Canon MP730 Discontinued?

Has the Canon MP730 AIO been discontinued? It seems it has become very
difficult to find.

Don
17 answers Last reply
More about canon mp730 discontinued

    In article <MPG.1bdf6c31b124bdaf989686@netnews.insightbb.com>, Don
    <w9cw<nospam>@yahoo.com> says...
    > Has the Canon MP730 AIO been discontinued? It seems it has become very
    > difficult to find.
    >
    > Don

    I e-mailed Canon's support group on this, and (unbelievably) received a
    reply in less than 30 minutes! Yes, the MP730 has been discontinued;
    the Pixma MP780 is its replacment.

    I answered my own question!

    Don

    Hello,

    I purchased a MP730 Photo yesterday and had issue with the
    Installshield engine that is not updated for the SP2. Installshield
    says that Canon must updatehis software and the Canon support seems
    not willing to do so... Now I understand why ! However, It is a pity
    that Canon didn't clearly told me the issue and proposed me another
    tool ! What is there on the market that could match the same kind of
    tool ?

    Laure

    "Laure" <LAURE.DEMERY@WANADOO.FR> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I purchased a MP730 Photo yesterday and had issue with the
    > Installshield engine that is not updated for the SP2. Installshield
    > says that Canon must updatehis software and the Canon support seems
    > not willing to do so... Now I understand why ! However, It is a pity
    > that Canon didn't clearly told me the issue and proposed me another
    > tool ! What is there on the market that could match the same kind of
    > tool ?

    I am not sure who gave you this information, but using one every day I can
    assure you that the MP730 works just fine in XP-SP2.
    What sort of problem are you having?

    Have the 2 x MP730 here in Australia and like it. I have for document
    scanning and office printing with the very occasional photo. Good
    reliable twain compliant scanner with excellent Automatic document
    feed.

    Have hooked the black tank up to a continuous ink feed system.

    Negatives
    1. No PC fax receiving software - an oversight if you are into
    electronic documents.

    2. There is a clear piece of plastic called "document sheet guide"
    which goes over the scanning window under the lid where the sheets
    pass over the scanner head from the document feeder. This clear
    plastic sheet scratches easily and thus leaves lines on scanned
    documents and outgoing faxes. Had to replace 3 to date @$3.20 each in
    two different machines. Is this regarded as a consumable or is it
    covered under warranty? Canon say I have to take the whole printer in
    to have them look at it! Anyone else had this problem?

    "ocular" <ocular@powerup.com-dot-au.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Have the 2 x MP730 here in Australia and like it. I have for document
    > scanning and office printing with the very occasional photo. Good
    > reliable twain compliant scanner with excellent Automatic document
    > feed.
    >
    > Have hooked the black tank up to a continuous ink feed system.
    >
    > Negatives
    > 1. No PC fax receiving software - an oversight if you are into
    > electronic documents.
    >
    > 2. There is a clear piece of plastic called "document sheet guide"
    > which goes over the scanning window under the lid where the sheets
    > pass over the scanner head from the document feeder. This clear
    > plastic sheet scratches easily and thus leaves lines on scanned
    > documents and outgoing faxes. Had to replace 3 to date @$3.20 each in
    > two different machines. Is this regarded as a consumable or is it
    > covered under warranty? Canon say I have to take the whole printer in
    > to have them look at it! Anyone else had this problem?

    The Document Guide is a part and not a consumable and here in the U.S.
    anyway they will simply send it out to you.

    Funny, I just had the same problem last night with that same thin plastic
    removable sheet causing a vertical line to appear on all scanned documents
    that passed thru the automatic sheet feeder. I was informed by a Canon
    Technician to simply remove that sheet assembly and lightly clean it with a
    moist tissue. I used a common window cleaner called Windex and it worked
    well. He also said that if it would not clear the problem after such a
    simple cleaning that he would send me a replacement part at no cost under my
    warranty.

