Displaying Random Triangles and Polygons

SwissDude

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I have been using an ATI Radeon 9800 PRO video card for about a year and it has worked fine until recently. In the last few weeks when ever I run a graphics intensive game like EQ2 or WOW there are random triangles and polygons displayed on the screen. They flit about the screen continuously. It almost looks like textures from one part of the screen are being placed in wrong locations. I thought at first that it may be due to the graphics chip overheating, but it happens whether the computer has been on for 2 minutes or several hours. Is this a sign that my video card has gone belly up? I updated my driver software to ATI catalyst 5.1, but it did not help.

y2903

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I have an ASUS Radeon Extreme AX800XT PE/2DHTV and I have the same problem. I get random triangles on the screen in ALL games. Usually for the first few minutes everything is fine and then more and more of these triangles start to appear. Eventually my monitor stops getting a signal from the video card and goes to sleep mode and I have to restart the computer. I too have the latest drivers. Any suggestions? Most of the triangles don't show up on a screenshot, but here's one from Civ.4, note the triangles around the city.

lol4fun

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
sounds like ya cards are overheating, check the fans are ok and that your case has surfficent cooling.

ps. sorry about the spellin lol