Cyber Attack: Shamoon Malware Infects, Steals, Wipes MBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I'd like to spend 10 minutes alone with the idiot who created this, in a sound proof room; I will bring my favorite baseball bat.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Shamoon, also known as Disttrack, is unusual as it infects a PC, steals certain data, sends the data to another infected PC and then overwrites the PC's master boot record, which makes the system virtually useless.
Scary, but it's not PC-specific. It's just more Windows malware. Obviously not the usual suspects since most malware is used to gain control of a system for spying or botnets.

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]I'd like to spend 10 minutes alone with the idiot who created this, in a sound proof room; I will bring my favorite baseball bat.[/citation]
Why do you have do many baseball bats that you would have a favorite bat? :p

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
According to the BBC's reporting on the Shamoon bug 2 days ago, it was a Saudi Arabian company, Aramco (their national oil provider and one of the largest in the world) not a Chinese one who first announced they were infected.

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Good article, and if you're worried about it, just make a record of your MBR to a USB drive or dropbox it to yourself.

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/09/01/how-to-backup-and-restore-the-mbr-in-windows/

you can also start your pc up with HIREN'S BOOT CD and restore your MBR from the backup you have made as well :)

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
yawwwnnn lame nothing more then a hindrance rly ... your data is still on the drive, makes for good business i guess if you fix computers :D

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]cRACKmONKEY421[/nom]"makes the system virtually useless"I guess fixmbr doesn't work?[/citation]
LOL @ Wolfgang Gruener. Don't worry monkey, fixmbr always works.

It wouldn't be difficult to make a similar malware for OSX and Linux, especially OSX. It might even be able to simply be ported over. Furthermore, as others have said, it's not hard to avoid letting something like this cause an MBR problem.

G

So they changed a hard-coded file path, and a hard-code service name, ya know, the kind of things that antivirus could look for? Yup, couldn't possibly be the same people, I've authored or co-authored about 10 pieces of software, and I never change file paths or service names...

I never cared about Kaspersky because I run the hardened, server-grade, no-need-for-antivirus OS known as Linux on my home PCs, but if Kaspersky thinks that it couldn't possibly be the same virus because 2 arbitrary file names were changed, then I'll come right out and say that Kasperky are idiots.

*Queue Up Idiots Who Say Linux Doesn't Need Antivirus Because 90% Marketshare of Web Servers Isn't Enough for Hackers to Care About it Yet*

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
It's best to back up the MBR instead of trying to use the generic fixmbr, if you know how these infections hit, and have ever done data recovery, you can't just rebuild something removed and purposefully scrambled if the right things have been introduced to the attack process.

as for the jackass trolls who talk about "PC" systems, they're just pissed that apple computers and phones of all types are being infected at a crazy fast rate, you know the one's that "can't" get infected? lol.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]I think he's talking about his penis.[/citation]
I don't, but I think he does want to "rape" this guy, essentially...of course, in a different context.

G

"two reports of Shamoon in the wild, both cases in China, which led them to believe that the malware was used in "very focused targeted attacks." "

Seriously Chinese Government! please stop making malware! You can't even do it right! It's made out of cheap code that breaks! :)

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]I'd like to spend 10 minutes alone with the idiot who created this, in a sound proof room; I will bring my favorite baseball bat.[/citation]

you could execute him on national tv at the superbowl and i guarantee you no court would convict you.

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Only two reported cases, and in China? Lets be conservative and say that there are half a billion computers in China. That would be a 1 out of 250,000,000 shot to come in contact with this malware. Your odds are actually better in winning the powerball, which is 1 / 175,223,510, and that's if you live in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.