    "coinman1" <coinman1@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > Funny, I just had the same problem last night with that same thin plastic
    > removable sheet causing a vertical line to appear on all scanned documents
    > that passed thru the automatic sheet feeder. I was informed by a Canon
    > Technician to simply remove that sheet assembly and lightly clean it with
    > a moist tissue. I used a common window cleaner called Windex and it worked
    > well. He also said that if it would not clear the problem after such a
    > simple cleaning that he would send me a replacement part at no cost under
    > my warranty.

    Why is that funny?

    Don <w9cw<nospam>@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1bdf6c31b124bdaf989686@netnews.insightbb.com>...
    > Has the Canon MP730 AIO been discontinued? It seems it has become very
    > difficult to find.
    >
    > Don

    I just bought a Brand New Canon MP730. It is a pretty awesome machine.
    Unfortunately I don't need all of the functions that it has and maybe
    overbought for my needs. The print engine is the same as the Canon
    i850. If anyone is interested in buying a 3 day old MP730 let me know.

    > The Document Guide is a part and not a consumable and here in the
    U.S.
    > anyway they will simply send it out to you.

    So what happens when the machine is out of warranty- will Canon keep
    sending replacements. I see this as a design fault with inadequate
    R&D.
    Has this problem been fixed on the replacement model MP780?

    Anyone tried the MP780?

    Can anyone tell me if the MP730 and MP780 are the same physical
    dimensions ?

    Also is there any advantage in going to 5 tanks as in the MP780? The
    colours M/Y/C are photo quality as well as a photoblack (the extra
    cartridge).

    This would seem not a great advantage in (my) office situation photo
    stuff is rarely used. Is there any noticeable improvement in photo
    print outs in the MP780? The MP730 has exceptionally good quality
    photo prints as is with ordinary M/Y/C.

    The extra bin feed with duplex printing seems a good idea.

    Is the Scanning process any faster on the MP780 with now a USB 2.0
    interface?

    Shame Canon haven't included a network ability or PC fax receiving
    feature and then they would have a truly all in one that could blitz
    the market.

    >> The Document Guide is a part and not a consumable and here in the
    > U.S.
    >> anyway they will simply send it out to you.
    >
    > So what happens when the machine is out of warranty- will Canon keep
    > sending replacements. I see this as a design fault with inadequate
    > R&D.
    > Has this problem been fixed on the replacement model MP780?

    Not a design flaw (It can only get scratched by handling or feeding other
    than ideal documents such as those with staples in them or heavy stock) and
    have seen similar feeds on all manufactures over the years.
    But to answer your question it is available out of warranty (at your cost),
    and MP780 uses a different design which eliminates the need for the guide.

    > Anyone tried the MP780?

    We got one at the office this week replacing an F50.
    Excellent machine and built like a tank.

    > Can anyone tell me if the MP730 and MP780 are the same physical
    > dimensions ?

    Should be available in the specs on Canon's site.

    > Also is there any advantage in going to 5 tanks as in the MP780? The
    > colours M/Y/C are photo quality as well as a photoblack (the extra
    > cartridge).

    Only if you do a lot of photos and even then, not drastic in most cases.

    > This would seem not a great advantage in (my) office situation photo
    > stuff is rarely used. Is there any noticeable improvement in photo
    > print outs in the MP780? The MP730 has exceptionally good quality
    > photo prints as is with ordinary M/Y/C.
    >
    > The extra bin feed with duplex printing seems a good idea.

    That was a big plus in my book too

    > Is the Scanning process any faster on the MP780 with now a USB 2.0
    > interface?

    Seems to be though I never really timed it

    > Shame Canon haven't included a network ability or PC fax receiving
    > feature and then they would have a truly all in one that could blitz
    > the market.

    > Not a design flaw (It can only get scratched by handling or feeding
    other
    > than ideal documents such as those with staples in them or heavy
    stock)

    I am the sole user of the printer and it has only had documents fed
    into the ADF that has come out of the printer - no staples and only
    80gm paper.

