Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dreams and Sport Planes

Last response: in Video Games
Share
March 16, 2005 7:23:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I have a question.

But first I must explain. It's a long explanation so anyone not wanting
to read through this just scroll to the bottom where the question is.

================================================
I had a dream. I say *had*, it's still possible, but not probable.

Retiring from the Army after 25 years guarantees me a retirement check
every month which is more than most people around here make working 40
hours a week. BUT!!!!! ask any soldier and you will find there are NO 8
hour days. Typical days for pilots were from 12 to 16 hours a day and
we spent weeks in the field walking through mud or in the desert with
sweat soaked flight suits. We simply did not have enough people to
perform the missions. So I believe I earned my pension.

Enough of that. I retired and some time later went to work for a Grand
Canyon helicopter tour company and flew seasonally for 6 months. As my
employment was nearing an end in October I was asked if I would consider
working full time. I thought it over for a night and declined. I didn't
need the money. I had 2 uncashed checks from the company in the center
console of my Corvette which I hadn't bothered to cash, I was single and
didn't need to work so I had enough money already.

More "Enough of that"

As I was working at the Canyon I discovered a neat little aircraft that
I fell in love with. The RAF 2000 Gyrocopter (Rotary Air Force). (See
web page below) I sent for the information and a video and it wasn't
long before I called an airframe mechanic I knew at Ft Hood who agreed
to help me build the Gyro.(Actually he was going to build it) I
contacted a flight instructor in Pensacola FL to set up some instruction
flights and evals. The little Gyro was perfect for me. Flew almost as
fast as a a R22 and had a bit better range. A Suburu auto engine was the
power plant and ran fine on regular auto gas. Another thing, landing on
a country road beside a service station was easy to find and easy to do.
You then secured the blade fore and aft and now you had a scooter to
just pull into a service station for gas. If it's too dangerous to land
on the road there are MANY small airstrips where you can set down and
then putt putt to the service station. Put some brake lights on it and
I think Alabama would register it as a trike motorcycle. It's a two
seater so there was a lot of room for my baggage and I would be ready to
fly around the country, anywhere I chose to go, I have friends
everywhere. The cabin is enclosed and heated and rental cars are cheap.
Sound good?

The RAF web site is being re-built after hackers destroyed it but you
can check later when it comes back up. They have a side by side
comparison of the RAF2000 and a R22. The Gyro cannot hover of course
but landing at 10 to 15 MPH is pretty darn close. As for the other
comparisons, The RAF was really close.

==============================================================
RAF 2000
Two-seat enclosed autogyro
Engine: 130 hp EJ22 Subaru, Carb or FI
Propeller:68” groundadjustable warpdrive 3-blade composite,
2.1:1 cog belt reduction
Rotor Blades: 30’ X 8.5” RAF composite, aluminum spar

Specifications:
Min Speed 10-15 mph
Cruise 70 mph
Top Speed 100 mph
Empty Weight 760 lbs
Useful Load 575 lbs
Width 5’
Height 8’6”
Length 13’6”

Includes engine, instruments, prerotator, electric starter, cabin, drum
brakes. 2000GTX also has rough field gear, wheel pants, other features.
Info pkg. $12; Info pkg. and VHS video $28; Info pkg. and PAL video $40;
construction manual and 9 video set (includes shipping within North
America) $350

Kits: RAF 2000 STD SE $20,615 (U.S.)
RAF 2000 GTX SE FI $25,500 (U.S.)


There are really good deals if a person searches. I've found great
RAF2000s for $18,000 and less


========================================================

Well then Gabriella entered my life. She was a tourist on my helicopter
and somehow the chemistry was right. (on a one hour flight) So after I
finished my employment I put the Gyro on hold and I packed up and went
to Germany with her. In Germany I started getting some really bad pain
in every joint but that's another story. It's the reason I probably
won't fly anything again.

But to the point finally.... I have talked about ultralights and how
easy they are to fly. But there is a "Sport-Plane" license now that has
some limitations but perfect for anyone liking to fly low and moderately
fast cross-country flying in a RAF2000. It cruises faster than a TH-55

Here are the requirements and a piper cub fits into the Sport Plane
category:

Sport Aircraft:

* Maximum gross (loaded) weight: 1232lbs.
* Minimum speed in landing configuration: 44mph (Vso)
* Maximum cruise speed: 132 mph
* Fixed landing gear (non retractable)
* Maximum of one passenger in addition to the pilot
* Daytime flight in good weather (day Visual Flight Rules - VFR)


Sport Pilots:

* Minimum flight training of 15 hours dual instruction and 5 hours
of solo flight
* Pass a written examination
* Pass a practical (flight) examination
* A current drivers license (replaces the private pilot medical
certificate)


=================================================================

Here is an quote from this web page

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/content/2004/oct/sportp...

One of the most important--and most debated—changes is that sport pilots
will no longer be required to pass FAA medical examinations to fly a
light-sport aircraft. The only medical requirement is that the pilot
must be healthy enough to possess a common driver’s license.


Student pilots who are beginning training will find the cost of
getting a license significantly less expensive. The sport pilot requires
a minimum of 20 hours--half the amount required for a private pilot’s
license. According to FAA Administrator Marion Blakely, the average cost
for a private pilot’s license is $9,000, while the estimated cost to
become a sport pilot will be $2,600. Like private pilots, sport pilots
will also be required to pass a written exam and pass a practical flight
test with an FAA examiner or designee.

Sport pilots, however, won't enjoy the same privileges of private
pilots. They'll be restricted to day-VFR flight only. Pilots who intend
to fly aircraft that will exceed 87 knots require some additional
training. They must receive training and an endorsement to fly in Class
B, C or D airspace, and they can’t go above 10,000 feet. There are no
commercial operations allowed, and nothing can be towed behind the
airplane.

