Is my system Windows Vista ready?

JoshuaH

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I cant seem to get a good answer when I look for the system requirments for Windows Vista. Some say p4 3ghz with 2 gig ram and pcie gfx card.

My computer is an Athlon XP 1800 overclocked at 2.1ghz 786mb DDR333 ram and GeForce4MX440 64meg AGP4x graphics. Would it be capable of running vista at an exceptable speed? or would it be like Windows 98 on a 486?

Has anyone tried the beta versions? if you have what were your system specs and how did it perform with vista?

Mills

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
I'm fairly confident that whoever told you that was feeding you some bs. There is absolutly no way they have those kind of requirements for a OS.

I'm guessing it will be a small increase from the XP requirements.

RichPLS

Champion
From MS
Minimum system requirements will not be known until summer 2006 at the earliest. However, these guidelines provide useful estimates:

• 512 megabytes (MB) or more of RAM

• A dedicated graphics card with DirectX® 9.0 support

• A modern, Intel Pentium- or AMD Athlon-based PC.

kumana1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
when vista first came out i installed it on my sony vaio laptop:

pentium m (1.6)
512mb ram
intel chipset video
60gb hdd

vista was a bit sluggish when loading into windows and opening apps. i believe that my lack of ram was the cause for this though. all-in-all you should have no problem running vista.

shadowspank

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
There is alot more information on the microsoft site that people know about here are some links you can take a look at I think your cpu might be on the low end. Your video card I would upgrade if it was myself theres going to be a lot of HD stuff in the new OS. Thats just my two cents here is the links

This link is to the hardware information needed to run Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/hardware/vistarpc.mspx

Here is a link to the NVIDIA site that shows all the cards that will support Vista. I took a quick look at the site for you I was unable to see your video card listed nothing below a 5 serise was listed on the site. This goes to show you might need at least a agp8x 128bit video card that you dont have but here is the link so you can look for your self.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/technology_vista_home.html

sorry if this upsets you just want you to get ready before it comes out :) good luck.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sounds like a typical misinformation campaign to steal your hard-earned money. To begin with, it wont' matter if you have an AGP graphics card or a PCIe graphics card. In fact several ONBOARD graphics solutions are already listed compatable through the beta program.

But you do need DX9 capable graphics to get all the wiz-bang graphical features of the new interface. Nearly anything will do. Of course I suspect you're not willing to settle for "nearly anything"...so I'd suggest a Radeon 9550 with 128-bit memory interface.