Where to compare graphics cards?

maverick77_uk

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Hi there,

I currently have a Radeon 9550 AGP graphics card and have got my eyes open for a change. Although I'm pretty up to date with whats available, I get a it confused regarding comparing chips eg. how does a budget new chip eg X300 performance compare to mid-range older chips such as 9700? Thats just one exmaple of the many. I'd also like to compare NVidia and ATI chips. I know there are many reviews, but usually comparisons are made only between the same generation of chips.

Is there a site thats compares all chips from say the last few years? For instance is a Geforce 4600TI beter or worse than a Geforce 6200??? I know the 6200 is a DX9 part whereas the 4600 is a DX8.1 part, but power-wise if playing a slightly older game, which would be the best?

Thanks for your help

Anyway to answer that question yes, wikipedia is the absolute best comparisons and specs for all video cards from any generation

No it's not, it doesn't even have the vertex engine/pipe information.

Roajk Pot's list is far more useful (and likely a source for some of Wiki's info);

http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=88

However even with all that info you wouldn't know which is better based on the archiecture alone. Only benchmarks would tell you which is better than which other card, hence alot of people being surprised when their FX5200/5600 sucked compared to their older GF4ti.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
"hence alot of people being surprised when their FX5200/5600 sucked compared to their older GF4ti."

Which is exactly why I like wikipedia--it explains all that. It compares GeForce4 Ti 4200 and says it outperforms the FX5700 "in many tests", etc. If you are willing to read the info and not just look at the charts, wikipedia has given me all the info I ever needed. And it DOES give the vertex engine/pipe information, for each and every possible variant of any vid card, whether 6800GS or even the rare 6610XL. It's great.

EDIT: Oh, you have to click the link to the appropriate GeForce series to get the in-depth info.