Sign in with
Your question

Slow Boot Time in Win7 Ultimate

Last response: in Windows 7
March 14, 2011 3:02:48 PM

Hi guys. I recently built a system and it has been running relatively smoothly for a while until all of a sudden my boot time at least doubled. I dont think that this is general slowing down due to more programs installed etc. there must be some kind of problem. At first i thought it might have been one of my USB devices so i removed all but my necessary ones (Mouse, keyboard, wireless network and sound.) and it was still very slow so im not quite sure what the problem is. Sometimes it pauses on the welcome screen and sometimes a black screen just before that. Any ideas on how to fix this problem? Also while im asking about this, does anyone have any tips on how to keep my PC running nice and smoothly? Normally i would just defrag/disk cleanup/virus scan when i start to notice it slowing down and physically clean the case if i notice any overheating.

I'll list my system and USB devices below.

Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.8Ghz
Corsair XMS3 2x2GB 1600Mhz
ASRock P55 Deluxe
Palit GTX 460 1GB SE
750W XFX Pro
500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Antec 902
500GB Toshiba External HDD
EMU 0202 USB 2.0 Audio Interface
Netgear WN111 Network Adapter (On a 2m USB A-B Cable)
Logitech K200 Keyboard
Logitech G500 Mouse
March 14, 2011 6:22:53 PM

When it comes to performance issues, we have to break things down into hardware & software
(I really doubt it's your hardware, as everything seems new, but I've seen people with/lemmons in the past)

When it comes to software:
How about getting windows updates?? any recent ones?
Have there been any applications installed/uninstalled recently on your PC?
What about anti-viruses?
Do you see new bars on your browser, any error messages when you log in or shut down?

Mainly, does it happen at boot only or would you get some similar response when you work on something??
Post me, I'll see what can be done :) 

I'm new here, but been around for a while now :) 
March 14, 2011 8:21:24 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply. Just to let you know, just tried a chkdsk and it got a fair bit faster, this is probably at what is is meant to be at now to be honest. No harm in trying to speed it up though so ill answer your questions anyway.

I have downloaded every update and i dont think that is the problem.

Recent installs are CPUid hardware monitor, Warcraft 3, Skype and Furmark.

I have AVG Free and Malwarebytes. They dont seem to be conflicting with each other so i think all is good there.

And finally no i hate pointless toolbars, ive kept well away from those :) . No error messages either.

Think that chkdsk sorted it out to be honest, shouldve tried that before asking really, thanks for the help anyway. Also if anyone has any tips on keeping the PC running smoothly theyre welcome here :) 

Thanks
Related resources
March 14, 2011 8:23:21 PM

Just to add for anyone else that reads this because they had the same problem, i did defrag, disk cleanup, scan with avg and Malwarebytes and unplug my external HDD too. Pretty sure those things probably helped a bit too.
March 15, 2011 5:15:19 AM

Cool you keep a track on what you do to your rig...

Run MSCONFIG (Hold the Windows key down, it's next to alt, & hit "R", you'll see "RUN", type in MSCONFIG), go to the
Startup tab & uncheck any undesired item from the list (I've left only my MS Security Essentials besides the Video & Audio drivers checked: by the way, you'll have to get familiarized with their names, for example MSE shows as MS security clien0, Video may be, depending on your video chip, Intel GMA, NVIDIA Control Panel or Catalyst Control Center, etc).
You can also change the time for booting at the boot tab, default's 30secs, minimum is 5. Once you get the welcome screen, it'll take just a breath to get your desktop.

Keep your desktop as clean of folders/shortcuts/gadgets as you may, as these ones have to be loaded by the OS at booting too.

Run CCleaner from Piriform to delete any bad Registry entries, there are some left-overs there from time to time.

I've also heard keeping a small partition for the OS helps a lot.

Maybe a RAM upgrade could help you if you want to go one step further.
!