Optimum altitudes for recip engined aircraft

Can someone who knows tell me the optimum altitude range for
recip-engined aircraft, e.g., Cessna 172, taking into account fuel
economy, and assuming no wind, turbulence or cumulo-granite.

Martin,
I looked at the Cruise Performance chart for a Cessna 172R, right out of
an actual POH that I have. It says that at 10,000 ft MSL at 2100 RPM, at
Standard Temperature, and with an aircraft weight of 2450 lbs, that the fuel
consumption is 6.4 GPH with an indicated airspeed of 100 Kts. This happens
to be the lowest fuel consumption at 2100 RPM for any altitude (at standard
temperature & 2450 lb weight) on the chart.

Randy L.

"Martin Cowley" <mcowley@senet_remove_this_.com.au> wrote in message
> Can someone who knows tell me the optimum altitude range for
> recip-engined aircraft, e.g., Cessna 172, taking into account fuel
> economy, and assuming no wind, turbulence or cumulo-granite.

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:45:14 -0700, "Randy L."
<rlink"nospam"@cableone.net> wrote:

>Martin,
> I looked at the Cruise Performance chart for a Cessna 172R, right out of
>an actual POH that I have. It says that at 10,000 ft MSL at 2100 RPM, at
>Standard Temperature, and with an aircraft weight of 2450 lbs, that the fuel
>consumption is 6.4 GPH with an indicated airspeed of 100 Kts. This happens
>to be the lowest fuel consumption at 2100 RPM for any altitude (at standard
>temperature & 2450 lb weight) on the chart.
>
>Randy L.
>
>"Martin Cowley" <mcowley@senet_remove_this_.com.au> wrote in message
>> Can someone who knows tell me the optimum altitude range for
>> recip-engined aircraft, e.g., Cessna 172, taking into account fuel
>> economy, and assuming no wind, turbulence or cumulo-granite.

Thanks a lot, Randy. At that altitude I might have to park an oxygen
bottle next to my computer desk, just in case . . .