Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking New X800GTO by 37.5% with stock fan/heat sink

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 21, 2005 1:25:36 PM

So my new Sapphire Radeon X800GTO (AGP version) came in.

Overclocked w/ Stock Fan/Heat Sink
GPU by 37.5% (400 default / OCed to 550mhz)
RAM by 30% (490 default / OCed to 615mhz)

5500 3Dmark05 (Default Settings)
11385 3Dmark03 (Default Settings)
50fps in BF2SF at 1152x864 Highest Settings 6xAA

4752 3Dmark05 Maximum Quality 1024x768 4xAA 8xAF

The core for this card is the R480 the same core as the X850 Series this is one of the reasons this card can Overclock so high.

Here are all the screen shots.
Images are safe to view.

Here are some reference links on the X800GTO cards.

Tom's Hardware

tech Power Up Forums

So I am very happy w/ my X800GTO overclocked!!! :mrgreen:
50FPS in BF2 w/ that resolution and quality is awsome!

By the way the scores on 3Dmark for this card is right in there w/ the 6800GT & 6800GS and above the X800XL according to Tom's Hardware settings.
December 22, 2005 4:13:15 AM

okay so i thinking about trying my hand at my saphire radeon x800gt i just got in the mail from newegg. I want to overclock it once just to see what i can safely push it to. I dont plan on leaving there cause well, we dont need to. It will play all the games we play at max detail for time to come. So the question is, when i prepare to do this, as long as i keep the temps down i dont have to worry to much about frying the card right. What kind of decrease in life expectency can you expect from you card leaving at those speeds? Will it most likely kill alot of the life expectency in my x800 gt after doing this once. Ill have a side case fan blowing on it, and a pci card fan blowing underneath it, will these be good enough cooling. My case temps are low cause of all fans i have blowing on it. Now how do you keep the ram bars on the card cool so you dont mess the card up , overclocking the ram on it. IM a begginer and i dont want to destroy my 170.00 dollar card i just bought, and i would like to sell it on ebay in the future and would like to let people know how well this card overclocked even though i didnt keep it at that speed. ANd being the expert you are on this, considering your overclock on card what would be the one advise you would give to me that you felt you knew sooner in life when it comes to overclocking video cards. SOrry this message is so long but want to know what i need to know. I might give overclocking a try first on my radeon 9550 card first to see howit does. what about volt modding this card, ive heard something abou that to. oh can you give me a good link that will help me. like info on how much i should go up at a time, and what programs should i run to test it. thanks guys, you all rock on THG.
December 22, 2005 4:35:12 AM

Congrats Strive... you've got yourself a killer card right there - I'm giving some serious thought to heading the 800GTO route myself (though I've had my 6600GT for the sum total of 4 months now...)
Related resources
December 22, 2005 7:37:55 AM

Quote:
okay so i thinking about trying my hand at my saphire radeon x800gt i just got in the mail from newegg. I want to overclock it once just to see what i can safely push it to. I dont plan on leaving there cause well, we dont need to. It will play all the games we play at max detail for time to come. So the question is, when i prepare to do this, as long as i keep the temps down i dont have to worry to much about frying the card right. What kind of decrease in life expectency can you expect from you card leaving at those speeds? Will it most likely kill alot of the life expectency in my x800 gt after doing this once. Ill have a side case fan blowing on it, and a pci card fan blowing underneath it, will these be good enough cooling. My case temps are low cause of all fans i have blowing on it. Now how do you keep the ram bars on the card cool so you dont mess the card up , overclocking the ram on it. IM a begginer and i dont want to destroy my 170.00 dollar card i just bought, and i would like to sell it on ebay in the future and would like to let people know how well this card overclocked even though i didnt keep it at that speed. ANd being the expert you are on this, considering your overclock on card what would be the one advise you would give to me that you felt you knew sooner in life when it comes to overclocking video cards. SOrry this message is so long but want to know what i need to know. I might give overclocking a try first on my radeon 9550 card first to see howit does. what about volt modding this card, ive heard something abou that to. oh can you give me a good link that will help me. like info on how much i should go up at a time, and what programs should i run to test it. thanks guys, you all rock on THG.

It all comes down to letting the software do the work for you.
ATITool will detect your cards MAX GPU and MAX Mem clocks w/o overheateing your card. This tool also scans for artifacts better than anything else out there. Also you have done the right thing and purchased a Sapphire card. I can't tell you how disapointed I was w/ a PowerColor I once had. If going ATI stay away form PowerColor.

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

By the way I OCed my Sapphire 9600xt for 2 years by over 18% and it has still never let me down.
December 22, 2005 7:40:18 AM

Quote:
Congrats Strive... you've got yourself a killer card right there - I'm giving some serious thought to heading the 800GTO route myself (though I've had my 6600GT for the sum total of 4 months now...)

6600GT is still a great card. I just had to have a $400 part for $200. :lol: 
I am currently expiramenting w/ Voltage Mods on my old 9600xt and once prefected I plan to Volt Mod the X800GTO to OC even Higher.
Wish me luck.
December 22, 2005 9:05:18 PM

there's a program that came with the CD, its a overclocking program that came with the CD rom driver. It shows temps and everything, and has something that will show my max overclock so i should use that deff.
January 4, 2006 3:18:11 PM

i am waiting for a x800 gto fireblade to arrive. paid 190 euro for it which was the best price i could find. killer card :twisted:
February 1, 2006 12:57:26 AM

I have the gto2 but I might rma it to newegg and get a 7800gt. Will the gto2 be able to play bf2 on 1024x768 with everything high on this pc:

amd 64 3200+
2gb gigaram
asrock 939socket mobo
x800gto2 unlocked to x850xt and oc'd to pe speeds
500w xclio psu
!