This new sport-pilot license privileges will extend over a variety of
aircraft, including gliders, power parachutes, gyroplanes,
weight-shift-control, airships and balloons. Aircraft that qualify under
the new LSA are limited to one reciprocating engine, two seats, fixed
landing gear, a fixed pitch propeller, a maximum stall speed of 45 knots
and a max speed of 120 knots in level flight. Airplanes can't exceed a
gross weight of 1,320 pounds or 1,430 pounds for seaplanes.

While only a handful of currently certified aircraft can qualify as a
light sport aircraft (Aeronca Chiefs and Champs, Piper Cubs, Luscombes
and Taylorcraft and few others), the new ruling is expected to bring a
gaggle of new airplanes to the market.


One reason is the revolutionary shift for LSA aircraft certification
process. Rather than going through the hugely expensive FAA type
certification that's required of private aircraft for a normal category
airworthiness certificate, the process will now adhere to industry
consensus standards as put forward by the American Society for Testing
and Materials (ASTM). This will allow the LSA manufacturers to certify
aircraft much quicker and with less expense.

Traditional kit planes regulations required that the owner and/or
builder construct a minimum of 51% of the aircraft, which would take
hundreds of hours of labor. The new sport experimental rules, on the
other hand, only call for the builder to participate and sign off that
he or she has played a part in making the aircraft airworthy. The
builder also needs to attend formal training classes to earn a
repairman’s certificate for minor maintenance, but the whole process is
much less time-consuming than it has been in the past.

=======================================================================



Melissa, or anyone here in the States, you could be flying in no time at
all. I'm not having much luck getting people flying I see but I keep trying.


Here's some photos

http://flightsims.vze.com/raf2000/


Now the question. Does anyone know of any simulator gyrocopters
available? I have the 4 from Hovercontrol but can't find more.






--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)

More about : dreams sport planes

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 7:23:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: RIPEMD160

Hi boB,

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 04:23:09 GMT, you wrote:

> Melissa, or anyone here in the States, you could be flying in no
> time at all. I'm not having much luck getting people flying I see
> but I keep trying.

I can't answer your question, but I will respond to this...

I've been seriously considering the ultralight idea, and perhaps even
the Sport Pilot certification. The way things are at the moment,
it'll probably be nearly a year before I can really get serious about
any of this, as I'd really love to own my own aircraft as well. At
the price you quote for obtaining Sport Pilot training/certification,
I *could* go for it right now, but I've already committed myself to
some other projects that will take both time and money over this next
ten months or so. I'll see what happens after that!

At this point, both the ultralight and Sport Pilot ideas seem like
they could be very realistic dreams for me, so don't be too surprised
if sometime after the beginning of next year, I post a picture of me
flying my "Lawn Dart" ultralight above my local beach! :-)

- --
Melissa

PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQCVAwUBQjfgETEYqNTZBqoEAQO28wP9E3/vjnVRT8gxf1EfzdkPmuNdopzd9D/8
NWJgd5onhE2/0/+KXI/cRFOnFftprG32S2AAzNzgGY6906D2GyHebiZeUtaLs5n8
xheKX4m7NxMvSYdAykLKZhQHOweMsP45Dpi0HUsjZPNExoqtqcCBZShmaoy1GGim
G07193XHdjE=
=nofS
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
March 16, 2005 11:25:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Lawn Dart wrote:


> I've been seriously considering the ultralight idea, and perhaps even
> the Sport Pilot certification. The way things are at the moment,
> it'll probably be nearly a year before I can really get serious about
> any of this, as I'd really love to own my own aircraft as well. At
> the price you quote for obtaining Sport Pilot training/certification,
> I *could* go for it right now, but I've already committed myself to
> some other projects that will take both time and money over this next
> ten months or so. I'll see what happens after that!
>
> At this point, both the ultralight and Sport Pilot ideas seem like
> they could be very realistic dreams for me, so don't be too surprised
> if sometime after the beginning of next year, I post a picture of me
> flying my "Lawn Dart" ultralight above my local beach! :-)
>
> - --
> Melissa


You can do it and I can't wait to see the pictures.
Beach!!! I'm going looking for a sport plane with large wheels that is
good in sand. Having a beach so close to land on is quite lucky. Are you
able to taxi from the beach to your home? I'm excited for you.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 11:59:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: RIPEMD160

Hi boB,

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:25:24 GMT, you wrote:

> Beach!!! I'm going looking for a sport plane with large wheels that
> is good in sand. Having a beach so close to land on is quite lucky.

This "airport" is just a short walk up the beach from my house:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/aviation/airports/Copalis.htm

The write up on that page mentions that it can get crowded there, but
it never has been in the five years since I've lived here. I've
never seen more than one plane there at any given moment, and it's
always just an occasional sightseeing plane there to give the
passengers a little thrill to land on the beach, then they usually
take off after just a few minutes. If a plane actually lands there
once every two or three weeks, this seems about average during the
"busy season". More often, the planes just fly up and down the coast
and don't bother to land. I suppose this could also be because the
"airport" isn't really marked on the beach itself, so on the busy
weekends when a few planes are most likely to be flying over, there
are also more people walking all over the beach who have no idea that
little stretch of beach is an "airport". When I first moved here,
though I noticed a plane landing there now and again, I certainly had
no idea it was an official airport.

Though planes are not really supposed to land on the stretch of beach
directly in front of my house, now and then, someone will land here
as well.

> Are you able to taxi from the beach to your home?

