Network Troubles Again

Last response: in Video Games
March 16, 2005 7:03:55 PM

Some people here believe that setting up a network is an easy thing.
Although sometimes I don't find it as easy. It's been two days now
and I can't get two computers to see anything more than printers and
the scheduler.

Here is what happened:

I needed more room on my 120GB HD. I used Partition Magic 8 to
change the drive E cluster size from 4k to 512 bytes. PM8 toasted my
system partition. So I tried to resize it to move what was still
good to another partition. PM8 toasted it again and now the whole
partition can't be read anymore.

Oh well I wanted to move that drive to this 1.2GHZ machine anyway.
Now would be a good time since the Windows 2000 on the 533MHZ
machine is now toast! I do backups of my data, but not of my system
files. Yet my data files are still intact, go figure.

I did move the working OS from this 1.2GHZ and moved it on the
533MHZ machine. I never had any luck moving one installed OS to
another computer as all of the drivers are wrong. Well it looked
like it was locking up. So I wiped it out and reinstalled the OS.
Guess what? The same thing.

I forgot that Windows defaults to the on the MB video card. Swapped
the video cables and sure enough. Oh well too late now! Both
machines instead of one has to be done from scratch.

What a pain in the butt! The good news is that FS9 sound is now
controllable. As it wasn't adjustable before.

Now I can't share any files over the network. Both computers have
the same problem. I can share them (so it says), but the little hand
never shows up under the folders. Thus they never share.

Thus those that believes this stuff is easy have any ideas?

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

More about : network troubles

March 16, 2005 7:03:56 PM

BillW50 wrote:
> good to another partition. PM8 toasted it again and now the whole
> partition can't be read anymore.
>
> Oh well I wanted to move that drive to this 1.2GHZ machine anyway.

> Guess what? The same thing.
>

> the video cables and sure enough. Oh well too late now! Both
> machines instead of one has to be done from scratch.

Reminds me of the old axiom:

Saw to size
File to fit
If it don't fit, force it
If it breaks, the damn thing needed replaced anyway.....

Other than that, I'm no help at all Bill - good luck!

Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
Don
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 7:10:09 PM

Hi Bill, How are these computers connected? Hub, switch? router?
crossover cable?
Do they each have a different name?
Tom

--

Life is a toilet bowl...
With regular flushing it stays clean....

Well Don... Believe it or not... I do feel better although my
networking still isn't working. Thank goodness for my sneakernet
USB2 HD. That baby has never failed me yet. <grin>

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:07:53 -0600

Reminds me of the old axiom:

Saw to size
File to fit
If it don't fit, force it
If it breaks, the damn thing needed replaced anyway.....

Other than that, I'm no help at all Bill - good luck!

Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
Don
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 6:50:37 AM

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 04:08:47 GMT

You aren't running your firewall with out of the box settings
are you?

Hi Carl... The hardware firewall is only effective between the
network going to the net. Within the home network, it has no effect
at all. Plus it was working before the reinstall of two OS anyway.
And the hardware firewall hasn't been changed.

Even so, it doesn't explain why the share icon doesn't show up in
the shared folders anyway.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 5:40:43 PM

What OS? 2000Pro. XP-Home? XP-Pro?

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 04:08:47 GMT

You aren't running your firewall with out of the box settings
are you?

Hi Carl... The hardware firewall is only effective between the
network going to the net. Within the home network, it has no effect
at all. Plus it was working before the reinstall of two OS anyway.
And the hardware firewall hasn't been changed.

Even so, it doesn't explain why the share icon doesn't show up in
the shared folders anyway.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 10:03:17 PM

Do you have "file" and printer sharing enabled on both?

BillW50 wrote:
> [...]

March 18, 2005 3:53:16 AM

Hi Phillip. Like the tag says, Windows 2000. See next message in
thread for what the problem was, I think.

Bill

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:40:43 -0600

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 04:08:47 GMT

You aren't running your firewall with out of the box settings
are you?

Hi Carl... The hardware firewall is only effective between the
network going to the net. Within the home network, it has no effect
at all. Plus it was working before the reinstall of two OS anyway.
And the hardware firewall hasn't been changed.

Even so, it doesn't explain why the share icon doesn't show up in
the shared folders anyway.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 4:00:44 AM

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:03:17 -0500

Do you have "file" and printer sharing enabled on both?

