Gigabyte 7800GT - Do I need extra ram sinks?

almostdecent

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2005
I just bought myself a Gigabyte 7800GT GV-NX78T256D-ZK, a 7800GT with a factory-installed Zalman cooler (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16814125214) and should be getting it in a few days when my friend arrives from the US with it here to Brazil. The main reason for the choice was not overclocking (there will be none), but because I live in a warm environment (no AC), and want to best protect the card. My previous plain vanilla XFX 6800, with stock cooler idled at 60 C. and ran at 80-90 C. on a load.

My concern now, hopefully not serious, is that someone just added feedback to NewEgg (see link above) complaining it didn't have ram-sinks, and that without them, it would run dangerously hot.

Could someone knowledgeable tell me whether I should I be genuinely concerned? Will software help tell me if there is a problem, such as Rivatuner or other? I recall their telling me about the GPU temperature, but nothing about the card's RAM. Any tips if I have to go that path?

Albert

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
For one thing, your link doesn't work (and isn't a link).

For another, they're really unlikely to ship a card without what it needs. You could always saw up an old hs to make some RAMsinks if you're bothered, but I doubt you'll have any problems at all.

Since you're not overclocking, your RAM shouldn't get that hot.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, but it is newegg. Just search for the part number in the non-link. **shrug**

I think you're underestimating the power of hot climates. :eek:

Personally, I like to over-estimate things like that. A little extra headroom never hurt anybody. :D

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Search for stuff? Bah. I'm not nearly bored enough at work for that level of helpfulness. Clicking on a link is pushing the boat out at the moment :D

I think you're underestimating the power of hot climates.
True probably, but these things are built with a fair ol' tolerance in mind.... And Many cards don't come with RAMsinks anyway. I can't imagine They'd happily ship a product that requires RAMsinks in a comparatively large portion of the world.. Even if it's only 5% of total sales which go to hotter countries, that's still a good many returns they could have easily avoided.

If his case has reasonable ventilation, then I can't see it being a problem really... :S But even if it is, it's not exactly hard to sort out, if you have an old cooler and a hacksaw :mrgreen:

almostdecent

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2005
Yeah, but it is newegg. Just search for the part number in the non-link. **shrug**

I think you're underestimating the power of hot climates. :eek:

Personally, I like to over-estimate things like that. A little extra headroom never hurt anybody. :D

Agreed on the climate comment especially. This is a tropical climate. Most people here have never seen snow in their life, except in movies or on TV. In Rio de Janeiro, 'cold' is defined as when you can't wear shorts or bermudas comfortably. And in over 10 years living here, the absolute coldest I ever saw was 12 degrees Celcius. Most years, the coldest is 16-17 C. and even then only exceptionally.

Here is a LINK that should work. Thanks for the help BTW, and happy holidays.

Albert