No, because there's a small creek that has migrated along the edge of
the dune here, and it has eroded the bank enough so that there's
about a six or seven foot abrupt drop from the edge of the property
down to the creek/beach level. It would be an uncomfortable "nose
into the creek" end of the taxi for an ultralight or small plane! :-)
There is, however, plenty of room on the property here to land a
helicopter! :-)

- --
Melissa

PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (MingW32) - GPGshell v3.32

iQCVAwUBQjhlmDEYqNTZBqoEAQM19gP/XrcSIE4x3BXCOHxMHwi///W2C1KFJ5TI
YBq1ZRcXU9OPcH4ut4NRikfUQBMbE220mWxtxD91oqSfrWJlWlDoJDebI9fspa6b
qqjz+kc4PbSkCl8RfbFRwzoydxkLCtK8iH2aQrDdOFEnil+LHX2kSOrILdZDh1qM
APOieYXyog0=
=ECD+
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
March 16, 2005 4:12:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

boB wrote:
> Melissa, or anyone here in the States, you could be flying in no time
> at all. I'm not having much luck getting people flying I see but I
> keep trying.
>
> Here's some photos
>
> http://flightsims.vze.com/raf2000/
>

OK, now that I have the droll cleaned off the keyboard.
I've entertained the idea of a gyrobird or ultra-lite several times, but the
wife always makes a big show spreading the different insurance policies
across the dining room table, the IRA statements from the last 5 years
(arrggghhhhh!!!!!), and after I've ignored that long enough, she leaves
lawyers business cards laying around............

>
> Now the question. Does anyone know of any simulator gyrocopters
> available? I have the 4 from Hovercontrol but can't find more.

Good grief boB, you can only fly one at a time! I've only got 3 addon for
fixed wing... (210, 421, and Twotter)
I know many here download more than that before breakfast, but I'm easy to
please.. d:->))
March 16, 2005 6:52:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hey Bob
If you have X-Plane and all the specs of the gyrocopter, you can easily make
your own for x-plane.


