TPYLE141

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I'm Kinda New At This And Need Help. Have A System With ECS K7VTA3 Rev. 8 Mobo, 40 Gig WD Hard Drive , 256 mb Of PC2700 Ram, And 64 mb Geforce Video Card. I Have 2 Processors, 1. AMD Athlon(Tbird) 1400,
2. AMD duron 1600. Which One Is The Best One For Me To Use.

Thanks

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Kindof depends on what you're doing, but there won't be much difference in either case. The Athlon will likely do better in games by a little, and the Duron maybe a little faster in normal tasks. The Duron is a newer chip.

Mike.

TPYLE141

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Ok Guys Thanks I'm Not Gonna Replace Puter Its A OLdie But Goodie That My Kids Use Now. Was Just Curious, They Mostly Play Games And Do A Little Online Stuff. How Would I Overclock The Board Doen't Have Multipier Jumpers.

Thanks Guys

jwhicks727

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
This guy has a seriously wierd way of writing. I've seen all caps, all lowercase, and of course blatant non-use of punctuation, but this is just odd.

AntiHax0r

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
maYbe hE iZ a gENiuS
I aGreE ;) ..

I'd go for the duron in general, because its a newer chip than the T-Bird, and would be close or if not slightly better in performance...also cheaper.. though it may be possible to find an athlon xp (palomino) to work in early socket A boards :) which are also very cheap now

linux_0

Splendid
On a more serious note you can pick up some decent parts on ebay if you know where to look in order to upgrade the thing.

Or if you have a decent budget buy yourself an Athlon 64 939 4000+ with 1GB PC3200 and give your current box to the kids (as long as it's better than what they have now).

Maybe not buy yourself a whole new system you can just upgrade what you have now if your components are good and then take the innards and use them to upgrade the computer for the kids :)

happy holidayz all!

live long and prosper

PS Give Linux a try