Radeon x800Pro VIVO

Techie22

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I downloaded atitool .25, and I also have ati tray tools. A friend of mine has the same card that I do, and he said that he got an extra 4 pipes (12 to 16) by overclocking with atitool. Does anyone know how to do this? Is it risky? Would I need to purchase a new fan?

Ryan

Techie22

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
my understanding, the atitool is for overclocking the card, pipe unlocking has to be done with a bios flash and/or hardware mod on older cards.

how do you flash the bios? I am new at overclocking. My other question was is this safe to do under temps of 30-40C?

navysealbrian

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
This site will be useful for you.
And no, you don't need a new fan unless you are over clocking, or using a XT BIOS, which will automatically overclock to stock XT speeds.
I tried it on my NON-VIVO, I was semi-successful. It had 16 pipelines before I installed the drivers and Catalyst, then it went back to 12 pipelines. Since you have a VIVO, you should have no problem.

Techie22

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I read that article, but I had a few questions. Does that also work with the pci-express version of the card? Would my temps be ok? When its 65 F in my room, and I put the graphics card fan on 100%, it runs around 50C. Would unlocking the xt stuff make it run too hot? And I have an Abit BIOS. If I wanted to do it, could I flash with the gigabyte bios without problems?

navysealbrian

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Well, you would make a back up copy of your original BIOS, then go to the X800 XT temporarily to unlock the pipes, and then you can reload the origianl BIOS and you will have a plain X800 Pro VIVO but with 16 pipelines.

I read that article, but I had a few questions. Does that also work with the pci-express version of the card? Would my temps be ok? When its 65 F in my room, and I put the graphics card fan on 100%, it runs around 50C. Would unlocking the xt stuff make it run too hot? And I have an Abit BIOS. If I wanted to do it, could I flash with the gigabyte bios without problems?

You would need to choose a BIOS flash that is designated PCI-E, they are clearly labled, also it only successfully works with the VIVO cards, its very important to use ATI Tool and make a backup of your BIOS before you even consider flashing your video card.

Make sure you fully understand what you're doing and getting yourself into before you even attempt to do anything, its best to use ATI tool and see what your Core/Mem stable settings are before you decide which BIOS to flash with, I flashed my X850 Pro to X850 Pro XT PE and successfully opened the other 4 pipelines, but I'm also water cooling, if you're going to stay aircooling flash with a BIOS that your card can comfortably handle with air cooling.

Note: When you open the additional 4 pipelines the card temp will increase, you can monitor it with ATI Tool, obviously the cooler the GPU the longer it will last you, I don't actually know the kill temp of the GPU but I would say 50c max would comfortably still be in the safe zone and if it goes over that under load I would get concerned.

As long as you've made a backup of your original BIOS using ATI Tool you can reflash back if something doesn't go right, but you would need your original BIOS .bin file and the modified Flashrom on the BIOS restore floppy disk.

As I've already warned you, fully educate yourself on this process before you actually do it, since I've successfully flashed mine, feel free to PM me if you don't get all your questions answered from the article.

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/100

http://www.techpowerup.com/bios/

mrbaron

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I have an x850 pro pci-x (powercolour) and tried to unlock the xtra 4 pipelines. Be very carefull to only overclock to XT settings, as the XTPE fan settings are in a different place in some bioses. Your fan may turn off after flashing. my flash was successfull but I have an on-die-lock (you can check this out on techpowerup) and no amount of softmodding will allow me to get those xtra 4 pipes.
So ive just stuck to overclocking and am running 580/620 stable with arctic silencer :D

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
You could save yourself the trouble of finding a compatible bios by modifying a copy of your current one. This link has instructions on how to do it:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=8060

It is really easy to modify the bios. Just one bit needs to be changed. I did it on my AGP Sapphire X800GTO even though a lot of people say that it can't be done to my card.

This link will tell you if you can unlock the 4 pipes:
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/127
The article is for X800GTOs but I think it should be valid for the pro as well.