"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
news:NwOZd.4790$8D.2297@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>
> I have a question.
>
> But first I must explain. It's a long explanation so anyone not wanting to
> read through this just scroll to the bottom where the question is.
>
> ================================================
> I had a dream. I say *had*, it's still possible, but not probable.
>
> Retiring from the Army after 25 years guarantees me a retirement check
> every month which is more than most people around here make working 40
> hours a week. BUT!!!!! ask any soldier and you will find there are NO 8
> hour days. Typical days for pilots were from 12 to 16 hours a day and we
> spent weeks in the field walking through mud or in the desert with sweat
> soaked flight suits. We simply did not have enough people to perform the
> missions. So I believe I earned my pension.
>
> Enough of that. I retired and some time later went to work for a Grand
> Canyon helicopter tour company and flew seasonally for 6 months. As my
> employment was nearing an end in October I was asked if I would consider
> working full time. I thought it over for a night and declined. I didn't
> need the money. I had 2 uncashed checks from the company in the center
> console of my Corvette which I hadn't bothered to cash, I was single and
> didn't need to work so I had enough money already.
>
> More "Enough of that"
>
> As I was working at the Canyon I discovered a neat little aircraft that I
> fell in love with. The RAF 2000 Gyrocopter (Rotary Air Force). (See web
> page below) I sent for the information and a video and it wasn't long
> before I called an airframe mechanic I knew at Ft Hood who agreed to help
> me build the Gyro.(Actually he was going to build it) I contacted a flight
> instructor in Pensacola FL to set up some instruction flights and evals.
> The little Gyro was perfect for me. Flew almost as fast as a a R22 and had
> a bit better range. A Suburu auto engine was the power plant and ran fine
> on regular auto gas. Another thing, landing on a country road beside a
> service station was easy to find and easy to do. You then secured the
> blade fore and aft and now you had a scooter to just pull into a service
> station for gas. If it's too dangerous to land on the road there are MANY
> small airstrips where you can set down and then putt putt to the service
> station. Put some brake lights on it and I think Alabama would register
> it as a trike motorcycle. It's a two seater so there was a lot of room for
> my baggage and I would be ready to fly around the country, anywhere I
> chose to go, I have friends everywhere. The cabin is enclosed and heated
> and rental cars are cheap. Sound good?
>
> The RAF web site is being re-built after hackers destroyed it but you can
> check later when it comes back up. They have a side by side comparison of
> the RAF2000 and a R22. The Gyro cannot hover of course but landing at 10
> to 15 MPH is pretty darn close. As for the other comparisons, The RAF was
> really close.
>
> ==============================================================
> RAF 2000
> Two-seat enclosed autogyro
> Engine: 130 hp EJ22 Subaru, Carb or FI
> Propeller:68” groundadjustable warpdrive 3-blade composite,
> 2.1:1 cog belt reduction
> Rotor Blades: 30’ X 8.5” RAF composite, aluminum spar
>
> Specifications:
> Min Speed 10-15 mph
> Cruise 70 mph
> Top Speed 100 mph
> Empty Weight 760 lbs
> Useful Load 575 lbs
> Width 5’
> Height 8’6”
> Length 13’6”
>
> Includes engine, instruments, prerotator, electric starter, cabin, drum
> brakes. 2000GTX also has rough field gear, wheel pants, other features.
> Info pkg. $12; Info pkg. and VHS video $28; Info pkg. and PAL video $40;
> construction manual and 9 video set (includes shipping within North
> America) $350
>
> Kits: RAF 2000 STD SE $20,615 (U.S.)
> RAF 2000 GTX SE FI $25,500 (U.S.)
>
>
> There are really good deals if a person searches. I've found great
> RAF2000s for $18,000 and less
>
>
> ========================================================
>
> Well then Gabriella entered my life. She was a tourist on my helicopter
> and somehow the chemistry was right. (on a one hour flight) So after I
> finished my employment I put the Gyro on hold and I packed up and went to
> Germany with her. In Germany I started getting some really bad pain in
> every joint but that's another story. It's the reason I probably won't fly
> anything again.
>
> But to the point finally.... I have talked about ultralights and how easy
> they are to fly. But there is a "Sport-Plane" license now that has some
> limitations but perfect for anyone liking to fly low and moderately fast
> cross-country flying in a RAF2000. It cruises faster than a TH-55
>
> Here are the requirements and a piper cub fits into the Sport Plane
> category:
>
> Sport Aircraft:
>
> * Maximum gross (loaded) weight: 1232lbs.
> * Minimum speed in landing configuration: 44mph (Vso)
> * Maximum cruise speed: 132 mph
> * Fixed landing gear (non retractable)
> * Maximum of one passenger in addition to the pilot
> * Daytime flight in good weather (day Visual Flight Rules - VFR)
>
>
> Sport Pilots:
>
> * Minimum flight training of 15 hours dual instruction and 5 hours of
> solo flight
> * Pass a written examination
> * Pass a practical (flight) examination
> * A current drivers license (replaces the private pilot medical
> certificate)
>
>
> =================================================================
>
> Here is an quote from this web page
>
> http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/content/2004/oct/sportp...
>
> One of the most important--and most debated—changes is that sport pilots
> will no longer be required to pass FAA medical examinations to fly a
> light-sport aircraft. The only medical requirement is that the pilot must
> be healthy enough to possess a common driver’s license.
>
>
> Student pilots who are beginning training will find the cost of getting a
> license significantly less expensive. The sport pilot requires a minimum
> of 20 hours--half the amount required for a private pilot’s license.
> According to FAA Administrator Marion Blakely, the average cost for a
> private pilot’s license is $9,000, while the estimated cost to become a
> sport pilot will be $2,600. Like private pilots, sport pilots will also be
> required to pass a written exam and pass a practical flight test with an
> FAA examiner or designee.
>
> Sport pilots, however, won't enjoy the same privileges of private pilots.
> They'll be restricted to day-VFR flight only. Pilots who intend to fly
> aircraft that will exceed 87 knots require some additional training. They
> must receive training and an endorsement to fly in Class B, C or D
> airspace, and they can’t go above 10,000 feet. There are no commercial
> operations allowed, and nothing can be towed behind the airplane.
> This new sport-pilot license privileges will extend over a variety of
> aircraft, including gliders, power parachutes, gyroplanes,
> weight-shift-control, airships and balloons. Aircraft that qualify under
> the new LSA are limited to one reciprocating engine, two seats, fixed
> landing gear, a fixed pitch propeller, a maximum stall speed of 45 knots
> and a max speed of 120 knots in level flight. Airplanes can't exceed a
> gross weight of 1,320 pounds or 1,430 pounds for seaplanes.
>
> While only a handful of currently certified aircraft can qualify as a
> light sport aircraft (Aeronca Chiefs and Champs, Piper Cubs, Luscombes and
> Taylorcraft and few others), the new ruling is expected to bring a gaggle
> of new airplanes to the market.
>
>
> One reason is the revolutionary shift for LSA aircraft certification
> process. Rather than going through the hugely expensive FAA type
> certification that's required of private aircraft for a normal category
> airworthiness certificate, the process will now adhere to industry
> consensus standards as put forward by the American Society for Testing and
> Materials (ASTM). This will allow the LSA manufacturers to certify
> aircraft much quicker and with less expense.
>
> Traditional kit planes regulations required that the owner and/or builder
> construct a minimum of 51% of the aircraft, which would take hundreds of
> hours of labor. The new sport experimental rules, on the other hand, only
> call for the builder to participate and sign off that he or she has played
> a part in making the aircraft airworthy. The builder also needs to attend
> formal training classes to earn a repairman’s certificate for minor
> maintenance, but the whole process is much less time-consuming than it has
> been in the past.
>
> =======================================================================
>
>
>
> Melissa, or anyone here in the States, you could be flying in no time at
> all. I'm not having much luck getting people flying I see but I keep
> trying.
>
>
> Here's some photos
>
> http://flightsims.vze.com/raf2000/
>
>
> Now the question. Does anyone know of any simulator gyrocopters available?
> I have the 4 from Hovercontrol but can't find more.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
>
> boB
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
> Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
>
March 16, 2005 6:52:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Goran wrote:

> Hey Bob
> If you have X-Plane and all the specs of the gyrocopter, you can easily make
> your own for x-plane.
>

Hi Goran,

I don't have it but thanks. I'm still searching, something will pop up. :) 
--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 8:11:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message news:qg31b0gafo6i$.dlg@uni-berlin.de...
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:59:05 -0800

Hi Melissa... Did you see those Super Cub video URLs posted about 9
months ago here? I swear you can take off and land on most flat
rooftops. There was one video that showed a Super Cub taking off
with just with 18 feet of runway. And with those huge wheels, I
don't expect them to have any problems on a beach either.






Cheers!


________________________________________________________
Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 8:11:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: RIPEMD160

Hi Bill,

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:11:23 GMT, you wrote:

> Did you see those Super Cub video URLs posted about 9 months ago
> here?

No, I don't remember seeing those. Do you still have the links?

There is a Piper Cub that flies over the beach pretty regularly, but I
don't know what version Cub it is. It does have nice big wheels
though, and I have seen it land on the beach a couple of times.

