Ad Hoc Network

I have a really basic Q!: Must I have a broadband connection (and appropriate
modem) in order to set up an ad hoc network?? I simply want to go wireless
from my laptop to my printer. I have a wireless printer server (802.11G) and
even a router that I can use. Thanks!

Mr

"Jay T." wrote:

> I have a really basic Q!: Must I have a broadband connection (and appropriate
> modem) in order to set up an ad hoc network?? I simply want to go wireless
> from my laptop to my printer. I have a wireless printer server (802.11G) and
> even a router that I can use. Thanks!

Mr

No. There is no need for internet or a modem. You need to setup a wireless
Local Area Netwrok. I recommend the following:
1. A laptop with wireless networking (most newer lapops have this already),
if not you can buy a wireless cardbus card (eg. Netgear 511). Alternatively
you can have you laptop connected to a wireless router via an ethernet cable.
2. A wireless router to communicate with the printer server. Note that this
is not essential since if wireless laptop can connect directly to the
wireless printer server.
3. Setup the network (read the documentation for each of these devices) so
that all of the devices use the same subnet mask/SSID/encryption protocol. At
the begining it is best to have no encryption at all till you have made
things work, later you can make the network encrypted. The router can be used
to assign IP addresses to each of the devices on your network.

It is all less complicated than it sounds.

"Jay T." wrote:

> I have a really basic Q!: Must I have a broadband connection (and appropriate
> modem) in order to set up an ad hoc network?? I simply want to go wireless
> from my laptop to my printer. I have a wireless printer server (802.11G) and
> even a router that I can use. Thanks!

What about setting both the computer and the print server to the Ad hoc
mode...wouldn't that eliminate the need for a router?