Blocked by web site

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Here's my problem: I have written a program that uses preset options to
determine when a particular item goes on sale on a web site. I do this by
checking for particular HTML fields in the page returned. I want to be able
to tapidly send requests to the web site but if I send more that two
requests within a one minute period, the site blocks me for five minutes.
Two questions then:
1. How are they identifying me?
2. How can I defeat the block?

Thanks...Jim

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

In article <eGeDCIeSEHA.1544@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
Jim Nicholson <jim_nicholson@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Here's my problem: I have written a program that uses preset options to
>determine when a particular item goes on sale on a web site. I do this by
>checking for particular HTML fields in the page returned. I want to be able
>to tapidly send requests to the web site but if I send more that two
>requests within a one minute period, the site blocks me for five minutes.
>Two questions then:
>1. How are they identifying me?

First guess would be by IP address.

>2. How can I defeat the block?

Don't send requests more often than one every 30 seconds.

--
-- Rod --
rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

I knda guessed the answer to the first one, but your answer to the second
question is not an answer. I want to be able to send many requests without
being blocked!

"Rod Dorman" <rodd@panix.com> wrote in message
> In article <eGeDCIeSEHA.1544@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
> Jim Nicholson <jim_nicholson@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Here's my problem: I have written a program that uses preset options to
> >determine when a particular item goes on sale on a web site. I do this by
> >checking for particular HTML fields in the page returned. I want to be
able
> >to tapidly send requests to the web site but if I send more that two
> >requests within a one minute period, the site blocks me for five minutes.
> >Two questions then:
> >1. How are they identifying me?
>
> First guess would be by IP address.
>
> >2. How can I defeat the block?
>
> Don't send requests more often than one every 30 seconds.
>
> --
> -- Rod --
> rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

I kinda guessed the answer to the first one, but your answer to the second

In article <ePPK5gpTEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
Jim Nicholson <jim_nicholson@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I kinda guessed the answer to the first one, but your answer to the second
>question is not an answer. I want to be able to send many requests without
>being blocked!

So use different IP addresses and don't reuse an IP address more often
than once every 30 seconds.
--
-- Rod --
rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com