SBS with 2 nics and cannot ping internal pc's

Andrew

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

I have a SBS 5.5 server with 2 nic's
1 x nic is connected to the internet via a firewall
the other is connected the local network.

I CANNOT ping interal pc's via the 2nd nic, yet I can
ping the firwall.
The server is working (no connection issues), users can
log on and access files stored on the server.

I just can't ping any local computers
Any help on clearing this problem would be of great help

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Andrew,

This may be a routing or address issue.

1. Any machine on the "internet" segment of your server will need to have a
route specified to the "local" network. You can either add the route to
each machine, or you may add it on the firewall if it has the ability to
route.
If this is not the problem, then...

2. What are the ip addresses you are using on the the nics.
If by chance, you are trying to ping from an internet address to a
non-routable address - i.e 192.168.x.x, then you won't be able to ping
unless you set up NAT.

If neither of these are the issue --- then you need to start taking some
packet traces.

Louise Bowman
MSFT

"Andrew" <andrew.johnson@ftservices.com> wrote in message
> I have a SBS 5.5 server with 2 nic's
> 1 x nic is connected to the internet via a firewall
> the other is connected the local network.
>
> I CANNOT ping interal pc's via the 2nd nic, yet I can
> ping the firwall.
> The server is working (no connection issues), users can
> log on and access files stored on the server.
>
> I just can't ping any local computers
> Any help on clearing this problem would be of great help

Andrew

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Louise
Thanks for the reply, The problem is not with the
internet side (I think).
I am adding some software to the server that requires it
to connect to another system of the local area network.
When trying to map a drive on the SBS server to the
database server, the SBS server could not see it or ping
it.
Please note: I can ping everything on the Wan but nothing
on the Lan. (WAN nic address 10.0.1.71, LAN nic
10.0.1.70).
Yet Clients on the Lan can access the server using the
LAN nic.

confers no rights.