Windows 7 OEM software with 'Family Pack' key?

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Hey guys,

I have installed the Windows 7 OEM version on one of my other computers so I have access to the OEM software, even if I do not have an available license. That said, my father has a spare CD-Key from his x64 Family Pack (3 Keys for simultaneous operation). I am wondering if I can install Windows with the OEM software and then activate it with the Family Pack CD key or will I have to wait a week for it [Family Pack disk] to arrive in the post?

My time is important to me...
Thanks,
-Klosteral

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I am not sure about this, but if it does not work, I can always install over it once the disk comes.

The new problem is that I cannot even install it because the installation crashes when it tries to make the hard drive bootable!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Are you trying an upgrade (after booting to Windows) or booting directly from the Win 7 DVD?

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Booting directly. I have built a new machine so its hard drives are clean.

I think I have found the culprit; the SATA drives were set to act as AHCI instead of IDE. After switching it, the install went fine.

Problem number 3. I left my computer powered on to 'install updates and shut down' as it had 270MB, 73 updates to do. When I left to go to bed, it said 'Installing update 3 of 5'. Now it says 'Installing update 5 of 5'. Why is this taking so long?

Thanks,
-Klosteral