Yeap Tom! And it appears the first thing you share cannot be a
drive. Otherwise it just won't work. You have to share a folder
first. Then you can share a drive. Then you can unshare that folder
you shared first. Must be some sort of Windows 2000 bug or
something. I sure find the good problems, don't I?

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 9:54:30 PM

Nope that only works until you reboot. Then the shared drive no longer
shares again. I need at least one folder shared before setting a drive to be
shared. Does XP have the same problem?

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP Pavilion 8655c under 2000)

Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 01:00:44 GMT

Yeap Tom! And it appears the first thing you share cannot be a
drive. Otherwise it just won't work. You have to share a folder
first. Then you can share a drive. Then you can unshare that folder
you shared first. Must be some sort of Windows 2000 bug or
something. I sure find the good problems, don't I?

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 9:54:31 PM

> Nope that only works until you reboot. Then the shared drive no longer
> shares again. I need at least one folder shared before setting a drive to
be
> shared. Does XP have the same problem?

No. And I have never seen this with Win2000 either,...you are the first.

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 9:54:32 PM

Let's pick on this a little more.

1. Right-click on Network Places ---> Properties
2. Pick "Advanced" at the Top Menu
3. "Pick Advanced Settings..." from the menu that drops down.

Assuming only one Connection shows up in the upper box (RA Connections
doesn't count here), when you select that Connection are all of the
Checkboxes checked in the lower box involving Client fo MS Networks and File
& Print sharing?

--

> "BillW50" <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote in message
>
> > Nope that only works until you reboot. Then the shared drive no longer
> > shares again. I need at least one folder shared before setting a drive
> be
> > shared. Does XP have the same problem?
>
> No. And I have never seen this with Win2000 either,...you are the first.
>
> --
>
> Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
> www.wandtv.com

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:51:57 AM

Hi Phillip! Yes all true. And I just checked my laptop and that makes three computers now that act the same.

And I also see the error of my ways. As Default Shares (any share name ending with a $) are always shared by default every time you boot up. They don't get the share icon because Windows treats these shares differently. And these shares only applies to the local machine and not to the network. Thus sharing them has no effect and the network will never see them.

The proper way to share a drive, is to add a new share name (not ending with $). Now it works like any network share. Good grief! And some claim this networking stuff is easy.

Bill

Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:08:00 -0600

Let's pick on this a little more.

1. Right-click on Network Places ---> Properties
2. Pick "Advanced" at the Top Menu
3. "Pick Advanced Settings..." from the menu that drops down.

Assuming only one Connection shows up in the upper box (RA Connections
doesn't count here), when you select that Connection are all of the
Checkboxes checked in the lower box involving Client fo MS Networks and File
& Print sharing?

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

"Phillip Windell" <@.> wrote in message
> "BillW50" <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote in message
>
> > Nope that only works until you reboot. Then the shared drive no longer
> > shares again. I need at least one folder shared before setting a drive
> be
> > shared. Does XP have the same problem?
>
> No. And I have never seen this with Win2000 either,...you are the first.
>
> --
>
> Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
> www.wandtv.com

March 19, 2005 2:51:58 AM

BillW50 wrote:
> ending with $). Now it works like any network share. Good grief! And
> some claim this networking stuff is easy.

Hey Bill, if it were easy any Varmit could do it..... d:->))
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 1:12:35 PM

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:51:57 GMT, "BillW50" <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote:

[snip]
>As Default Shares (any share name ending with a $)
[snip]

For reference, these are often referred to as Administrative Shares
and are provided so that system administrators can gain access to
drives without needing the drives explicitly shared. There's also the
ADMIN$ and IPC$ shares (the latter being InterProcess Communication
IIRC).

These shares are (ostensibly) only accessible to those with
Administrator privs on the machine.

I use the C$ shares a lot to access INI and other config files on user
machines without needing to interrupt the user.

Carl
--
"Rude alert. Rude alert. An electrical fire has knocked out my voice
recognition unicycle. Many Wurlitzers are missing from my database. Abandon

> are always shared by default every time you boot up. They don't get the
share icon
> because Windows treats these shares differently. And these shares only
applies to the
> local machine and not to the network. Thus sharing them has no effect and
the network

They are just plain "shared". There is no such thing as local or network in
that context. The only difference between them and a regular share is that
your account must be included in the Administrators Group,... there is no
"hand" icon,... and you have the type them in manually because they are
invisible to Network Plaes. The "$" after any sharename will make that
sharename invisible in Network Places.