    > But to answer your question it is available out of warranty (at your
    cost),
    > and MP780 uses a different design which eliminates the need for the
    guide.

    If it not a design fault but due to user abuse, why are Canon prepared
    to replace the sheet guide under warranty? Afterall they wont cover
    print head replacement if using non canon inks. Interesting that the
    plastic sheet guide no longer exists on the new model.

    > Can anyone tell me if the MP730 and MP780 are the same physical
    > dimensions ?
    > Should be available in the specs on Canon's site.

    MP730 439 x 578 x 340 mm (including trays)
    MP780 486 x 472 x 314 mm (minimum dimensions with paper trays and
    other extensions closed)
    Looks like the MP780 is wider but not as deep or high.

    >> Not a design flaw (It can only get scratched by handling or feeding
    > other
    >> than ideal documents such as those with staples in them or heavy
    > stock)
    >
    > I am the sole user of the printer and it has only had documents fed
    > into the ADF that has come out of the printer - no staples and only
    > 80gm paper.
    >

    >> But to answer your question it is available out of warranty (at your
    > cost),
    >> and MP780 uses a different design which eliminates the need for the
    > guide.
    >>

    > If it not a design fault but due to user abuse, why are Canon prepared
    > to replace the sheet guide under warranty? Afterall they wont cover
    > print head replacement if using non canon inks. Interesting that the
    > plastic sheet guide no longer exists on the new model.

    Well perhaps because it is a warrenteed part just like the printhead that
    that do in fact replace under the warranty EVEN if you tell them you are
    using 3rd party inks. At least here in the U.S. they do. Nothing intersting
    about it not being on the new model, totally different design in the
    platen.ADF feed area and it is no longer needed for this reason.

    Hi,

    I'm interested in buying your printer, but first I need to know how
    well it prints photos compared to the mp390. Any comments?

    Tom

    montierths@yahoo.com (Steve) wrote in message news:<380ae824.0411101844.28f16d82@posting.google.com>...
    > Don <w9cw<nospam>@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1bdf6c31b124bdaf989686@netnews.insightbb.com>...
    > > Has the Canon MP730 AIO been discontinued? It seems it has become very
    > > difficult to find.
    > >
    > > Don
    >
    > I just bought a Brand New Canon MP730. It is a pretty awesome machine.
    > Unfortunately I don't need all of the functions that it has and maybe
    > overbought for my needs. The print engine is the same as the Canon
    > i850. If anyone is interested in buying a 3 day old MP730 let me know.

    Based on my reading of the Canon USA web site the MP780 does not have
    the card readers. Is that the way you read it?

    Thanks,

    Tom

    "Tom" <thfrazer1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Based on my reading of the Canon USA web site the MP780 does not have
    > the card readers. Is that the way you read it?

    This is correct. Instead it uses a PictBridge connection for any PictBridge
    compatible camera.
    With the price of 6n1 Card Readers running only 10-15 it is easy enough to
    grab one if that is what you really want.

    What I really want is to be able to print directly from the card
    without having to download it to the computer. Are you saying there is
    a 6 in 1 reader that conects to the Pictbridge outlet on the MP780??
    If so please send me a personal message as this will solve my dilemma.

    Thanks,

    Tom

    "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message news:<cTOqd.9745$T02.8564@lakeread06>...
    > "Tom" <thfrazer1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > Based on my reading of the Canon USA web site the MP780 does not have
    > > the card readers. Is that the way you read it?
    > >

    > This is correct. Instead it uses a PictBridge connection for any PictBridge
    > compatible camera.
    > With the price of 6n1 Card Readers running only 10-15 it is easy enough to
    > grab one if that is what you really want.

    The move from the 3C,3Y,3M (MP730)to the 6C,6Y,6M (MP780)cartridges is
    a mystery to me. Are these the same inks? the 6 series cartridges are
    $5 to $8AUS dearer per OEM cartridge depending on where the cartridges
    are bought. Sound like a good marketing ploy.

Printers Canon Peripherals