- --
Melissa

PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQCVAwUBQjhvYjEYqNTZBqoEAQMx1gQAna6f2/ogIAaZcm22droCpnaI6tm/yoqR
sId8+dPsLmM+1TbEntpnt9/po35gBpYpTPKNfoiJLxQ0vk9OIN50Kh1FzZ0ys8dt
fLHbgG64J30I6goqOJ1Z6YdshA8SWh9AZ8JpBC92pNUdw56yrDA6qSuVglbfuzIq
ba2ixB0ksKY=
=cqx+
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
March 16, 2005 8:11:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Lawn Dart wrote:
>
> No, I don't remember seeing those. Do you still have the links?
>

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm

This should keep you occupied for at least an hour.. d:->))
The super cub is near the bottom of the list.

I think one of m/s auto updates played with my system so that I have to
right click on the video link, copy shortcut, then manually paste that in
Media Player for 'open url'... Otherwise I keep getting a "plug in error on
this page" error when downloading for auto play. Damn - just started this
silliness!!

You'll Love the Super Cubby!! Has take off and landing videos..

Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
Don
March 16, 2005 10:55:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

CRaSH wrote:

> boB wrote:
>
>>Melissa, or anyone here in the States, you could be flying in no time
>>at all. I'm not having much luck getting people flying I see but I
>>keep trying.
>>
>>Here's some photos
>>
>>http://flightsims.vze.com/raf2000/
>>
>
>
> OK, now that I have the droll cleaned off the keyboard.
> I've entertained the idea of a gyrobird or ultra-lite several times, but the
> wife always makes a big show spreading the different insurance policies
> across the dining room table, the IRA statements from the last 5 years
> (arrggghhhhh!!!!!), and after I've ignored that long enough, she leaves
> lawyers business cards laying around............


I decided to get the Gyro instead of a small homebuilt helicopter
because it's easier to maintain AND I can land and drive it on a road
with the blades secured fore and aft.. IMO it's one safe aircraft and
there are many good deals out there. The reasons are different but
under-usage is one. They find they can't fly as much as they initially
thought, or (get this) the Spouse doesn't want to fly in it. For many
people, flying with someone is most of the fun. For me, the second seat
is a baggage compartment. :) 


--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
March 17, 2005 12:06:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Lawn Dart"
> http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/aviation/airports/Copalis.htm


"The airport is generally unusable at high tide since the runway is under
water. "

Oh, that would be a treat! You park your Cub at the airport, come back the
next day and... "Where's my airplane!".


Dallas
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 12:06:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Don't they come with an inflate a float option?????

Dallas wrote:
> "Lawn Dart"
>
>>http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/aviation/airports/Copalis.htm
>
>
>
> "The airport is generally unusable at high tide since the runway is under
> water. "
>
> Oh, that would be a treat! You park your Cub at the airport, come back the
> next day and... "Where's my airplane!".
>
>
> Dallas
>
>

--


Life is a toilet bowl...
With regular flushing it stays clean....
Linux user #251744...
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=user/register&r=26885
March 17, 2005 12:23:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"CRaSH"
> Good grief boB, you can only fly one at a time!

Why do you think they call him "Downloader boB"....


Dallas
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 12:50:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message news:e4vb3slqzkdr$.dlg@uni-berlin.de...
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:40:11 -0800

Hi Bill,

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:11:23 GMT, you wrote:

> Did you see those Super Cub video URLs posted about 9 months ago
> here?

No, I don't remember seeing those. Do you still have the
links?

Oh gosh... it isn't the same URL, but it is the same video. Thanks
to cheers and beers Don!

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/SuperC...

There is a Piper Cub that flies over the beach pretty
regularly, but I don't know what version Cub it is. It does
have nice big wheels though, and I have seen it land on the
beach a couple of times.

Oh gosh, I've flown Cessnas but I have never seen a real Super Cub
in my life. If this is what all Super Cubs are like, I'm sold after
watching this video!

I am a *big* helicopter fan since I can take off and land almost
anywhere. Really great for us bush pilots! But after seeing this
video about 9 months ago, I can honestly say the heck with
helicopters and this Super Cub is the way to go.






Cheers!


________________________________________________________
Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 12:50:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: RIPEMD160

Hi Bill,

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:50:54 GMT, you wrote:

> Oh gosh, I've flown Cessnas but I have never seen a real Super Cub
> in my life. If this is what all Super Cubs are like, I'm sold after
> watching this video!

If you like Cubs (I sure do! :-))...

Be sure to look at the cute little "Tiger Cub Ultralight" on this
page:

http://www.pipercubforum.com/

http://www.airbum.com/pireps/CubComparison.html

http://www.fepco.com/BF.chapter8.html

The link above is from this page:

http://www.fepco.com/Bush_Flying.html

http://www.blacktail-enterprises.com/cub.htm

Cubs are all over the net...just a bit of googling and you can see all
the Cubs you want! :-)

- --
Melissa

PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQCVAwUBQjixqzEYqNTZBqoEAQOkjQP/Q6JoFKzweqBXgYmRnP5j08zFJJtQkii4
9a1ER1/mUyMNC9/qPQ0voJWvsCc2SBnez0kobYPUFYoyo0dzjPPYmCKVFFxeIyBS
k+i3KY8YDlRVQouu7YWLEDlbpKQA0dA7imJDPhzxxmjmnNIBuk8OO/HKshCpzl33
yNRgM6yLXvE=
=eJqi
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
March 17, 2005 12:50:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Lawn Dart wrote:
>
> Be sure to look at the cute little "Tiger Cub Ultralight" on this
> page:
>

Cute? CUTE? She's gorgeous!!
Thanks Mel, I needed something else to fantasize over........
d:->))
March 17, 2005 2:01:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Lawn Dart wrote:

