epox 9npa ultra, i dont have sound, can you help?

jdecker

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2005
I built my system a few months ago, epox 9npa+ Ultra nForce4, everything went fine. Except I never hooked up any speakers. Now I can't figure out how to get sound.

I vaguely remember that people were talking about 2 sound driver options, the Realtec and the nVidia. I think people said the Realtec were better sound quality, but the nVidia were less processor intensive. It looks like I installed the nVidia drivers (I can see them as an option to REMOVE, when I go to add/remove programs).

The only speakers I have are my old ones. Just 2 speakers, not the whole 5 speaker thing. there is one wire that goes from the right speaker to the computer. Another that goes from the right speaker to the left speaker. Another that goes from the right speaker to power. How do I plug that into the board? The wire does not fit into the 6 sound things on the back of the board (the green, blue, pink, orange, purple, black).

The plug does fit on headphone jack at the front, but I don't get any sound. I figure that is because the front audio on my computer case is not connected to the motherboard. But I cannot figure out where the audio wire from the case is supposed to connect to, on the motherboard!!! The audio wire has 2 rows of 5 connecters, with the second one blocked out. Anybody know where this goes to?

The motherboard manual says:
Audio:
Selectable 2, 6 or 8-CH audio from onboard RealTek ALC850 AC¡¦97 v2.3 compliant CODEC.
Support Aux-In, CD-In, S/PDIF-in and S/PDIF-out
Support Front panel audio for Mic-In and stereo Line-out only. (Front panel Line-out electrically shared with rear panel Line-out)
Support Auto Jack Sensing for fool-proof audio device installation
Support SPDIF Coaxial output.
Support SPDIF Optical output

So it looks like my case audio wire SHOULD connect to something, the one above that says:
Support Front panel audio for Mic-In and stereo Line-out only. (Front panel Line-out electrically shared with rear panel Line-out)

Or is there some sort of adapter I need, in order to connect my speakers to the motherboard? I would connect it to the green connector, is that right?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
d00d, it's supposed to fit ONE of those 6 sound thingies on the back! Look at the manual and figure out which one is Front (left and right), that would be the correct place. If the plug fits the front panel it should have no problem fitting the correct jack on the board!

Usually you plug the speakers into the green outlet.

did you check in the Device Manager if any sound card drivers have been installed? Also check if any playback devices show under the Audio tab in the Sound setting in the Control Panel

mrfederalist

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2004
Did you change the jumper settings on the onboard audio? I got mine to work this weeked. Without changing the jumpers I was able to get a speaker set like yours to work. Needed to pick set up the sound using the onboard audio setups.