stumped....can not access one certain public ip address

morten

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Hi
I have a win XP Pro machine connected to the internet via a router and a DSL
modem, All connections to the internet works fine, but when i want to access
one certain public ip address i get an error (i.e. in IE its a dns error, TS
its remote connection failed)

if i do an nslookup of the friendly name the correct public ip address
shows, I can not ping the address, since this is blocked by their firewall,
but i can ping other ip addresses. I can create a TS session to another
public server and from there access the website located at that ip address
and create a TS session from that server and connect.

I have no entries in my host file and all other DNS queries can be
performed.

Any one got any clues? Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Maybe they are blocking your IP on their end?

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Morten" <mjanum@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I have a win XP Pro machine connected to the internet via a router and a
DSL
> modem, All connections to the internet works fine, but when i want to
access
> one certain public ip address i get an error (i.e. in IE its a dns error,
TS
> its remote connection failed)
>
> if i do an nslookup of the friendly name the correct public ip address
> shows, I can not ping the address, since this is blocked by their
firewall,
> but i can ping other ip addresses. I can create a TS session to another
> public server and from there access the website located at that ip address
> and create a TS session from that server and connect.
>
> I have no entries in my host file and all other DNS queries can be
> performed.
>
> Any one got any clues? Thanks.

morten

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Its my own company :) and no the firewall is at this point not blocking any
IP's

"Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Maybe they are blocking your IP on their end?
>
> --
> Scott Harding
> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
>
> "Morten" <mjanum@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > I have a win XP Pro machine connected to the internet via a router and a
> DSL
> > modem, All connections to the internet works fine, but when i want to
> access
> > one certain public ip address i get an error (i.e. in IE its a dns
error,
> TS
> > its remote connection failed)
> >
> > if i do an nslookup of the friendly name the correct public ip address
> > shows, I can not ping the address, since this is blocked by their
> firewall,
> > but i can ping other ip addresses. I can create a TS session to another
> > public server and from there access the website located at that ip
address
> > and create a TS session from that server and connect.
> >
> > I have no entries in my host file and all other DNS queries can be
> > performed.
> >
> > Any one got any clues? Thanks.

geoff

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

You don't say whether you are inside or outside trying to access the
public address but this sounds like either a bad net mask or a routing
problem. Use tracert or pathping to find out how far your packets are
getting toward the target host. If the target is in your DMZ then it
may be a routing issue.

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:07:14 -0500, "Morten" <mjanum@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Its my own company :) and no the firewall is at this point not blocking any
>IP's
>
>"Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Maybe they are blocking your IP on their end?
>>
>> --
>> Scott Harding
>> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
>>
>> "Morten" <mjanum@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> > I have a win XP Pro machine connected to the internet via a router and a
>> DSL
>> > modem, All connections to the internet works fine, but when i want to
>> access
>> > one certain public ip address i get an error (i.e. in IE its a dns
>error,
>> TS
>> > its remote connection failed)
>> >
>> > if i do an nslookup of the friendly name the correct public ip address
>> > shows, I can not ping the address, since this is blocked by their
>> firewall,
>> > but i can ping other ip addresses. I can create a TS session to another
>> > public server and from there access the website located at that ip
>address
>> > and create a TS session from that server and connect.
>> >
>> > I have no entries in my host file and all other DNS queries can be
>> > performed.
>> >
>> > Any one got any clues? Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

"Morten" <mjanum@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I have a win XP Pro machine connected to the internet via a router and a
DSL
> modem, All connections to the internet works fine, but when i want to
access
> one certain public ip address i get an error (i.e. in IE its a dns error,
TS
> its remote connection failed)
>
> if i do an nslookup of the friendly name the correct public ip address
> shows, I can not ping the address, since this is blocked by their
firewall,
> but i can ping other ip addresses. I can create a TS session to another
> public server and from there access the website located at that ip address
> and create a TS session from that server and connect.
>
> I have no entries in my host file and all other DNS queries can be
> performed.
>
> Any one got any clues? Thanks.

Can any one else perform this action?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

What's the IP and we can test?