You can create any share you want and add a "$" to the end of the name and
create the same effect,...it is completely available but it just doesn't
show in Network Places and I don't believe it will have the "hand" icon. Who
can access it just depends on what you establish as permissions (Share level
& NTFS level) when you create them.

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 1:47:14 AM

But if you are in the Administrator's group, here's a "quick and dirty" way
of quickly accessing the default (C$, etc.) shares. Open a Command Prompt
box, and enter the following:

NET USE * \\computername\c$ (or whatever drive you wish to connect to.

This will map the c$ share to the next available drive letter on your
computer.

Good when you're in a hurry...

> > are always shared by default every time you boot up. They don't get the
> share icon
> > because Windows treats these shares differently. And these shares only
> applies to the
> > local machine and not to the network. Thus sharing them has no effect
and
> the network
>
> They are just plain "shared". There is no such thing as local or network
in
> that context. The only difference between them and a regular share is that
> your account must be included in the Administrators Group,... there is no
> "hand" icon,... and you have the type them in manually because they are
> invisible to Network Plaes. The "$" after any sharename will make that
> sharename invisible in Network Places.
>
> You can create any share you want and add a "$" to the end of the name and
> create the same effect,...it is completely available but it just doesn't
> show in Network Places and I don't believe it will have the "hand" icon.
Who
> can access it just depends on what you establish as permissions (Share
level
> & NTFS level) when you create them.
>
> --
>
> Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
> www.wandtv.com

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 7:05:37 PM

Hi Carl, Phillip, and Bill...

I only got the impression that these Administration shares were only on
a local machine and not networked from an earlier Google search on the
topic. And that is what gave me that impression.

Gosh... I don't like learning about this! It's cool for us good guys,
but that leaves the backdoor right open for the bad guys. As it sounds
like anybody off of the Internet who manages to get through your
firewall and logs on one of the Administrators accounts, will have
access to everything? Is this so? Worse is that I also use WiFi here.
Although my WiFi is pretty well locked down using WPA. But even still.

Although doing another Google, I found a method to disable these shares.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters"
Add DWORD value of 0 to the key name "AutoShareWks". After a
reboot, they are permanently gone!

Much earlier and shortly after my last post about this subject. I was
playing around with different computers here. And on one laptop, I
created a normal share for drive C. And then later, I went to delete it,
but I deleted the C$ one instead! Don't ask me how Windows 2000 allowed
me to do this. Well I thought no big deal, I'll just recreate the C$ one
once again.

Now I use two text files in the root folder as temporary files. I use
them between different word processors and email programs. And I also
have hotkeys to open them up with NotePad. And I never had a problem
opening them up while still in use by another application. As NotePad
still opens them just fine. Of course, you can't modify them while in
use, but that is fine by me.

Although now NotePad reports "Access is Denied" sometimes on these
machine. Although I also have NotePad in my Sent To in Windows Explorer.
What a pain doing it that way, but that would also now start popping up
"Access is Denied" messages.

I'm not sure, but I believe I have them working once again by deleting
them and then by recreating them. Too soon to tell yet.

Also I've been getting svchost.exe has created error messages and will
be shutdown by Windows on this same machine. Although I haven't noticed
anything not working correctly (except the Denied above which could be
totally unrelated). It seems to happen just once whenever I come out of
Standby or Hibernation mode. There should be a log somewhere so I can
see what this one instance was actually controlling. Anybody know where
I can find it?

Well that is enough of my network problems for others to chew on right
now. Hopefully they will be getting better here.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 5:06:58 AM

If someone can get through your firewall and log on as Administrator you have other, bigger problems than if they can
access your C$ drive.
Don't forget to review your backup account security if you have one. Most likely you don't have it enabled if you are
not on a domain.
--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"BillW50" <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote in message news:lzB0e.18090$VF.902@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com...

[...]

March 25, 2005 6:47:05 AM

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 02:06:58 GMT

If someone can get through your firewall and log on as
Administrator you have other, bigger problems than if they can
access your C$ drive.

