Remote connect using IP but not NetBios Name

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

I have a test setup where I upgraded Citrix Winframe 1.6 to NT4 Terminal
Server.
I have a Windows 2000 Domain Controller and the NT4 TS Stand-alone Server,
along with two workstations.
When I dial in from a remote computer, (Windows98) I can't connect when I
enter the Terminal Server name, but it does connect if I enter the IP of the
TS.
I know it's a name resolution thing, but the solution just escapes me at the
moment.
Any suggestions please?

--

Regards,

Slarty Bartfast
2 answers Last reply
More about remote connect netbios name
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

    The remote computer needs to use a WINS server or lmhosts for name
    resolution

    "Slarty Bartfast" <Slarty@Bartfast.com> wrote in message
    > I have a test setup where I upgraded Citrix Winframe 1.6 to NT4 Terminal
    > Server.
    > I have a Windows 2000 Domain Controller and the NT4 TS Stand-alone Server,
    > along with two workstations.
    > When I dial in from a remote computer, (Windows98) I can't connect when I
    > enter the Terminal Server name, but it does connect if I enter the IP of
    the
    > TS.
    > I know it's a name resolution thing, but the solution just escapes me at
    the
    > moment.
    > Any suggestions please?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Slarty Bartfast

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

    Thanks for your reply, Brendan. I thought of that, since I'm not already
    using WINS or a LMHOSTS file. However, my plan is to upgrade further to 2000
    Terminal Server, and that doesn't use WINS.

    It wasn't my idea to upgrade the old Citrix to 2000, I would rather do a
    clean install.
    The only way to go is to upgrade to NT4 Terminal Server, then upgrade that
    to 2000TS.

    What I did anyway, is go straight to Win2k upgrade and the name resoltion
    problem went away. It's working nicely now.

    --

    Regards,

    Slarty Bartfast

Connection Windows