> If you like Cubs (I sure do! :-))...
>
> Be sure to look at the cute little "Tiger Cub Ultralight" on this
> page:
>
> http://www.pipercubforum.com/
>
> http://www.airbum.com/pireps/CubComparison.html
>
> http://www.fepco.com/BF.chapter8.html
>
> The link above is from this page:
>
> http://www.fepco.com/Bush_Flying.html
>
> http://www.blacktail-enterprises.com/cub.htm
>
> Cubs are all over the net...just a bit of googling and you can see all
> the Cubs you want! :-)
>
> - --
> Melissa

Melissa

Here are some more Ultralight/Sport aircraft that you could be landing
for real into your favorite grass strips although I still prefer the
Gyro/Helo aircraft.. I don't know if you can land in the crater though.

http://xs20.xs.to/pics/05113/bush-acft.jpg

I put up a web page back in '97 with a lot of ultralight information. It
has one page where I listed all the ultralight/microlight aircraft. The
page is 8 years old now and I don't update it. But you can see on the
aircraft page that there are many different aircraft to choose.

I also put a friend who does ultralight training out of the same field I
flew from.

List of ultralight and sport aircraft
http://members.tripod.com/~DragonFlight/3drpic2.html

List of rotorcraft
http://members.tripod.com/~DragonFlight/3drac03.html


--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
March 17, 2005 4:20:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

CRaSH wrote:

> Lawn Dart wrote:
>
>>Be sure to look at the cute little "Tiger Cub Ultralight" on this
>>page:
>>
>
>
> Cute? CUTE? She's gorgeous!!
> Thanks Mel, I needed something else to fantasize over........
> d:->))
>
>

CRaSH, You can fly that Tiger just like Sprite.

Melissa, I am doing touch and goes on your beach (S16) and right now the
wind is 140 degrees at 32 Knots. My Rans 6 is hovering there pointing
into the wind.

The scenery there is featureless but I can see the mountains in the
distance. Do you have any add-on scenery around S16?

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 4:20:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: RIPEMD160

Hi boB,

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:20:19 GMT, you wrote:

> Melissa, I am doing touch and goes on your beach (S16) and right now
> the wind is 140 degrees at 32 Knots. My Rans 6 is hovering there
> pointing into the wind.

Yes, we've been enjoying a bit of a breeze today...it's lovely! :-)

> The scenery there is featureless but I can see the mountains in the
> distance. Do you have any add-on scenery around S16?

Soon I'll be ordering the MegaScenery Pacific Northwest, but before
this scenery came to be, I haven't been able to find any enhanced
scenery for this little corner of the planet. It actually is quite
beautiful here in "real life 3D"! :-)

By next week I should have my new CPU/RAM/video card installed, and at
that point, I'll be installing the MegaScenery PNW, so lets hope this
area will look at least a little bit better in the sim! :-)

- --
Melissa

PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQCVAwUBQjj7ljEYqNTZBqoEAQM/NQQAgX5+Q1IBFhZJOVWSCdsRuVbBNVBui83i
Gwgtw+7o8PkvJuUydbOn8Zv29vxZlbs61V8syLQ3rE9WyPVSJjbCuMNCqrd/fvd2
w7pZQVkNzMwvirJBLvLmKhI4gYtNRHSioaWp3E+PDqCGopvywixn2Q4LcpPlwlDT
RnES1hB35rU=
=FqgT
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 7:15:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Yeap, those Super Cubs are really amazing machines! And with those
tundra tires, just makes my mouth water. As you can take off and
land just about anywhere. And thus airports are too highly rated as
far as I am concern. As *real pilots* don't need airports! <grin>






Cheers!


________________________________________________________
Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0




"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message news:3jokus6kzkqi$.dlg@uni-berlin.de...
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:22:43 -0800
Hi Bill,

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:50:54 GMT, you wrote:

> Oh gosh, I've flown Cessnas but I have never seen a real Super Cub
> in my life. If this is what all Super Cubs are like, I'm sold after
> watching this video!

If you like Cubs (I sure do! :-))...

Be sure to look at the cute little "Tiger Cub Ultralight" on this
page:

http://www.pipercubforum.com/

http://www.airbum.com/pireps/CubComparison.html

http://www.fepco.com/BF.chapter8.html

The link above is from this page:

http://www.fepco.com/Bush_Flying.html

http://www.blacktail-enterprises.com/cub.htm

Cubs are all over the net...just a bit of googling and you can see all
the Cubs you want! :-)

- --
Melissa
March 17, 2005 7:29:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Lawn Dart wrote:

>
> By next week I should have my new CPU/RAM/video card installed, and at
> that point, I'll be installing the MegaScenery PNW, so lets hope this
> area will look at least a little bit better in the sim! :-)
>
> - --
> Melissa

It'll be good to see the difference. I flew the piper cub from S16 to
the mountains and without thinking I killed the engine. I do that
sometimes. :)  anyway I turned to land on the road on the way to the
lake and landed on an upslope part of the road. It was a good landing
and of course I did an instant re-play and took pictures but I'm sure
everyone believes me so I won't post them. :) 

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 8:54:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Don't know if you are still looking for gyros, but there is a Kellet
autogyro in Bill Lyons' "Golden Hawaii" package
http://windrfters.com/GoldenHawaii.htm

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 4:19:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message news:_Z-dndhbv4tOrqTfRVn-3g@giganews.com...
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:37:55 -0600

Wow, that brings back some memories.

I used to be very heavy into RC planes. Many aspects of it, but
the latter years were devoted to competition Pattern flying.
During the summer months, I was going to a contest somewhere at
least once a month, and when not was at the field burning about
a gallon of fuel practicing. Even went and competed in the AMA
Nationals one year.