Good point Carl! What the heck was I thinking of? As I didn't have any
coffee for like a week. Then I downed 10 cups in an hour and then I
typed my post. <grin>

Don't forget to review your backup account security if you have
one. Most likely you don't have it enabled if you are not on a
domain.

I don't follow you there. I even did a Google search of "backup account
security" and I got six hits. Although I have renamed the user named
Administrator to something else though on all of my computers (and made
the passwords much tougher). Of course, all Guest accounts have been
disabled from day one. That should slow someone down quite a bit, one
would hope. By the way, those stealth hardware firewalls and then
running though a router are just wonderful.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 6:20:45 PM

I don't know about the "backup account security", but I think you are safe.
I never even bother to rename the Admin account. They can't try to "guess"
the Admin password until they are first presented with a "credentials
prompt" to do that,...and how are they going to do that unless they are
sitting at another machine physically on your LAN? And if they were that
close why bother with another machine?....they'd just sit at the machine
itself, hit Crtl-Alt-Del and keep trying passwords as their beard grew
longer.

Now if you had a real Server that was exposing "services" intensionally to
the Internet, that is a little different.

It just isn't like the Hollywood movies, and it isn't like watching The
Matrix.

--

I don't follow you there. I even did a Google search of "backup account
security" and I got six hits. Although I have renamed the user named
Administrator to something else though on all of my computers (and made
the passwords much tougher). Of course, all Guest accounts have been
disabled from day one. That should slow someone down quite a bit, one
would hope. By the way, those stealth hardware firewalls and then
running though a router are just wonderful.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:42:55 AM

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:20:45 -0600

... I never even bother to rename the Admin account. They can't try
to "guess" the Admin password until they are first presented with a
"credentials prompt" to do that,...and how are they going to do
that unless they are sitting at another machine physically on your
LAN? And if they were that close why bother with another
machine?....they'd just sit at the machine itself, hit Crtl-Alt-Del
and keep trying passwords as their beard grew longer.

Well Phillip... I also run a wireless network here. And the whole game
changes! As instead of a hacker trying to get through the Internet
(which someone like me has lots of protection), they can get through on
the less secured inside. While I knew someone with the right equipment
could see and perhaps access your computer up to a mile away. While the
rest of us are lucky if we could see our network just 150 feet away.

And with WLAN, they don't need to sit next to you and keep trying
passwords until their beards grew long. As hackers have software which
does that for them many times per second. And they can go to sleep and
wake up later and have the password cracked. And renaming the user named
Administrator, only makes their task that much harder.

I was just listening to Kevin Mitnick a few days ago who talked about a
hacker's conference in Las Vegas called something like Deathcom. And
they had a contest to see how far away someone could still access
someone's WLAN. And the winner went to somebody who could at 51 miles
away. That is just amazing!

Now if you had a real Server that was exposing "services"
intensionally to the Internet, that is a little different.

I've been actually thinking of doing such a thing. Although I am not in
any great hurry.

It just isn't like the Hollywood movies, and it isn't like watching
The Matrix.

Kevin also talked about people who don't pay for any Internet access
anymore. As they simply use their directional antenna and steal someone
else's from a (usually from an open) WLAN. That in itself makes for a
great Hollywood movie right there. By the way, ever seen that movie
called "War Games"? I really liked that one.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:41:49 PM

> Well Phillip... I also run a wireless network here. And the whole game
> changes!

Wireless does change things, and I have refused to use wireless because I
don't rust it.

> And with WLAN, they don't need to sit next to you and keep trying
> passwords until their beards grew long. As hackers have software which
> does that for them many times per second.

That really isn't that fast. I tried it on our system here and some of the
passwords took several weeks. The most complex password still hadn't been
cracked even after 3 mouths of leaving the thing sit there running.

> someone's WLAN. And the winner went to somebody who could at 51 miles
> away. That is just amazing!

That is definitly the longest distance I've heard of. But what they may not
be telling you in those things is that they are connecting to "open"
wireless systems that have no type of encryption. A properly setup
wireless LAN could take months or years to "brute-force" the
encryption,...and even then that only gets you on the LAN, you still have to
crack the user passwords after that to be able to access anything. However,
you could borrow thier Internet bandwith at that point unless they ran a
Proxy Server like maybe ISA where it required user account authentication to
use the Internet.

>Kevin also talked about people who don't pay for any Internet access
> anymore. As they simply use their directional antenna and steal someone
> else's from a (usually from an open) WLAN.

