BoloY

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I'm not sure if my problem is the hard disk.
When I start the PC the BIOS S.M.A.R.T. function says "Bad hard disk:Back-up and replace".
Sometimes the BIOS cannot find the HD. After couple of restarts the BIOS finds the HD again. I know I have to replace the HD.
My question is about the games. When I play the game sometimes my display freeze and after 5-10 seconts the PC restarts by itself.
I have the latest drivers.
I check the temperature - it goes up to 70ºC when I play. I have Pentium 4 2.8GHz.
I've checked the memory - it is OK.
Do you think the problem can be from the HD? Or from somewhere else?

Mortse

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Ok, If your hard drive works fine under load when not playing games then it is unlikely to be the hard drive.

The processor temperature seems to be quite high, this may be what is restarting your pc. There will be a function in the Bios to shutdown the pc at a certain temperature which could be around the 70 C mark. Try removing the side panel to cool it down then check if the games run.

If it is not the cpu temp then it must be a gfx issue, If it crashes on all games that you play then perhaps you have a faulty gfx card/driver or directX issue. It is possible that the gfx card could be over heating also, check the fan on it if it has one to see if its spinning ok.

Let me know how you get on.

Finneus

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I have had something similar happen to me in the past. It could be your PSU going.
My computer was prone to freezing up and rebooting (especially during games) till it got to the point were it was screwing up the boot record on my hard drives (so I would think it was a faulty drive until my new drive would go as well).
It could be your hard drive, but get your Power supply checked out (its pretty insidious because the power supply would be fine when it was cool but would cause problems after it warmed up, so everytime I had someone check it out it appeared to be working fine).
So if you can get your hands on another PSU give it a try.

BoloY

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Thank you all for the information.
I saw in Event Viewer almost every day I have an error which says that my HDD need to be replaced immidiately because it will crash soon.
So I have to change the HDD anyway.
If the problem is not gone, I will check what is the situation with the temperature. Then with power supply module.
Then we will see :D
Thank you very much once again.