Long time ago....

How long ago was that Don? I used watch my Father & Grandfather back
in the 60's (although they were flying earlier than that). They quit
just before the 70's. My Father had taken it back up again about 8
years ago and he got me flying now.

Although my two electric planes were stolen about two weeks ago from
my van. I can't prove it, but I believe it was one of my neighbors.
Nice guy, eh? I wonder if he wants the batteries I have for them up
in the house?






Cheers!


________________________________________________________
Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
March 18, 2005 5:16:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

BillW50 wrote:


>
> Although my two electric planes were stolen about two weeks ago from
> my van. I can't prove it, but I believe it was one of my neighbors.
> Nice guy, eh? I wonder if he wants the batteries I have for them up
> in the house?
>
>


Jeeeesh Bill. I hope you can bust the guy. Do a bit of searching in the
pawn shops around town.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:46:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message news:4Sq_d.9485$Ux.7284@tornado.texas.rr.com...
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 02:16:32 GMT

BillW50 wrote:

> Although my two electric planes were stolen about two weeks ago from
> my van. I can't prove it, but I believe it was one of my neighbors.
> Nice guy, eh? I wonder if he wants the batteries I have for them up
> in the house?

Jeeeesh Bill. I hope you can bust the guy. Do a bit of
searching in the pawn shops around town.

Well I saw him checking out my planes in my van about two weeks
earlier (he didn't know I was watching him). That is why I believe
it was him. I had tools and other expansive stuff in there and he
only had taken my old electric planes. Weird!

I have a car alarm, but he somehow slid the passenger window down
and the crank won't work the window anymore. I like to know how he
did that? Anyway he went through the window and that is why the
alarm never went off. As one of my doors had to open before that
would happen.

I thought about knocking on his door and handing him the batteries
and telling him that if he wants to fly them, he'll need them. Then
walk away. That way he would then know that I know. And then he'll
be scared forever wondering what I'll do next. <grin>






Cheers!


________________________________________________________
Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
March 18, 2005 7:51:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I had this one on my old hard disk:

Avsim: Ugyro2.zip

It's very simple but as I recall, flew pretty well.

Dallas
March 18, 2005 9:42:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Dallas"
> Avsim: Ugyro2.zip

Correction: Abort~ on that... I just tested it in FS9 and it's a mess...
won't run.

But now you got me going on Gyrocopters... So I went to Hovercontrol and
could not find any. What should I get and where should I get it?


Dallas
March 18, 2005 10:05:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dallas wrote:
> "Dallas"
>
>>Avsim: Ugyro2.zip
>
>
> Correction: Abort~ on that... I just tested it in FS9 and it's a mess...
> won't run.
>
> But now you got me going on Gyrocopters... So I went to Hovercontrol and
> could not find any. What should I get and where should I get it?
>
>
> Dallas
>
>
AAAAKKKKKKK Let me look

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
March 18, 2005 10:30:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dallas wrote:

> "Dallas"
>
>>Avsim: Ugyro2.zip
>
>
> Correction: Abort~ on that... I just tested it in FS9 and it's a mess...
> won't run.
>
> But now you got me going on Gyrocopters... So I went to Hovercontrol and
> could not find any. What should I get and where should I get it?
>
>
> Dallas
>
>



Hovercontrol search "gyro" comes up with several variations of an
X-Gyro which I don't care for.

Then at AVSIM is Little Nelli, the James Bond Gyro.
autogyro.zip
for FS2002 but flys in FS9. there is an update for the CFG files but I
haven't loaded them yet.

I also found a "Homebuilt" Gyro for FS2002 that flys very well in FS9
but the main rotor doesn't move.

I can't find a 2 place enclosed Gyro anywhere though.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
March 19, 2005 7:18:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"boB"
> Then at AVSIM is Little Nelli, the James Bond Gyro.
> autogyro.zip

I saw a program on the creator of the Little Nellie gyrocopter, a very
interesting guy:

"Ken Wallis who designed and built Little Nellie is an inventor, engineer,
marksman, armaments expert, model maker, photographer, WWII RAF pilot and
RB-36 pilot with Strategic Air Command. Ken has set a total of 34 world
records since 1968 and still holds 16. "

He tried to sell his gyrocopters to the military and coast guard etc.. but
never made any headway. So now he just flies them around his backyard and
at air shows and has a blast with them.

Dallas
March 20, 2005 12:07:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dallas wrote:


>
> I saw a program on the creator of the Little Nellie gyrocopter, a very
> interesting guy:


I saw the same program. He was an interesting guy.


>
> He tried to sell his gyrocopters to the military and coast guard etc.. but
> never made any headway. So now he just flies them around his backyard and
> at air shows and has a blast with them.
>
> Dallas
>
>

As would anyone. I don't know what the Army would do with them but if a
use were found it would probably require one of the bare, open to the
air, gyros. Anyone could learn to fly one in just w a few hours, it
would be the flying PLUS the shooting of M-16/grenade launcher that
would take some practice.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
March 20, 2005 2:45:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"boB"
> would be the flying PLUS the shooting of M-16/grenade launcher that
> would take some practice.

Yeah, I'd need some practice on the M-16 but I'm ready to go on the 81mm
mortar. :-)

Dallas
March 20, 2005 2:45:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dallas wrote:
> Yeah, I'd need some practice on the M-16 but I'm ready to go on the
> 81mm mortar. :-)
>

Wal Mart is always out of the 81mm lately, so really hard to practice
without the munitions..........
March 20, 2005 9:19:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"CRaSH"
> Wal Mart is always out of the 81mm lately, so really hard to practice
> without the munitions..........

I have 34 cases in my fall out shelter... wanna buy a couple?