Yes that is true, but the operative word their is "open" WLAN. If you don't
run it "open" you won't be one of those victems. But like I said, I still,
up to this point do not use any WLANS. I may eventually at home where there
really isn't much there for anyone to steal. But I would fight pretty
strongly against it here at work.

> great Hollywood movie right there. By the way, ever seen that movie
> called "War Games"? I really liked that one.

Yea, that was really the "first" movie of its type if I remember correctly.
But they were military and I think a grenade or a little c-4 in the WOPR
Room could have solved that real easy. The next movie I like along those
lines was "The Net". It was way over the edge as far as reality, but it was
a great fantasy. An then there was Sandra Bullock too, :-)

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:06:12 PM

Hi Phillip... Well according to what Kevin Mitnick had said was you
could crack into a WLAN using WEP by capturing their packets for about 6
hours. Then run those packets through WEPCrack (uses the latest
discovered weakness of RC4 key scheduling) and out pops the WLANs WEP
encryption code. Before I heard what Kevin had said, I heard it could be
done within 24 hours.

Also I have just recently learned that the older implication of WEP-
Shared is flawed. As any good authentication connection to the WLAN,
just gave the hacker all of the information they needed to break in. See
for example:

http://www.cwnp.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=487&

I use the more secure WPA encryption here. Although I believe back in
November of last year, someone discovered how to crack this one as well.
See for example:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=9

Which in part states: "Both (hacking) tools clearly illustrate the
futility of the reliance on passwords or passphrases for
authentication." Gee, that doesn't sound too good, does it?

What is so strange is when I first step up my system here. I was
broadcasting in WEP. But I didn't use it for another week. And when I
setup my laptops to use the wireless, I could see about 3 or 4 others
out there with very acceptable signal strength. I thought they were
neighbors. But I don't see them anymore since I changed over to WPA. Now
I am thinking they were just wardrivers just trying to hack in.

Now Kevin also stated that he runs his WLAN totally unprotected. He
explained that he treats the WLAN setup as a totally unsecured source.
So anybody accessing it, only has the Internet available to them. He
also stated that he captures their packets to see what they are up to.

Now I am one of the good guys and I'm scratching my head why he does
something like this? Then I had to pretend that I was a bad guy for a
second before it all made sense. What a gold mine worth of stealable
information running your own public WiFi. As you can get user names,
passwords, bank accounts, card cards, and who knows what else by
sniffing their packets? You know, Kevin has gone to jail twice already
for hacking. Why he leaves the door open to get into trouble again is
beyond me.

Also you know those commercially available keyboard loggers aren't
detected by any anti-spyware software? The reason, as they are legal!
Now comes the very bad news. What does the bad guys use? Those
commercially available ones, of course.

Speaking about Hollywood, I have tried to watch "The Net" with Sandra
Bullock (yeah I like her a lot too) twice when it first was released on
tape. As something always comes up and I only get halfway through it. So
don't tell me anymore. Maybe I'll try again this weekend. Heck, I'll pop
it in right now! <grin>

Ever seen the movie "Hackers"? It's about this one really bad hacker
with a multimillion dollar super computer. And then wars with a small
group of some pretty good average hackers with so-so computers. And I
can't tell you anymore without giving it away. <grin>

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:41:49 -0600
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 12:52:55 PM

> Now Kevin also stated that he runs his WLAN totally unprotected. He
> explained that he treats the WLAN setup as a totally unsecured source.
> So anybody accessing it, only has the Internet available to them. He
> also stated that he captures their packets to see what they are up to.

Examining traffic from someone who comes into your system invited isn't
hacking. I think he is just examining what the people "stealing" his
bandwidth are doing. In this case there are the intruders, not him. I have
done similar things with setting a FTP Server out on the Net and leave it
open to anonymous uploads. I would then examine what they uploaded and study
the FTP logs to see how they found out it was there and that it accepted
uploads.

I imagine by now, he knows what will get him in trouble and what won't. :-)

> Ever seen the movie "Hackers"? It's about this one really bad hacker
> with a multimillion dollar super computer. And then wars with a small

No, I haven't seen that one. I forgot about that one, I may have to hunt it
down later on.

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 8:24:20 PM

> Examining traffic from someone who comes into your system invited isn't

I meant "uninvited",..sorry...

--

!