resolutions, 19", and refresh

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
there are more than one posts on this board about basically the same thing. and since i am trying to find answers it is to complicated to go back and forth through three different posts to find my answrs. so this post will make it simple.

i bought a 19" sony g420 monitor a week or so ago. i was having trouble seeing the text clearly at any resolution past 1024 at 85hz. but after reaidng all the posts and looking at how much i payed for this thing, i decided to run at 1280 and maybe i'd get used to it. so i also scaled the fonts to 125% and that makes things a lot easier for me to read. someone sugested i run at 100 refresh rate but when i go to this res win98 only lets me hoose as high as 85. so i chose optimal and the screen shrinked. can anyone confirm or deny that since the screen shrank that the refresh rate when up or down? so i am runnnig at optimal refresh rate(i have no idea how mcuh though) with scaling of 125%. oh yeah, i also have a geforce 2 gts video card, if that matters.

so in summation, what do you guys think?

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I haven't seen your particular model but...

The monitor itself will store settings for each resolution and refresh rate. When you changed the refresh rate the size of the display changed because the stored settings (probably manufacturer default) were different.

If you go into the monitor's menu, you will be able to tune horizontal/vertical position & size until you're happy with the display.

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
yeah, i see now, it's running at 100 refresh, thankyou.

i see a slight shadow next to the pointer when i move it across a white screen at 1280 100hz. is the refresh too high?

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
ok i changed the refresh to 85hz and i still see a bit of a shadow in the pointer. what the heck is worng, sony recomends this res and frequency, is it my geforce 2 gts video card or somehing else?

SDLeMire

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
If you're seeing a shadow then perhaps your contrast or brightness is too high. Also some of the Geforce 2GTS (including the Visiontek one I had) don't do that well at that high a resolution. Best thing is just to play around with different refresh rates, brightness, contrast, etc until it looks good.