kmode_exception_not _handled

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Hi, I am trying to add a linksys lnepc12 network card to a
machine running NT4.0 version 1. The problem I have is
that after rebooting I am getting a
kmode_exception_not_handled address fd58bc19 has base at
fd57f000_tcpip.sys message. What the heck did I do and how
do repair it? This computer is in a machine tool so if it
doesn't run the machine won't run.
Thanks for your help
Ray Ward
tooling_guy@earthlink.net

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

You probably used the original NT CD but did not reapply your service pack
BEFORE rebooting. This is a known issue. You will need to get into the
system by installing a parallel copy of NT and then rename tcpip.sys to
tcpip.old in the original install. (most likely c:\winnt\system32). This
should be enough for you to boot back into the original install and get to
the desktop. Then you will rename tcpip.old back to tcpip.sys and reapply
your current service pack. This should allow you to reboot without further
issues. Anytime you put the original NT CD into the machine and copy files
from it you must reapply your current service pack BEFORE rebooting(when it
ask to reboot say no and reapply SP), this is especially important with
networking. I recommend installing the parallel onto a different partition
than the orginal C drive or you could cause problems with the orginal
install. Here's a article for more details.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;244378&Product=nts40

--
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259003&Product=nts40

Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server

In article <epmghjLHEHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
Scott Harding - MS MVP <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote:
>You probably used the original NT CD but did not reapply your service pack
>BEFORE rebooting. This is a known issue. You will need to get into the
>system by installing a parallel copy of NT and then rename tcpip.sys to
>tcpip.old in the original install. (most likely c:\winnt\system32). This
>should be enough for you to boot back into the original install and get to
>the desktop. Then you will rename tcpip.old back to tcpip.sys and reapply
>your current service pack. This should allow you to reboot without further
>issues. Anytime you put the original NT CD into the machine and copy files
>from it you must reapply your current service pack BEFORE rebooting(when it
>ask to reboot say no and reapply SP), this is especially important with
>networking. I recommend installing the parallel onto a different partition
>than the orginal C drive or you could cause problems with the orginal
>install.

I recommend just booting to DOS 7 (i.e. Win98 boot floppy will do) and
deleting or renaming TCPIP.SYS (unless your boot partition is NTFS).
Actually, DOS 6 will do if the NT partition is FAT16 (NT doesn't support
FAT32). Saves a whole lot of time having to reinstall a parallel copy
of NT. The system SHOULD boot without TCPIP.SYS. You won't have
networking, but you'll have a working system that you CAN apply the
latest service pack to.

Patrick Klos Email: patrick@klos.com
==================== What goes around, comes around... =====================

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Yes, sorry. Didn't mention if it was FAT or NTFS. I assumed it was NTFS.
Thanks for the catch.

--

=========