)
2 GB Kingston Ram
2 x eVga 7800GT CO
Abit KN8 SLi

Samariah

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Okay...I changed the power supply, and the problem is still there. This will be the second full day of troubleshooting, and I finally figured out what the problem is. The graphics card is overheating. I thought it might be a possibility that the card was throttling back even though it wasn't overheating (driver problem maybe), but that's not the case. This is a manufacturer's problem, and I imagine it's quite rare so I doubt it will be of much use to anybody else.

espeneppi

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I have a Point Of View 7800GT, and i just get a score of 5100 in 3dmark05, i have checked and done absolutely everything to try to fix this, but i cant get the score to go higher.

So maybe i have the same problem?

My specs is:
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
Athlon 64 3200+
OCZ 2gb ram
500W PSU

How did you find out that it was overheating?

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Hi,

I recently upgraded (well rebuilt) a new system, as I have done quite a few times, and ran some benchmark tests to see what performace I was getting.

Although this was a improvment on my last system I am dissappointed with the results especially when compared to system specs which are lower than mine and getting higher scores.

My Current System

AMD Ath 64 3800
XFX 7800GTX 256 Card
Asus A8nSLI Premium
2GB standard Kingston PC3200
Creative Audigy Card
Enermax Liberty 500w

Current Score on 3dMark 05 - 5300

I have done all the following:

Updated All Nividia Drivers
Turned of AA/AF
Uninstalled and Cool N Quiet and disabled in Bios
Updated AMD Driver
Disabled N Synch
Updated Windows

Full screen shots of CPU-s and 3D Mark are here - http://www.pandionknights.co.uk/3dMarkResultDetails.zip

Can anyone help me with my low performance problem as I know with the system I have it should be in at least the 7000's area.

Many thanks,

Either you need to do a fresh install of your OS.
Or you have your ram in the wrong config, check your manual for see placement for enabling dual channel

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Hmm, I just built a new system. I have a BFG 7800 gtx OC SLI system with 2 gigs of corsair ram, a8n32-sli motherboard, and an athlon x2 4400 processor. Know what my whopping 3dmark 05 score is? My score is about 6000 on a good day. While 3dmark 05 is running, it keeps getting choppy and laggy. Something is definitely wrong. I think it's the power supply. The power supply I'm using is a thermaltake 680 purepower, which is not listed on slizone's sli recommended power supply list. I'm going to go see if I can pick up a different one...antec or something, and we'll see if that solves the problem. I'll report back.

Same thing make sure you have the correct config for Dual channel.
Also make sure you have the video card in the recommend slot when using one card i believe it is the top one.
Nothing is wrong with your power supply or you would be having restart issues or no system post at all.

Samariah

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
I found out it was overheating by right clicking on the desktop, going to setting, advanced, 7800 gtx, and then going to temperature settings. I had to manually enable the "notify me when the gpu is overheating" check mark. When doing this I finally got a message that the gpu was throttling back. Luckyly I had not overclocked the card past factory settings yet, so it was still covered by warranty, and is on the way back from being repaired at bfg. Although I'm sure it was probably just a problem with the GPU contacting the heat sink...it could have been somethign more severe that I could not have repaired. Hope this helps... Thanks to the wonderful a8n32-sli I'm off to do an operating system reinstall, will be back in a few hours to a day depending on how many more problems I have.

Blistered

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
My new system setup is:
AMD 64 X2 4400+
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
2 x 1GB Corsair 3500ll RAM
2 x BFG 7800GTX 256
Zalman Fatal1ty cpu cooler
Creative X-Fi pro elite

This pc is literally just built and hasn't made it back to my house yet, but apparently it hit 10000 on 3d mark 05. Is this as good as i should be getting or should it be better?
I know there's a problem with the ram because the cpu cooler heatsink is too large and covers part of the ram slots meaning it's not dual channel?
Is this a major issue? I don't know enough about it.

**edit** I got my question answered in the Memory section of the forum! Thanks anyways :D

Samariah

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
oh, cool...out of curiousity, what did you find out? With dual channel it brings the score up a couple thousand right?