E-mail errors

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

All of a sudden, we started receiving this TCP/IP error
when trying to send or receive e-mail: "421 'Server name'
Connection limit reached". What is that? I rebooted our
server (NT 4.0 w/SP2, Exchange Server 5.5) and e-mail is
sporadic at best. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

"Schawn" <schawn@*no-spam*holltechpubs.com> wrote in message
> All of a sudden, we started receiving this TCP/IP error
> when trying to send or receive e-mail: "421 'Server name'
> Connection limit reached". What is that? I rebooted our
> server (NT 4.0 w/SP2, Exchange Server 5.5) and e-mail is
> sporadic at best. Any thoughts?

Well according to 225538--"XCLN: Error Message: Messages Can Be Received But
Not Sent" http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=225538 the message just means
what it says, and recommends increasing the limit. If by "e-mail is
sporadic at best" means that your users are sending only a small number then
is it possible some external party is using the server to send spam etc?
--
Alan J. McFarlane
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alanjmcf/

"Alan J. McFarlane" <alanjmcf@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote in message

> is it possible some external party is using the server to send spam etc?

Is there an easy way to determine this? In my case, I have verified that
only Outlook Express is using (remote) port 25. I assume that Outlook
Express is not sending email I am not aware of. So for the benefit of
others, if it is possible to verify that port 25 is being used only by the
email software that is being used by us, then is it safe to assume that
there is not any eamil being sent that we are not aware of?

I don't see any other port being used that seems to be for sending email.
For the benefit of others, is anyone aware of any other port that could be
used to send email without the system owner's knowledge?