Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ipaq 4150 & TomTom 3 Car Installation

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 3:55:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi All,

Firstly I would just like to say hi, this is my first post but I've been
reading all your posts for some months now, and they've all been very useful
to me to some degree or other!

Now my dilemma:-

I purchased the 4150 wireless ipaq a few months ago, and have now just
purchased the tom-tom 3 wireless kit. I intend to connect to the gps
receiver via Bluetooth, which would be fine but I've since added the traffic
software which if it's to keep up to date requires to make a connection via
the mobile every so often. Thus I'm thinking this also needs a connection
via Bluetooth, which is the problem, I believe it's not possible to have
more than one connection at one time.

Now with the tom-tom kit came a cable. This plugs into the cig lighter power
socket which can keep the gps charged, and it also spurs off via a version
of a telephone cable to the ipaq, I believe this would keep the ipaq charged
also, and using the wire would free up Bluetooth for the ipaq and the mobile
to connect with each other as and when required.

I'd like to locate the ipaq to my right on the dash in the corner, rather
than on centre in my field of vision as the cradle is quite large, but this
is of some distance, a '95 mk1 mondeo to be precise.

Now this would be the ideal setup for myself but the cabled connection is
not that long, does anybody know whether this cable is adaptable or is there
an extension available some place?

Many thanks to all who can help, I'm hoping to make this a professional
installation of sorts if I can which will last!

Cheers for now and thanking you in advance for your time,

Harvey.
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 3:55:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> Firstly I would just like to say hi, this is my first post but I've been
> reading all your posts for some months now, and they've all been very
> useful to me to some degree or other!

Welcome!

> I purchased the 4150 wireless ipaq a few months ago, and have now just
> purchased the tom-tom 3 wireless kit. I intend to connect to the gps
> receiver via Bluetooth, which would be fine but I've since added the
> traffic software which if it's to keep up to date requires to make a
> connection via the mobile every so often. Thus I'm thinking this also
> needs a connection via Bluetooth, which is the problem, I believe it's
> not possible to have more than one connection at one time.

I've successfully run CoPilot Live with an Emtac Bluetooth GPS on the
default COM6, and then had another bluetooth connection running to my
Sony Ericsson Z600 (and previously T610) for a GPRS connection, so it is
definitely possible.

> Now with the tom-tom kit came a cable. This plugs into the cig lighter
> power socket which can keep the gps charged, and it also spurs off via a
> version of a telephone cable to the ipaq, I believe this would keep the
> ipaq charged also, and using the wire would free up Bluetooth for the
> ipaq and the mobile to connect with each other as and when required.

I think you can get away without this if you do as above. I'd recommend
definitely having the iPAQ powered by a cigarette lighter adapter as it
chews through batteries pretty quickly with both BT connections going
constantly.

> I'd like to locate the ipaq to my right on the dash in the corner,
> rather than on centre in my field of vision as the cradle is quite large,
> but this is of some distance, a '95 mk1 mondeo to be precise.

Using one of the mounting brackets from http://www.brodit.com you may be
able to get a better fit.

Regards,
Shane.
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 10:54:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Harvey wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Firstly I would just like to say hi, this is my first post but I've
> been reading all your posts for some months now, and they've all been
> very useful to me to some degree or other!
>
> Now my dilemma:-
>
> I purchased the 4150 wireless ipaq a few months ago, and have now just
> purchased the tom-tom 3 wireless kit. I intend to connect to the gps
> receiver via Bluetooth, which would be fine but I've since added the
> traffic software which if it's to keep up to date requires to make a
> connection via the mobile every so often. Thus I'm thinking this also
> needs a connection via Bluetooth, which is the problem, I believe
> it's not possible to have more than one connection at one time.
>
> Now with the tom-tom kit came a cable. This plugs into the cig
> lighter power socket which can keep the gps charged, and it also
> spurs off via a version of a telephone cable to the ipaq, I believe
> this would keep the ipaq charged also, and using the wire would free
> up Bluetooth for the ipaq and the mobile to connect with each other
> as and when required.
>
> I'd like to locate the ipaq to my right on the dash in the corner,
> rather than on centre in my field of vision as the cradle is quite
> large, but this is of some distance, a '95 mk1 mondeo to be precise.
>
> Now this would be the ideal setup for myself but the cabled
> connection is not that long, does anybody know whether this cable is
> adaptable or is there an extension available some place?
>
> Many thanks to all who can help, I'm hoping to make this a
> professional installation of sorts if I can which will last!
>
> Cheers for now and thanking you in advance for your time,
>
> Harvey.



You can happily have BT connections to both a mobile phone and GPS running
concurrently, I use TTNav and do just that. The cable to power the TT BT GPS
terminates in an RJ-11 socket. You can use an R-11 extension cable
available from any decent comnputer shop to extend this to allow you to
locate the cradle where you wish. And now you're a GPS User pay us a visit
:) 


--
Darren Griffin
PocketGPSWorld - www.pocketgpsworld.com
The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums
!