<G>

Dalli

(note to FBI and ATF spooks.... IT'S A JOKE!)
March 20, 2005 9:38:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dallas wrote:

> "CRaSH"
>
>>Wal Mart is always out of the 81mm lately, so really hard to practice
>>without the muni1i0ns..........
>
>
> I have 34 cases in my fall out shelter... wanna buy a couple?
>
> <G>
>
> Dalli
>
> (note to FBI and ATF spooks.... IT'S A JOKE!)
>
>

Yep, that "muniti0n" word is a red flag.

--

I'm not boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
March 20, 2005 9:45:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"boB"
> Yep, that "muniti0n" word is a red flag.

Ha! Munging "muniti0n" is probably even more of a red flag to the NSA
computers.

Dallas
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 9:07:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

BillW50 wrote:
> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:_Z-dndhbv4tOrqTfRVn-3g@giganews.com...
> Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:37:55 -0600
>
> Wow, that brings back some memories.
>
> I used to be very heavy into RC planes. Many aspects of it, but
> the latter years were devoted to competition Pattern flying.
> During the summer months, I was going to a contest somewhere at
> least once a month, and when not was at the field burning about
> a gallon of fuel practicing. Even went and competed in the AMA
> Nationals one year.
>
> Long time ago....
>
> How long ago was that Don? I used watch my Father & Grandfather back
> in the 60's (although they were flying earlier than that). They quit
> just before the 70's. My Father had taken it back up again about 8
> years ago and he got me flying now.
>
> Although my two electric planes were stolen about two weeks ago from
> my van. I can't prove it, but I believe it was one of my neighbors.
> Nice guy, eh? I wonder if he wants the batteries I have for them up
> in the house?
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Cheers!
>
>
> ________________________________________________________
> Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
> -- written and edited within WordStar 5.0


Hmmm, let's see.

I started flying RC around 1980, and ended probably around 1993...



--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 3:41:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:lLWdnYUvS4mnjaPfRVn-rQ@giganews.com...
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:07:28 -0600

Hmmm, let's see.

I started flying RC around 1980, and ended probably around 1993...

Oh that is great Don! I wish I started earlier myself. Although about
just the time you had quit, the FCC changed the bandwidth of the
transmitters. So if you still have any, I believe they are illegal to
use now.

Don't lose your AMA number. As I believe you can still apply to get your
older low number back if you ever apply again. My Father didn't bother
and he got a new AMA number. They started at 1 and went up for every new
member. Right now the numbers are over 50,000. I bet he had a real low
number back in the 50's.


Cheers!


______________________________________________
Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 3:41:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

BillW50 wrote:
> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:lLWdnYUvS4mnjaPfRVn-rQ@giganews.com...
> Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:07:28 -0600
>
> Hmmm, let's see.
>
> I started flying RC around 1980, and ended probably around
> 1993...
>
> Oh that is great Don! I wish I started earlier myself. Although about
> just the time you had quit, the FCC changed the bandwidth of the
> transmitters. So if you still have any, I believe they are illegal to
> use now.
>
> Don't lose your AMA number. As I believe you can still apply to get
> your older low number back if you ever apply again. My Father didn't
> bother and he got a new AMA number. They started at 1 and went up for
> every new member. Right now the numbers are over 50,000. I bet he had
> a real low number back in the 50's.
>
>
> Cheers!
>
>
> ______________________________________________
> Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
> -- written and edited within Word 2000

Interesting, never thought that about my AMA number.

If I recall, mine was 38408, or something like that.

I ended up donating all my planes and equipment to the local flying club, I
understand it at least got some good use for some folks that wanted to fly
but could not afford all the expense really get into it like they wanted to.

I had some really good times with the hobby though.

Now though, flight sims on the pc serve me well, plus I don't have to pack
up and go to the field for the day :) ...







--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 5:09:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:c6CdnXyyOdIDvKPfRVn-gQ@giganews.com...
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:21:40 -0600

Interesting, never thought that about my AMA number.

If I recall, mine was 38408, or something like that.

Oh that is a nice number and don't forget it. Mine is just a few years
old and it's just over 50000.

I ended up donating all my planes and equipment to the local flying
club, I understand it at least got some good use for some folks
that wanted to fly but could not afford all the expense really get
into it like they wanted to.

That is really nice Don! As I'm sure there are many who want to get into
the hobby, but just can't afford it. My Father sold everything except
his favorite plane from the 60's. He still has it. And I asked him why
it doesn't fly it today? He stated it has too much sentimental value to
risk it. Plus the glue and the wood is probably not air worthy anymore.
It is a really nice looking plane though. As it looks modern even though
it is from the 60's. Kind of looks like the Extra 300S.

I had some really good times with the hobby though.

Oh me too. And I still do. I only owned one gas airplane and it hasn't
crashed yet. Which is a rarity I guess. Too bad I can't say the same for
my electrics and gas helicopter. Although my gas airplane is now getting
pretty old and I should just replace it. As the wood and the glue is
getting pretty weak nowadays. As after this next season, I don't think I
should fly it anymore no matter what happens.

Now though, flight sims on the pc serve me well, plus I don't have
to pack up and go to the field for the day :) ...

Oh yeah what a pain! What a lot of equipment you need to carry with you.
Then there is all of that gas and oil all over the place. I'm surprised
that the EPA never closed down any RC fields yet (as far as I know). I
guess they have bigger stuff to worry about.

Instead we can fly on simulators! What a pain not, eh? While simulators
isn't quite as good as the real thing (MS FS and RealFlight G2 [a RC
simulator] included). But it is very close without all of the fuss.
<grin>


Cheers!


______________________________________________
Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000
!