Microsoft Loopback adapter

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Hi All!
Does any one have any suggestion about following problem's solution:

I've installed Subj. to make me able to test my Client <-> Server pair of
applications on 'localhost' with no physical network connection. ( I'm
talking about Windows XP )

1. Strange thing that IPCONFIG shows me now some bizzare address instead of
127.0.0.1 against of Loopback connection.
2. In properties of connection I can't set IP = "127.0.0.1". It says
addresses started by 127 is being used for localhost connection and such
address couldn't be specified.
3. If my Server side is listening say port 80 then it definetely catches any
IE requests to 'localhost', HOWEVER my own Client application which is
simpier then simplest MSDN example got WSAECONNREFUSED error.
4. In some circumstance... when I played with connecting to Internet by
Dialup, Started and Stopped other connections I have on PC it worked, but I
caouldn't spot exact condition.

So do you know what could be the Key to this Chest?

Thanks a lot!
Gnum

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:59:54 -0700, "Gnum" <no-email@mail.boo> wrote:

>Hi All!
>Does any one have any suggestion about following problem's solution:
>
>I've installed Subj. to make me able to test my Client <-> Server pair of
>applications on 'localhost' with no physical network connection. ( I'm
>talking about Windows XP )
>
>1. Strange thing that IPCONFIG shows me now some bizzare address instead of
>127.0.0.1 against of Loopback connection.
>2. In properties of connection I can't set IP = "127.0.0.1". It says
>addresses started by 127 is being used for localhost connection and such
>address couldn't be specified.
>3. If my Server side is listening say port 80 then it definetely catches any
>IE requests to 'localhost', HOWEVER my own Client application which is
>simpier then simplest MSDN example got WSAECONNREFUSED error.
>4. In some circumstance... when I played with connecting to Internet by
>Dialup, Started and Stopped other connections I have on PC it worked, but I
>caouldn't spot exact condition.

As far as I'm aware, you don't have to install the Loopback adapter to
do what you're looking to do. Just have the Server and Clinet both
point to 127.0.0.1, and the data should transfer with no problem.

I resisted 'till I couldn't take it anymore.

(sigh) Address altered against Spam.

Replace the -at- and put the "spring-mind" in the correct order

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Thanks all!
Actualy I figured it out! I've found one service installed and running on
this PC which was blocking unrecognizable packets.
As soon as I stoped this service - it started working perfectly.

Thanks!
Gnum

"mhaase-at-springmind.com" <mhaase-at-springmind.com@> wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:59:54 -0700, "Gnum" <no-email@mail.boo> wrote:
>
> >Hi All!
> >Does any one have any suggestion about following problem's solution:
> >
> >I've installed Subj. to make me able to test my Client <-> Server pair of
> >applications on 'localhost' with no physical network connection. ( I'm
> >talking about Windows XP )
> >
> >1. Strange thing that IPCONFIG shows me now some bizzare address instead
of
> >127.0.0.1 against of Loopback connection.
> >2. In properties of connection I can't set IP = "127.0.0.1". It says
> >addresses started by 127 is being used for localhost connection and such
> >address couldn't be specified.
> >3. If my Server side is listening say port 80 then it definetely catches
any
> >IE requests to 'localhost', HOWEVER my own Client application which is
> >simpier then simplest MSDN example got WSAECONNREFUSED error.
> >4. In some circumstance... when I played with connecting to Internet by
> >Dialup, Started and Stopped other connections I have on PC it worked, but
> >caouldn't spot exact condition.
>

> As far as I'm aware, you don't have to install the Loopback adapter to
> do what you're looking to do. Just have the Server and Clinet both
> point to 127.0.0.1, and the data should transfer with no problem.
>

> I resisted 'till I couldn't take it anymore.
>
> (sigh) Address altered against Spam.
>
> Replace the -at- and put the "spring-mind" in the correct order

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

If no network adapter installed on computer the loopback adapter have to be
installed , because
automatically it installed only with real NIC
Arkady