Home networking question

bill

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

I have a cable modem. The place cable modem was hooked up is at one of the
corners of the house. I also have an ethernet network pre-wired in the
house. So I installed a D-Link wired router and feed one of the lines to the
wired network. I also installed a Linksys wireless router to one of the
wired network outlets at the center of the house. In such a way, I have good
reception of the wireless signal.

It works perfectly for computers on both networks to get on Internet. Now my
question is how to let the computers on these two networks talk to each
other? For example, I can ping the computers on wired network from the
computers on the wireless network. But not vice versa. I cannot share the
directories on computers on different networks. Thanks for your help.

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Toss the wireless router and replace it with an Access Point.

--
Ross
"Bill" <bill@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a cable modem. The place cable modem was hooked up is at one of the
> corners of the house. I also have an ethernet network pre-wired in the
> house. So I installed a D-Link wired router and feed one of the lines to
the
> wired network. I also installed a Linksys wireless router to one of the
> wired network outlets at the center of the house. In such a way, I have
good
> reception of the wireless signal.
>
> It works perfectly for computers on both networks to get on Internet. Now
my
> question is how to let the computers on these two networks talk to each
> other? For example, I can ping the computers on wired network from the
> computers on the wireless network. But not vice versa. I cannot share the
> directories on computers on different networks. Thanks for your help.

bill

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

I know very little about access point. My understanding is that Access Point
does not provide the function of a router. Does it act like a hub/switch
such that I can use multiple wireless devices with one access point? I have
bought the hardware. How can I configure my network ot make it work? I am
familiar with the networking theory. So you can throw me with all those
technical stuff. Thanks.

"Ross Durie" <rdurie@caverock.net.nz> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
:pzWxc.600$s52.24945@news.xtra.co.nz...
> Toss the wireless router and replace it with an Access Point.
>
> --
> Ross
> "Bill" <bill@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > I have a cable modem. The place cable modem was hooked up is at one of
the
> > corners of the house. I also have an ethernet network pre-wired in the
> > house. So I installed a D-Link wired router and feed one of the lines to
> the
> > wired network. I also installed a Linksys wireless router to one of the
> > wired network outlets at the center of the house. In such a way, I have
> good
> > reception of the wireless signal.
> >
> > It works perfectly for computers on both networks to get on Internet.
Now
> my
> > question is how to let the computers on these two networks talk to each
> > other? For example, I can ping the computers on wired network from the
> > computers on the wireless network. But not vice versa. I cannot share
the
> > directories on computers on different networks. Thanks for your help.

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

A access point allows you to use wireless network access to access the
network rather than using wired.

You simply plug the wireless access point into your switch/router and
install using the software.

and then you can use laptops with WiFi, or use wireless pci cards for pc's.

Hope this helps

Sam
> I know very little about access point. My understanding is that Access
Point
> does not provide the function of a router. Does it act like a hub/switch
> such that I can use multiple wireless devices with one access point? I
have
> bought the hardware. How can I configure my network ot make it work? I am
> familiar with the networking theory. So you can throw me with all those
> technical stuff. Thanks.
>
> "Ross Durie" <rdurie@caverock.net.nz> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
> :pzWxc.600$s52.24945@news.xtra.co.nz...
> > Toss the wireless router and replace it with an Access Point.
> >
> > --
> > Ross
> > "Bill" <bill@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a cable modem. The place cable modem was hooked up is at one of
> the
> > > corners of the house. I also have an ethernet network pre-wired in the
> > > house. So I installed a D-Link wired router and feed one of the lines
> > the
> > > wired network. I also installed a Linksys wireless router to one of
the
> > > wired network outlets at the center of the house. In such a way, I
have
> > good
> > > reception of the wireless signal.
> > >
> > > It works perfectly for computers on both networks to get on Internet.
> Now
> > my
> > > question is how to let the computers on these two networks talk to
each
> > > other? For example, I can ping the computers on wired network from the
> > > computers on the wireless network. But not vice versa. I cannot share
> the
> > > directories on computers on different networks. Thanks for your help.

bill

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Thanks for the reply. I would like to keep the wireless router since I may
use multiple wireless devices at the same time. My understandind is that I
need a router not an access point to do that. In that case, I have two
subnets.

Theoretically I need to let the computers on the wired network know that
traffic to the wireless subnet goes to the wireless router and the rest goes
to the router connected to the cable modem. So I need to add this
information to routing tables for those computers. But, I don't know how. Am
I on the right track? Thanks for your help.

"GarvieS" <nospam145@ntlworld.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
:aD3yc.36$LA.18@newsfe1-gui.server.ntli.net...
> A access point allows you to use wireless network access to access the
> network rather than using wired.
>
> You simply plug the wireless access point into your switch/router and
> install using the software.
>
> and then you can use laptops with WiFi, or use wireless pci cards for
pc's.

> Hope this helps
>
> Sam
> "Bill" <bill@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > I know very little about access point. My understanding is that Access
> Point
> > does not provide the function of a router. Does it act like a hub/switch
> > such that I can use multiple wireless devices with one access point? I
> have
> > bought the hardware. How can I configure my network ot make it work? I
am
> > familiar with the networking theory. So you can throw me with all those
> > technical stuff. Thanks.
> >
> > "Ross Durie" <rdurie@caverock.net.nz> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
> > :pzWxc.600$s52.24945@news.xtra.co.nz...
> > > Toss the wireless router and replace it with an Access Point.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ross
> > > "Bill" <bill@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > the
> > > the
> the
> have
> > > good

Internet.
> > Now
> > > my
> each
> > the

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Try this alternative...... A way to add the wireless router to your
network. You can also share files across networks by using the IP
addresses.
http://www.pccitizen.com/correctwireless.htm
John

"Bill" <bill@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a cable modem. The place cable modem was hooked up is at one of the
> corners of the house. I also have an ethernet network pre-wired in the
> house. So I installed a D-Link wired router and feed one of the lines to
the
> wired network. I also installed a Linksys wireless router to one of the
> wired network outlets at the center of the house. In such a way, I have
good
> reception of the wireless signal.
>
> It works perfectly for computers on both networks to get on Internet. Now
my
> question is how to let the computers on these two networks talk to each
> other? For example, I can ping the computers on wired network from the
> computers on the wireless network. But not vice versa. I cannot share the
> directories on computers on different networks. Thanks for your help.

--
Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
homenetworking environments!