Purchasing a good 256 PCI Express card

UNREAL

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2004
Hi everyone.
I just purchased a good motherboard.
Fatal1ty AN8 SLi ATX Socket 939 Motherboard
But what good is it without a good video card.
I have in mind a 256 PCI Express card and name is not relevant.
What is relevant is the budget I have setup to buy one which is in the range of $250 - $325.

The card that I have very close in buying is the Radeon X850 XT and it is well within my price range. This card thought takes two slots in my computer and I am not sure if my motherboard is going to loose a PCI connection because of it. I would like to hear from tech people like you. Please give me suggestions I would like to hear what is out there.

Thank you very much.

Carlo

almostdecent

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2005
Hi everyone.
I just purchased a good motherboard.
Fatal1ty AN8 SLi ATX Socket 939 Motherboard
But what good is it without a good video card.
I have in mind a 256 PCI Express card and name is not relevant.
What is relevant is the budget I have setup to buy one which is in the range of $250 - $325.

The card that I have very close in buying is the Radeon X850 XT and it is well within my price range. This card thought takes two slots in my computer and I am not sure if my motherboard is going to loose a PCI connection because of it. I would like to hear from tech people like you. Please give me suggestions I would like to hear what is out there.

I had a similar budget and just purchased an nVIDIA 7800GT. I think that's the best one can get within that price range.

Albert

UNREAL

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2004
AlmostDecent, thanks for your reply.
I am definitely considering the nVIDIA 7800GT....and it is well under my price range. What motherboard are you using and what do you think of the one I just purchased "Fatal1ty AN8 SLi ATX Socket 939".

This motherboard now that I look at it is more for tweaking which is not my full intention I just bought it for it's very good reviews. I would have liked wifi integration as well as maybe a parallel connection....but anyhow I made up in the front bus speed and 1 gig ethernet connection.

almostdecent

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2005
AlmostDecent, thanks for your reply.
I am definitely considering the nVIDIA 7800GT....and it is well under my price range. What motherboard are you using and what do you think of the one I just purchased "Fatal1ty AN8 SLi ATX Socket 939".

Looks fine. I have an ASUS A8N-E also socket 939. As to for the card, I chose the Gigabyte model with a factory installed Zalman cooler on it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/09/seven_of_nvidia/page16.html

Albert

Admiral_Cecil

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
Hello,

eVGA has the 7800 GT CO (470 core/ 1100 mem) for only $319.99 @ zipzoomfly.com. They have free 2nd day Fedex and charge no sales tax.

Power Color X800 XL is another good recommendation with its 16 pipes. Of course, 6800 GT at this point is good too.