Larger secondary hard

My .ini file is on the C:\
I have two hard drives on my XP Pro and each hard drive has Documents and
settings and Program files, can these make my computer boot or not boot? If
I disconnect my secondary hard drive the
computer won't boot. What can I do in order to get a larger secondary hard
drive on my computer?
Richard

tonys

Richard Miller wrote:
: My .ini file is on the C:\
Boot Partition most likely.
: I have two hard drives on my XP Pro and each hard drive has Documents
: and settings and Program files, can these make my computer boot or
: not boot?
Computer boots to partition where XPpro is installed.
: If I disconnect my secondary hard drive the
: computer won't boot.
XPpro is most likely installed on that drive.
:What can I do in order to get a larger secondary
: hard drive on my computer?
All space on both drives can be used. How much do you have and how much
do you want?
TonyS
: Richard

XP pro is installed on both drives, but I have to take the secondary drive
out. I know that there are many ways to do this, but I want to do it the
safest way without eating up hours of my time and without re installing a
bunch of programs. Do you have any suggestions.

Thanks
Richard

"TonyS" <t0ny2t0ne@ATT.not> wrote in message
> Richard Miller wrote:
> : My .ini file is on the C:\
> Boot Partition most likely.
> : I have two hard drives on my XP Pro and each hard drive has Documents
> : and settings and Program files, can these make my computer boot or
> : not boot?
> Computer boots to partition where XPpro is installed.
> : If I disconnect my secondary hard drive the
> : computer won't boot.
> XPpro is most likely installed on that drive.
> :What can I do in order to get a larger secondary
> : hard drive on my computer?
> All space on both drives can be used. How much do you have and how much
> do you want?
> TonyS
> : Richard

Hi, Richard.

No matter how many HDs you have, or how many partitions, the boot process
always starts with the first physical sector on the first HD (unless the
BIOS is set to boot from a different device). The computer BIOS reads the
partition table from this sector and finds the boot sector of the "system
partition", almost always the first primary partition on the first HD, which
is almost always Drive C:. The boot sector looks for the file C:\NTLDR,
which finds C:\boot.ini and C:\NTDETECT.COM. Using the signposts in
C:\boot.ini, NTLDR finds WinXP, no matter where it is. It can be on just
about any partition on just about any HD in your computer. To this point,
WinXP has not even started to load, so the \Documents and Settings folder
has nothing to do with the boot process so far, although it does come into
play soon after Windows loads.

Please tell us how many HDs you have and how they are partitioned. How many
copies of WinXP are installed, and on which partitions? Are you using only
the native dual-boot setup, or have you used a third-party product, such as
Boot Magic or BootIT.NG?

Please post the contents of your C:\boot.ini. (You may have a dozen
boot.ini files scattered around your computer, but only the one in C:\
matters.) Boot.ini is a simple text file, seldom longer than 1 KB, but it
is typically Hidden, System and Read-only, so you may have to remove those
attributes. Then, in OE, click Tools | Insert text from file..., and browse
to C:\boot.ini to copy the text into your next post.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Richard Miller" <miller57@cox.net> wrote in message
> My .ini file is on the C:\
> I have two hard drives on my XP Pro and each hard drive has Documents and
> settings and Program files, can these make my computer boot or not boot?
> If
> I disconnect my secondary hard drive the
> computer won't boot. What can I do in order to get a larger secondary hard
> drive on my computer?
> Richard

tonys

Richard Miller wrote:
: XP pro is installed on both drives, but I have to take the secondary
: drive out. I know that there are many ways to do this, but I want to
: do it the safest way without eating up hours of my time and without
: re installing a bunch of programs. Do you have any suggestions.
:
: Thanks
: Richard
:
Not sure I follow but if the drive has an OS installed and is the only
HD, check that it is set to Master and it should boot. Check BIOS for
device recognition and boot order. Check cable connection. Good Luck
TonyS
:
: "TonyS" <t0ny2t0ne@ATT.not> wrote in message
: news:UTMTc.611$SR4.595@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...