Resource for how to set up a simple VPN

September 1, 2004 12:57:43 PM

Where is a good resource for a technologically competent, but not a computer
jock, person to go to figure out how to set up a simple VPN?
Thanks,
Jim
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 9:02:52 PM

Has anyone expanded on this to include XP-SP2 and a GPRS connection?

I can ping my router but am unable to connect. After I establish a GPRS
connection I try to connect to the VPN connection which offers a Username/pw
login screen but when I enter my username it disco's my GPRS connection. I
dont use dialup on my PPC and I don't have external hotspot (just local
wi-fi) so I dont have a means to test further.

Thanks

Mitch

> How about this?
>
> http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/WM2003/WM2003PPTPVPN.html
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 9:57:18 PM

It could be the firewall built into sp2, there are a few options for icmp in
the firewall's advanced settings.

rights...

"Mitch_A" <naman-nospam@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone expanded on this to include XP-SP2 and a GPRS connection?
>
> I can ping my router but am unable to connect. After I establish a GPRS
> connection I try to connect to the VPN connection which offers a
> Username/pw login screen but when I enter my username it disco's my GPRS
> connection. I dont use dialup on my PPC and I don't have external hotspot
> (just local wi-fi) so I dont have a means to test further.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mitch
>

> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> How about this?
>>
>> http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/WM2003/WM2003PPTPVPN.html
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> benefit of all of us...
>> rights...

September 2, 2004 2:05:41 PM

Remove any proxy information from the GPRS connection at the PocketPC.

"Mitch_A" <naman-nospam@pacbell.net> escribió en el mensaje
> Has anyone expanded on this to include XP-SP2 and a GPRS connection?
>
> I can ping my router but am unable to connect. After I establish a GPRS
> connection I try to connect to the VPN connection which offers a
Username/pw
> login screen but when I enter my username it disco's my GPRS connection.
> dont use dialup on my PPC and I don't have external hotspot (just local
> wi-fi) so I dont have a means to test further.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mitch
>

> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> > How about this?
> >
> > http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/WM2003/WM2003PPTPVPN.html
> >
> > --
> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >
> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
> > benefit of all of us...
> > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> > rights...

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 8:27:19 PM

Not sure I follow, can you expand on that? This is on a new iPAQ h6315 and
it configured my GPRS connection automatically.

"Fidelio" <Fidelio@arrakis.net> wrote in message
> Remove any proxy information from the GPRS connection at the PocketPC.
>
> "Mitch_A" <naman-nospam@pacbell.net> escribió en el mensaje
>> Has anyone expanded on this to include XP-SP2 and a GPRS connection?
>>
>> I can ping my router but am unable to connect. After I establish a GPRS
>> connection I try to connect to the VPN connection which offers a
> Username/pw
>> login screen but when I enter my username it disco's my GPRS connection.
>> dont use dialup on my PPC and I don't have external hotspot (just local
>> wi-fi) so I dont have a means to test further.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mitch
>>

>> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> > How about this?
>> >
>> > http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/WM2003/WM2003PPTPVPN.html
>> >
>> > --
>> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>> >
>> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
>> > mutual
>> > benefit of all of us...
>> > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>> > rights...