cannot ping local computers

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

I have a problem with my Windows 2000 Professional desktop. The problem
started when I yanked out my Wi-fi card and started using the onboard
Ethernet adapter.

I can obtain an IP address from my DHCP server/gateway (192.168.1.1) but
cannot ping the gateway or other local computers. I can release the IP
address and renew it but cannot ping out. I tried reinstalling the network
driver, and uninstalling ZoneAlarm, but the problem persists.

Any tips? Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

At a command prompt, type ipconfig
1. Check the following:
1. You are using the correct mask - i.e the same mask as your other
machines
2. You have the correct default gateway

2. Verify that you can ping the loopback address - If not, then you may have
to reset your tcpip stack.
Use the following command to do so : NETSH INT IP RESET <<logfilename>>
Where logfilename is the name of a file to be specified by you.

3. Verify that you can ping the local ip address
If you cannot ping your local address, check the properties of the
interface to make sure you are using the correct media type, frame type etc.

Louise Bowman
MSFT